NCR on the Latin Mass
(12-10-2012, 12:29 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(12-10-2012, 12:18 AM)Poche Wrote: Why worry about what the National Catholic Reporter says. They have an editorial policy that is at odds with the Catholic Church. If you spend your time eorrying about what they have to say it wont do you any good. They wont cheange and you spend your time being miserable.
Huh? Huh? Huh?

That may be, but the Catholic Church seems to think the name is accurate enough.  I'm sure someone would request a name change if they didn't embody a Catholic spirit-- we've seen this done before, where someone in the hierarchy sues someone for using the name "Catholic" in their business. 

When and where? I have never known a Church entity to sue over the use of the name 'Catholic'. In fact, in 1968, the Ordinary of Kansas City-St Joseph denounced NCR for heresy and asked that they drop the word Catholic from their masthead. They refused. Only obedient Catholics like Voris obey that sort of request.

Wikipedia Wrote:In 1968, NCR's ordinary, Bishop Charles Herman Helmsing "issue[d] a public reprimand for their policy of crusading against the Church's teachings," condemning its "poisonous character" and "disregard and denial of the most sacred values of our Catholic faith." [11] Helmsing warned that NCR's writers were likely guilty of heresy, had likely incurred latae sententiae excommunications, and because the publication "does not reflect the teaching of the Church, but on the contrary, has openly and deliberately opposed this teaching," he "ask[ed] the editors in all honesty to drop the term 'Catholic' from their masthead," because "[b]y retaining it they deceive their Catholic readers and do a great disservice to ecumenism by being responsible for the false irenicism of watering down Catholic teachings."[12]
NCR refused to comply with its ordinary, and 66 Catholic journalists signed a statement disagreeing with the condemnation based on its "underlying definition of the legitimate boundaries of religious journalism in service to the church."[13] The Catholic Press Association reported that the dispute arose from a difference of opinion regarding the function of the press."

As to the CPA statement in the last sentence, it is instructive that the NCR has received 'excellence awards' from said 'Catholic' Press Association every year since at least 2000!
A few years ago the Archdiocese of Atlanta sued a protestant denomination (Capilla de Fe) for leading the people to think that they were Catholic churches. I think they were almost put out of business.
They also sued a dissident liberal Catholic group to prevent them from naming their church after Mother Theresa of Calcutta.
I couldn't resist.  I posted a comment on their page.  Let's see how long it stays up.
lol NCR readers having a nutty in the comments on their Facebook page over this article:

https://www.facebook.com/NCRonline/posts...6852309997
Did anyone notice his misuse of antiquarianism?

Fr. Schmit wrote:
Quote:If people are into antiquarianism, let them . . . I just figured that the people attached to this "extraordinary form" were the liturgical version of societies for anachronistic re-enactment.

and then he wrote:
Quote:The council looked to the church's distant past to recover ritual elements that were instrumental in preparing the baptized to take active responsibility for Christ's priestly, prophetic and royal mission.

So if a rite that was nearly suppressed for 50 years starts growing again, its antiquarianism, but if rituals that have been dead for over 1,000 years are ressurected, its not.

Mith, does this merit an Inigo Montoya meme?

I just read the comments, in part. Oh my. Such hate; such vitriol.
(12-10-2012, 04:35 PM)Richard C Wrote: Did anyone notice his misuse of antiquarianism?

Fr. Schmit wrote:
Quote:If people are into antiquarianism, let them . . . I just figured that the people attached to this "extraordinary form" were the liturgical version of societies for anachronistic re-enactment.

and then he wrote:
Quote:The council looked to the church's distant past to recover ritual elements that were instrumental in preparing the baptized to take active responsibility for Christ's priestly, prophetic and royal mission.

So if a rite that was nearly suppressed for 50 years starts growing again, its antiquarianism, but if rituals that have been dead for over 1,000 years are ressurected, its not.

Mith, does this merit an Inigo Montoya meme?

I'll see what I can do.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
I can not read any more of those comments. A person could get the opinion that the Catholic Church has devolved into  another vile Prot church or that the entire American Rite is in full schism.

This article should have been placed on the Index.
The comments were more interesting than the original article, IMHO. It always cracks me up to see the liberals ranting about how the Vatican wants to overturn VII and force everyone to attend the TLM when at the same time, on another forum, the traditionalists are ranting about how the Vatican doesn't want to overturn VII and wants to force everyone to attend the NO.

(12-10-2012, 07:46 PM)GenevieveW Wrote: It always cracks me up to see the liberals ranting about how the Vatican wants to overturn VII and force everyone to attend the TLM when at the same time, on another forum, the traditionalists are ranting about how the Vatican doesn't want to overturn VII and wants to force everyone to attend the NO.

"The numbers don't lie."  Eye-roll