Crystal ... er ... Christ Cathedral slowly becoming Catholic
(12-15-2012, 04:35 PM)The Dying Flutchman Wrote: Personally I would never go to a Church that looked like that.  When I see these disgusting Churches I try to think what I would do if If I were a Priest to make it Catholic. I am stumped on this one. All I can think of is remove the tabernacle and burn it down and rebuild. This one is officially unsaveable.

I take it in stride. There's nothing anti-Catholic about it. Some people find the building awe inspiring. I'm kind of ambivalent. Creation began with light, and our Lord is the light of men, so it has a Catholic ethos to it. Plus I've worshiped as a traditionalist Catholic in a school auditorium (called by us "St. Condor's" because of the mascot), a rented out Adventist church (okay), and a converted warehouse (L-shaped). My wife back in the day did a bank lobby. So you work with what you've got. I would prefer beautiful churches, but I find what you bring to the table in terms of the Mass and personal conduct as being higher in priority. We are already in a renovation period. Just a few stragglers hanging on.

(12-15-2012, 05:22 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(12-15-2012, 12:56 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: (T)he Jehovah's Witness and Mormons, as well as other Protestants groups.

Neither JWs nor Mormons are Christian or protestant. Just sayin'.

Yes. Cut from their cloth, though.
I can see that this will be a place where handing out (and i mean handing out literally) Holy Communion will be a typical Novus Ordo fiasco considering they have an upper deck there, i can see the "minister" running upstairs to hand out communion, lets hope this bishop who is a personal friend of Cardinal Burke will bring some reverence to this building.
Always remember as long as the red lamp is burning , Our Lord is present there BODY BLOOD SOUL and DIVINITY , so whatever else you may say about it by Our Lord being there it is a PALACE and would love to visit it anyway.
I'd much rather attend mass in a cave with wall etchings.
(12-15-2012, 05:53 PM)salus Wrote: I can see that this will be a place where handing out (and i mean handing out literally) Holy Communion will be a typical Novus Ordo fiasco considering they have an upper deck there, i can see the "minister" running upstairs to hand out communion, lets hope this bishop who is a personal friend of Cardinal Burke will bring some reverence to this building.

A comment for the benefit of the "yung uns" (though salus' profile doesn't indicate his age): there were pleanty of pre VII churches with "uppper decks".  They were called choir lofts, and in most parishes in the 40's and 50's they were actually used by a choir at most for one Mass on a Sunday.  At the other Masses they were over flow areas or where the ushers stuck the the big famies with screaming babies.  People in those days still came down the steps to the communon rail if they were receiving.  St. Aloysius Gonzaga in Spokane was built in 1911 with two trancept balconies in addition to the choir loft (which in itself is non traditional but was a modern accomodtion to allow mixed lay choirs.  The presence of "upper decks" is not a post VII archetecual element, not does it preclude the proper and reverant reception of Holy Communion.
(12-15-2012, 06:17 PM)moneil Wrote:
(12-15-2012, 05:53 PM)salus Wrote: I can see that this will be a place where handing out (and i mean handing out literally) Holy Communion will be a typical Novus Ordo fiasco considering they have an upper deck there, i can see the "minister" running upstairs to hand out communion, lets hope this bishop who is a personal friend of Cardinal Burke will bring some reverence to this building.

A comment for the benefit of the "yung uns" (though salus' profile doesn't indicate his age): there were pleanty of pre VII churches with "uppper decks".  They were called choir lofts, and in most parishes in the 40's and 50's they were actually used by a choir at most for one Mass on a Sunday.  At the other Masses they were over flow areas or where the ushers stuck the the big famies with screaming babies.  People in those days still came down the steps to the communon rail if they were receiving.  St. Aloysius Gonzaga in Spokane was built in 1911 with two trancept balconies in addition to the choir loft (which in itself is non traditional but was a modern accomodtion to allow mixed lay choirs.  The presence of "upper decks" is not a post VII archetecual element, not does it preclude the proper and reverant reception of Holy Communion.

I think this balcony seating area is larger than a choir loft and intended for the laity.  The whole place looks like a concert hall, not a church -- and an ugly concert hall at that.

Personally, I think the building was awful.  Bishop Brown wanted to have some sort of legacy though, and didn't have the cash to build from scratch.  So he bought a building that looks like a construction site from the inside and an office building from the outside.  It's simply awful!
I'll bet those in the upper deck wont be coming down for communion and communion rails what are they in todays church. I find it interesting the extent the church went in having balconies for mixed choirs, they had such a reverence for proper decorum, etiquette and following the rubrics which is lost today in many many churches.
It's like lipstick on a pig.
(12-15-2012, 05:49 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: I would prefer beautiful churches, but I find what you bring to the table in terms of the Mass and personal conduct as being higher in priority.

That is very true I would rather go to the "Crystal Cathedral" if a TLM was being celebrated there then a beautiful gothic church with liturgical dance,but I tend to find that more often then not these ugly Churches are the ones with the worst liturgical practices.
What a colossal waste of money.  Those liberals who complain about the Church having all sorts of money and not using it on the poor have a point if this is where the money is going.