Drinking
(12-13-2012, 06:39 PM)piabee Wrote:
(12-13-2012, 06:34 PM)Rosa Mystica Wrote: if you are a woman, no more than one drink per day.

Says who?

women do not, generally, metabolize alcohol as quickly as men-- largely due to smaller bodies and a higher fat percentage. In other words, ya'll get tipsy quicker if not a lush.

Sort of like saying you can eat 3 cupcakes in a day if you're a full grown man but a child shouldn't have more than one. It's not because of this or that insofar as gender or age, but the reality of the intake versus what the body does with it.
(12-13-2012, 06:34 PM)Rosa Mystica Wrote: Well, let's go by the rules of moderation.

A standard drink is equal to

a 12 oz (355 ml.) beer with 5% alcohol (average for most U.S. beers).
   A 5 oz. (150 ml.) glass of wine (12.5% alcohol).
   1.5 oz. (45 ml.) of 80 proof liquor (40% alcohol).

If you drink one of these drinks, your blood alcohol level will be at a 0.08

Also, if you are a woman, no more than one drink per day. Men are allowed 2 drinks per day.

I hope this answers some questions.

That's just how to make sure you don't get in legal trouble.

I'm a Scot/Norse male.  I can drink a lot.  Not as a note of bragging, just fact.  A single beer has about the same effect on me as a can of coke.  Walty's Irish/Injun if I recall, so he could probably put away a keg like a bottle of Aquafina on a hot day.  CC's a kraut, so I know he can handle a few belts.  Depending on ethnicity, sex, weight (and how long one's been drinking) there are so many variables that the only thing we can say for sure is that if you've lost your reason, you're drunk.  Aside from that, it's so subjective that the only advice worth giving is to be prudent.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(12-13-2012, 06:41 PM)Doce Me Wrote:
(12-13-2012, 06:23 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: It is very subjective.

Remember, too, that one can commit the sin of gluttony by drinking too much without getting drunk.

I would pass out from drinking before my reason was impaired.  However, I'm not justified in drinking until passing out just because my reason isn't impaired.

Is it always  possible to know when one's reason is impaired?  Don't many drunks think they are just fine?  One can think "oh but know that I am fine until I pass out",  but what if that is not really true?  Don't drunk drivers think they can drive fine? Maybe they can even fake it too.. until it is too late.

Not being a drinker (to speak of) maybe I shouldn't say, but maybe it is best to set some kind of (low) limit as to the number of drinks (as previous posts have noted) - along with being very attentive to how we feel in the early stages.

I agree it is subjective.

No, it's not always possible to know when one's reason is impaired.  It's usually after the fact that one realizes.  This is all the more reason to exercise prudence.  Just beacuse you're not drunk doesn't mean you haven't drunk too much, which would also be sinful, though not necessarily as grievous.

Determining drunkeness for practicing Catholics is more difficult, because at least in theory none of us drink thinking "I'm gonna get totally messed up" which is how other people drink.  So there is the question of intent as well, though one can certainly sin through negligence, which I think may be more applicable amongst practicing trads as a general rule.

Go thy ways, old Jack;
(12-13-2012, 06:43 PM)SMKMI Wrote: women do not, generally, metabolize alcohol as quickly as men-- largely due to smaller bodies and a higher fat percentage. In other words, ya'll get tipsy quicker if not a lush.

Uhh, I know how to drink.
(12-13-2012, 06:39 PM)piabee Wrote:
(12-13-2012, 06:34 PM)Rosa Mystica Wrote: if you are a woman, no more than one drink per day.

Says who?

Both my sisters can drink pretty well, but moved by ladylike manners, they, in their senior years have come to a sort of accomodation. They split their Lite Beers, no matter, they drink by halfs till their hearts content. How ever many that may be. Seriously over drinking and getting Drunk is something which stops as you become aware of how much you can drink, providing you're right thinking. It's really something which needs to be learned. Like Mith said he can drink but the flip side is gluttony. When I used to drink before I became as I am, I'd drink about 8 shots and beers, and like an express train, I'd be out the door. It wasn't so much I was about to become drunk, more it was time to go, period.

tim 
Tim, you're Italian, right?  You can probably handle that grape juice like chocolate milk, amirite?

Go thy ways, old Jack;
(12-13-2012, 06:49 PM)piabee Wrote:
(12-13-2012, 06:43 PM)SMKMI Wrote: women do not, generally, metabolize alcohol as quickly as men-- largely due to smaller bodies and a higher fat percentage. In other words, ya'll get tipsy quicker if not a lush.

Uhh, I know how to drink.

That's lovely dear. But physiology is physiology. As with anything, there are exceptions. You're apparently an exception either by nature or nurture.
(12-13-2012, 07:24 PM)SMKMI Wrote: But physiology is physiology. As with anything, there are exceptions. You're apparently an exception either by nature or nurture.

Exactly, and everyone is different. Knowing how much alcohol my body can handle (more than one drink) doesn't make me an exception. It makes me a human.
I'm pretty sure it takes more than one drink to have a BAC of .08
(12-13-2012, 07:29 PM)piabee Wrote:
(12-13-2012, 07:24 PM)SMKMI Wrote: But physiology is physiology. As with anything, there are exceptions. You're apparently an exception either by nature or nurture.

Exactly, and everyone is different. Knowing how much alcohol my body can handle (more than one drink) doesn't make me an exception. It makes me a human.

That you choose to personalize a physiological fact is unfortunate.

However, what I said stands. What you are confusing is your ability to handle the alcohol, not whether or not the physiology of it is in question.

Women and smaller men obtain a higher BAC quicker than the average male. It has to do with the lean body mass. Women, having a higher percentage of body fat, thus reduced lean mass, experience a higher BAC sooner than a male of the same weight-- as males have a lower percentage of body fat on average leading to a deduction of higher lean mass.

That you can handle 2, 3 or 8 drinks without being sloppy doesn't mean you don't have a lower BAC than someone who is.

You are correct that different people handle things differently. The law, however, only recognizes BAC. The judge could care less if you're fine with a .08 BAC, he just knows you are within the limits of his jurisdiction on a DUI/DWI charge.

I've seen men get sloppy and stupid on 2 beers while I've seen women who can maintain composure on 5. Do what you can handle, but don't get the ability to handle a higher BAC confused with not having one.