NCR on the Latin Mass
(12-11-2012, 12:38 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: The local ordinary is His Excellency, Bishop Finn.

And right now, I don't think he has enough political or social capital in this city to organize a game of Trivial Pursuit, much less worry about the trivial writings of a trivial and dying publication.

Which must make the NCR crowd very, very happy. As you probably recall, they started their hatchet job on him, trying to undermine him and sow the seeds of distrust and dissension, the day he sat foot in the Diocese. When I first met him, I told him he must be doing something right because he had the right enemies. He laughed and told me not to believe everything the NCR printed. I assured him I didn't! :LOL:

Unfortunately, later developments made the situation much worse. :'((
(12-11-2012, 12:55 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
(12-11-2012, 12:38 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(12-09-2012, 09:26 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: I would take issue with the fact that this publication still is in full communion with the Pope and that they can still officially use the word "Catholic" in their title, but I imagine their local ordinary is simply just too busy for trivial matters like this.

The local ordinary is His Excellency, Bishop Finn.

And right now, I don't think he has enough political or social capital in this city to organize a game of Trivial Pursuit, much less worry about the trivial writings of a trivial and dying publication.

It sounds like he's not very fit for office, then, is he?

Do you know anything about His Excellency?
(12-11-2012, 12:58 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(12-11-2012, 12:38 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: The local ordinary is His Excellency, Bishop Finn.
Which must make the NCR crowd very, very happy. As you probably recall, they started their hatchet job on him, trying to undermine him and sow the seeds of distrust and dissension, the day he sat foot in the Diocese. When I first met him, I told him he must be doing something right because he had the right enemies. He laughed and told me not to believe everything the NCR printed. I assured him I didn't! :LOL:
Unfortunately, later developments made the situation much worse. :'((
My understanding of the National Catholic Reporter is that they will do a hatchet job on anybody who is prominant and an orthodox Catholic.
(12-11-2012, 01:01 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(12-09-2012, 09:26 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: I would take issue with the fact that this publication still is in full communion with the Pope and that they can still officially use the word "Catholic" in their title, but I imagine their local ordinary is simply just too busy for trivial matters like this.

Passing information about him and the scandal around him.
(12-11-2012, 01:11 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
(12-11-2012, 01:01 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:

Passing information about him and the scandal around him.

Well, don't let your ignorance get in the way of you declaring him unfit for office. After all, he's just a successor to the apostles, but you're a cocksure layman.

By the way, that puts you in the same category as the NCR twice: (1) you both think that His Excellency, Bishop Finn is unfit for office, and (2) he probably doesn't care about your opinion, either.

Character assassination sure makes strange bedfellows.
(12-11-2012, 01:22 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(12-11-2012, 01:11 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: Passing information about him and the scandal around him.

Well, don't let your ignorance get in the way of you declaring him unfit for office. After all, he's just a successor to the apostles, but you're a cocksure layman.

By the way, that puts you in the same category as the NCR twice: (1) you both think that His Excellency, Bishop Finn is unfit for office, and (2) he probably doesn't care about your opinion, either.

Character assassination sure makes strange bedfellows.

I was asking a question.  If he's some great prelate, but can't reign in a notoriously liberal organization that purports to be Catholic, can he lead the diocese effectively? 

Clearly, my opinion means nothing, but it's a question worth asking, it seems. 
No one reads the Distorter except dying gentrified blue haired liberals and internet trads who need something else to be mad about. I mean, really. It's a small-time print publication whose focus is liberal Catholicism in a country that is becoming religiously ambivalent.

Even if His Excellency, Bishop Finn were twice as powerful as Pope Innocent III, why would he bother with laying the smack down on the Distorter? That problem is going to fix itself soon enough. His Excellency would be better served to spend what little influence he has left at correcting the decades of neglect that he inherited in his diocese than to worry about the old bitties buzzing around a two-bit rag.
(12-11-2012, 01:37 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: No one reads the Distorter except dying gentrified blue haired liberals and internet trads who need something else to be mad about.

Is that so? Well EXXCCUUUSSSEEE MEEE!! I thought since they are a "Catholic" publication it might prove interesting to see what they have to say. Wasn't aware I read it just to get mad.
(12-11-2012, 02:16 AM)The Dying Flutchman Wrote:
(12-11-2012, 01:37 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: No one reads the Distorter except dying gentrified blue haired liberals and internet trads who need something else to be mad about.

Is that so? Well EXXCCUUUSSSEEE MEEE!! I thought since they are a "Catholic" publication it might prove interesting to see what they have to say. Wasn't aware I read it just to get mad.

:LOL:
That's pretty much the only reason that internet trads read any Catholic publication... to find something else to complain about.
(12-11-2012, 01:37 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: Even if His Excellency, Bishop Finn were twice as powerful as Pope Innocent III, why would he bother with laying the smack down on the Distorter? That problem is going to fix itself soon enough.

And therein lies the problem. This attitude of lets just sit around with our thumbs up our nose and wait and hope things get better is what got us in this mess. If the Vatican II generation (with few exceptions) had fought for the faith and real Mass and not just sat there things would be different.

By the way. If this rag was in Pope Innocent III's diocese when he was a Bishop I am reasonably sure he would do something about it.