Drinking
At what point does drinking become a sin?
What is the line between hilarity and drunkeness?
What counts as losing one's reason?
The loss of reason is the line. So, doing or almost doing something you wouldn't normally do if you were not drinking. Losing your reason impairs your ability to distinguish between what is right and wrong.
What if I'm just a very uninteresting drunk?
(12-13-2012, 03:02 PM)EcceQuamBonum Wrote: What if I'm just a very uninteresting drunk?

In all honesty, you may be able to drink more without sinning then.  If one drinks but isn't tempted to do things they wouldn't normally do then I find it hard to claim that one is sinning.  As always, however, please speak with a priest about these matters before making any decisions.
If you've had enough to drink that you'd feel odd or uneasy attending church; you drank too much.

:cheers:
It is very subjective.

Remember, too, that one can commit the sin of gluttony by drinking too much without getting drunk.

I would pass out from drinking before my reason was impaired.  However, I'm not justified in drinking until passing out just because my reason isn't impaired.

More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
Well, let's go by the rules of moderation.

A standard drink is equal to

a 12 oz (355 ml.) beer with 5% alcohol (average for most U.S. beers).
   A 5 oz. (150 ml.) glass of wine (12.5% alcohol).
   1.5 oz. (45 ml.) of 80 proof liquor (40% alcohol).

If you drink one of these drinks, your blood alcohol level will be at a 0.08

Also, if you are a woman, no more than one drink per day. Men are allowed 2 drinks per day.

I hope this answers some questions.
(12-13-2012, 06:34 PM)Rosa Mystica Wrote: Well, let's go by the rules of moderation.

A standard drink is equal to

a 12 oz (355 ml.) beer with 5% alcohol (average for most U.S. beers).
   A 5 oz. (150 ml.) glass of wine (12.5% alcohol).
   1.5 oz. (45 ml.) of 80 proof liquor (40% alcohol).

If you drink one of these drinks, your blood alcohol level will be at a 0.08

Also, if you are a woman, no more than one drink per day. Men are allowed 2 drinks per day.

I hope this answers some questions.

Who came up with this?  These sound like the rules of a Protestant country club.
(12-13-2012, 06:34 PM)Rosa Mystica Wrote: if you are a woman, no more than one drink per day.

Says who?
(12-13-2012, 06:23 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: It is very subjective.

Remember, too, that one can commit the sin of gluttony by drinking too much without getting drunk.

I would pass out from drinking before my reason was impaired.  However, I'm not justified in drinking until passing out just because my reason isn't impaired.

Is it always  possible to know when one's reason is impaired?  Don't many drunks think they are just fine?  One can think "oh but know that I am fine until I pass out",  but what if that is not really true?  Don't drunk drivers think they can drive fine? Maybe they can even fake it too.. until it is too late.

Not being a drinker (to speak of) maybe I shouldn't say, but maybe it is best to set some kind of (low) limit as to the number of drinks (as previous posts have noted) - along with being very attentive to how we feel in the early stages.

I agree it is subjective.