Anne Catherine Emmerich
(12-17-2012, 06:00 AM)Walty Wrote:
(12-16-2012, 10:18 PM)maldon Wrote: I love her works, and even named one of my children after her, but as to the "validity" of her visions, well, there can be no argument against the validity of her visions as visions. Visions are metaphorical, and many of hers are delivered in what she calls "pictures", and as you know pictures can be interpreted in many ways. Clearly they are not meant to be read as simple history, but I think they can be very beneficial when read as "visions". I think I have read of arguments against her works, but they seemed to be arguments against a presumed claim that the visions are factual history.

My point was that many seemed to think she was either a) lying b) delusional or c) having Satanic visions.  I have no reason to think this, but I've heard it argued.

The main objection is actually mistrusting the intermediary who edited and published the visions to the public, the Romantic German poet Clemens Brentano.

It gave the Vatican pause over her Cause under Leo XIII and St. Pius X, and was more widely condemned later.  Part of what allowed her Beatification to go through was to focus on her lived life as a religious and leave the visions to the Faithful to discern:

"In 1892 when the case for Anne Catherine's beatification was submitted to the Vatican, a number of experts in Germany began to compare and analyze Brentano's original notes from his personal library with the books he had written.  The analysis of Brentano's personal library, after his death by experts in Germany revealed various apocryphal biblical sources, maps and travel guides among his papers which could have been used to enhance the narrations by Emmerich.

"In 1923, in his theological thesis, German priest Winfried Hümpfner, who had compared Brentano's original notes to the published books, wrote that Clemens Brentano had fabricated much of the material he had attributed to Emmerich.

"By 1928 the experts had come to the conclusion that only a small portion of Brentano's books could be safely attributed to Emmerich.

"At the time of the beatification of Catherine Anne in 2004, the Vatican position on the authenticity of the books produced by Brentano was stated by Father Peter Gumpel, who was involved in the study of the issues for the Congregation for the Causes of the Saints: "It is absolutely not certain that she ever wrote this. There is a serious problem of authenticity.'  According to Gumpel, the writings attributed to Emmerich were 'absolutely discarded' by the Vatican as part of her beatification process."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Cather...y_Brentano

Messages In This Thread
Anne Catherine Emmerich - by The Dying Flutchman - 12-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Re: Anne Catherine Emmerich - by Maldon - 12-15-2012, 01:12 AM
Re: Anne Catherine Emmerich - by Deidre - 12-15-2012, 01:30 AM
Re: Anne Catherine Emmerich - by charlesh - 12-15-2012, 02:57 AM
Re: Anne Catherine Emmerich - by LaramieHirsch - 12-15-2012, 09:18 AM
Re: Anne Catherine Emmerich - by LaramieHirsch - 12-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Re: Anne Catherine Emmerich - by Scriptorium - 12-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Re: Anne Catherine Emmerich - by mikemac - 12-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Re: Anne Catherine Emmerich - by Walty - 12-16-2012, 06:36 AM
Re: Anne Catherine Emmerich - by Maldon - 12-16-2012, 10:18 PM