Are You Addicted to Wheat?
Wow, this is a must-watch. I've been more or less low-carb for a while and this shocked my world. I thought going organic whole grain made a real difference if I was going to eat grains. Growing up with bread, pasta, and the like being like water -- life blood -- it has been long road to snap out of that view. Suffice it to say I am going to read the book and give it a try. Seriously, give the doctor an ear. Very interesting.

I've seen this book before, but never read it.

I think it's interesting to note that he's not against grains in particular like a Paleo Diet, but specifically against wheat. Rice, for example, would seem to be ok.

There are two big camps on this nutritious revolution, one is little to no meat with whole food vegetables and grains, the other is little to no grains with whole food vegetables and meats. I have vet to figure out which one is "correct", but I have noticed some agreement between the two. They both agree lots of sugar (and supposedly carbs) can be detrimental can cause weight gain, they both reject processed foods (whole foods only), and they both claim to have seen significant increases in health through the nutrition alone.

Anyone else have more experience with this?
I have developed numerous health problems all related to cancer and the cure thereof (think "we had to destroy the village to save it").  O e of these is a new gluten allergy (NB: not the same thing as celiac, which is a subset of gluten allergy disorders). Eliminating wheat is the most difficult thing to do.  Even prisoners gets bread and water.  Wheat is in everything.  Lunch meat, drinks, a million things you would never think in a million years would have even the remotest connection to wheat.  Read the label.  It's there.

As a result, I can only eat made from scratch (read: make your own flour in a blender from raw, organic things like almonds that are not processed and picked by you, personally or on a farm that doesn't grow wheat or use farm machinery that has previously been used to harvest or process wheat.)

A true wheat allergy means your life as you knew it is over.  It means going to business or company lunches and not eating, no dinners out, etc.  you have no concept until you do it. 

So, how do I receive the Eucharist?  Low gluten host ? Nope.  I just do anyway and have not had a reaction.  I guess I am like Thomas, having proof of what previously I knew by faith only: the bread is GONE.  I received only the Body.  I eat something with wheat, I get I'll, usually breaking out in a bad rash (dermatitis herpetiformis).  To my knowledge I have never reacted to the Eucharist. 

Deo Gratias.
Guys,
while I am not a medical man (I'm a IT/break-fix guy and former graphic artist), I am a celiac, as are two of my three kids and two of my three brothers. Gliadin is THE protein in wheat. It is the particular item my body reacts to as if poisonous to it, in the context of celiac disease. In the days before my diagnosis, eating five thousand calories a day, I lost weight while eating all manner of glutenous foods, in addition to constantly being violently ill. I would gently remind folks that the author in question here is NOT an expert in the field he's written the book for. His training is in cardiology. I would also gently point toward gliadin, and say that while it is certainly a bane for myself and the twins, it's also always been the protein found in wheat, no matter whether GMO'd or not. For those concerned about gluten, there are those who claim improvements in some children with autism spectrum conditions. My next younger brother's son has autism, and he is gluten-free, as my house is, and Jim believes that this has helped his son. And I know some who have what might best be termed gluten intolerance, which responds favorably to the GF diet. But it's no panacea. If any fellow fishes think they might have either celiac disease or be gluten intolerant, I'd caution against adopting the diet before checking with a doctor. As difficult as it was, we waited on changing the girls' diet for a year, until we could get conclusive results. That's especially important with regard to those with kids in public schools (where inconclusive testing may be disregarded) or hospitals. In both of those cases, a chasm exists between what is thought of as a preference and a genuine medical condition.

On the other hand, there are lots of things to eat. But we have become label readers, and we're familiar with what brands to buy due to how well a given firm follows food labeling laws. We're also big on rice. But having been born in Japan, I've always been big on rice, so no problems there.  :)

May I suggest that those interested in the Doctor's dietary claims read the items posted here (http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/nav/start.asp?webtag=celiac&&gid=2001133606). That is the Celiac Disease Online Support Group, of which I'm a member. I respect his evident hard work (Phd), and he may or may not have something valid claims, but even were I not a celiac, I would not follow this diet. But then, if I weren't a celiac, I'd still be able to eat Twizzlers.  :LOL: