Crystal ... er ... Christ Cathedral slowly becoming Catholic
(12-15-2012, 06:36 PM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: I think this balcony seating area is larger than a choir loft and intended for the laity.  The whole place looks like a concert hall, not a church -- and an ugly concert hall at that.

Personally, I think the building was awful.  Bishop Brown wanted to have some sort of legacy though, and didn't have the cash to build from scratch.  So he bought a building that looks like a construction site from the inside and an office building from the outside.  It's simply awful!

Yes, I have indicated as much, though before the Hazel Wright organ was installed I believe the choir sang from the rear gallery, where the origional organ was housed; there are also two side galleries.

The point I was making, and I gave one example, another would be the colonial era cathedral in Lima, Peru, is that galleries for congregational seating, while not common, existed in pre VII churchs , and THAT PARTICULAR DESIGN ELEMENT is not necessarily a non traditional element, which I though was the insinuation of the poster whose response I replied to (I beg his forgiveness if I misread his intention).

The whole place was never built "as a church", it was built as a television studio for the Hour of Power program.

The main point I have tried to make, as I agree with everyone that the archetectual style of this building not pleasing, is that if one would be bothered to look at the campus map (which one can find on the Crystal Catedral web site, if they can be bothered to look) they acquired not just the "glass palace" but a 30 acre campus (I wonder what the value per square foot this real estate commands in that area), a school (Family Life Center) which can accomodate up to 300 students from what I've read), the former church which seats 600 and has its own pipe organ (six figure value at least just for the organ), a carallion chimes tower (at least a half million if not more), an office tower, the multi story visitor center and office building which cost $40 million to construct barely a decade ago, a couple of other buildings, AND the Hazel Wright Organ, which could be conservatively valued at $5 million or more.

THE POINT I WAS MAKING WAS THAT EVEN IF THEY TORE DOWN THE "glass palace" (which I understand has some horrorific maintenance costs)" and built a traditional cathedral edifice on that site, the diocese GOT ONE HECK OF A GOOD DEAL WITH THIS PURCHASE.

Now, I'm guessing they won't tear it down but rather will fleace the flock to spend a boat load of money to "fix it up".  Still, it could be torn down some day and replaced.  A few decades down the road when traditonal Catholics and a better hierarchy have the opportunity to tear it down they may still be thankful that Bishop Brown snaged this property when he did, as I doubt the value could be replicated in the marketplace.  THIS IS THE ONLY POINT I WAS MAKING.
[Image: ChrysCathedral-map.jpg]

[Image: campus_map_lg.jpg]

[Image: _MG_1161-L.jpg]
(12-15-2012, 07:49 PM)Walty Wrote: What a colossal waste of money.  Those liberals who complain about the Church having all sorts of money and not using it on the poor have a point if this is where the money is going.

Also didn't the Diocese of Orange have to file for bankruptcy because of altar boy diddling. If so how is this justified?
(12-15-2012, 08:07 PM)The Dying Flutchman Wrote:
(12-15-2012, 07:49 PM)Walty Wrote: What a colossal waste of money.  Those liberals who complain about the Church having all sorts of money and not using it on the poor have a point if this is where the money is going.

Also didn't the Diocese of Orange have to file for bankruptcy because of altar boy diddling. If so how is this justified?

Asking those questions is like farting in the wind.
(12-15-2012, 08:05 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: [Image: ChrysCathedral-map.jpg]

[Image: campus_map_lg.jpg]

Isn't this the plan for Starfleet Acaemy in the new Star Treks? :crazy:
(12-15-2012, 08:08 PM)Walty Wrote:

true
It was a loan of course. And the maintenance must be crazy for this place. It actually is an icon out here, of sorts. People flock to the Glory of Christmas shows. So I am sure they be able to raise the funds in the long run. The property has a lot of potential. Also, just on the practical level, they would rent out parking to the UCI Medical Center across the street. Anything is possible.
(12-15-2012, 08:09 PM)The Dying Flutchman Wrote:
(12-15-2012, 08:08 PM)Walty Wrote:

true

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_abus...ge_diocese
(12-15-2012, 12:56 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: [Image: mf24sd-b781031311z.120121214212635000gdh1bl94v.1.jpg]

So is this what they consider the sanctuary? Where's the altar? I don't know staring at a pipe organ and what looks like scaffolding in a giant greenhouse would not help lift my mind to heavenly things.

Though it would be kinda cool to be in a huge rain downpour in there.
Are they still allowing the previous occupant to hold their "worship services" there? I heard this was part of the agreement until they could find another location.