Should we pray for the soul of the murderer/suicide from CT?
If yes, why? 

If no, why not?

I would like your thoughts.
We should in the legal sense that know one knows who ends up where.

I would not say we "shouldn't."  I would say that if one didn't, one wouldn't be committing any fault.  If one didn't out of a hope that the person was damned, that would be wrong. 

If the news reports are true, and he killed 20 little kids and then himself, his chances aren't good at all.  There's the issue of mental health, which could lessen his culpability.

It wouldn't be a waste of a prayer, if that's what you're asking.  Even if he is in Hell (which seems very likely, if we accept the "facts" of the case) God will direct those prayers to someone who needs it.

If one has a limited amount of prayers, then they're better of spent on the departed and their families.  That is my opinion.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
First, we don't know what exactly happened. We may never know. There is video and talk of multiple shooters, as there was in the Aurora shooting. Being said, we are called to pray for all sinners, from Sandusky to Clinton. Christ died loving every single one of us. And if this shooter or Sandusky, or Hillary were the only ones left, He would do it again.

I have difficulty with praying for people like this at times. Instead I turn my attention to another way of thinking. Every sin, is another lash, blow, or thorn causing Our poor Lord suffering, His mother as well. Shouldn't we pray for the conversion of sinners in hopes of relieving His suffering and causing Him great happiness? We know that Heaven rejoices when sinners convert and confess. I find this a helpful way of thinking to get my mind over an individual's actions. 
Our religion is replete with teachings to love and pray for our enemies. And there is no reason to exempt the dead.

Mt 5:44 Wrote:But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you.

Rm 12:14 Wrote:Bless those who persecute [you], bless and do not curse them.

I Pt 3:9 Wrote:Do not return evil for evil, or insult for insult; but, on the contrary, a blessing, because to this you were called, that you might inherit a blessing.
Over time I've come to realize when I see or hear something involving a death, the little prayer routine I have for these moments must cover both. Today it's nearly impossible to get the truth from the media, and who needs prayer more than the perp.

tim
Apparently according to the media everyone is in heaven, that is why we must pray for the salvation of all souls, if a Catholic Bishop ever came out in this climate and said we must pray for their souls and their possible release from purgatory he would be crucified by the media, that is why he should to bring to the attention of the world the need for praying for the dead and the souls in purgatory. Don't count on any doing it though.
Yes, without question. And also for his family; his deceased mother and his family - that will always be associated with this horrible slaying.

We may never know the reasons or what demons this young man was tormented by and regardless of the monstrous actions of slaughtering so many, he is still a child of God and our brother.

He will not stand trial, for his life has passed, but the Supreme Judge of all can not be escaped.
(12-17-2012, 11:19 PM)Tim Wrote: Over time I've come to realize when I see or hear something involving a death, the little prayer routine I have for these moments must cover both. Today it's nearly impossible to get the truth from the media, and who needs prayer more than the perp.

tim

And pray for his parents, whose lives may be utterly destroyed by this, will absolutely be changed forever, and pray for any siblings he had.   They will be asking themselves why they didn't see it coming, what they did wrong, in addition to having lost a child.

It is pure hell, being a suicide survivor, meaning a survivor of someone who took his own life, not someone who attempted suicide but survived, though of course a failed suicide has serious problems.  There are groups for suicide survivors but there is no 12 step program to get your family member back; I have no idea what they do when they meet.

To be a suicide survivor and survivor of a murderer is worse yet, and when your loved one was a mass murderer who took his own life, too. . . We cannot begin to comprehend it.  They truly need our prayers.

Yes.  I figure I'll need as much mercy as I can get when I die, so I'd better ask for it for those who most need it now if I ever want it for myself.  God will decide how to balance justice and mercy, so I'll just do what I can do and not worry about that part of it.
I agree with everyone here.  All excellent reasons to pray for all the dead here, which is, I think, a spiritual work of mercy...?

Anyway we can't know for sure where the shooter is right now (or his victims, contrary to what you read).  This is always I think the hardest truth about Christianity - that who we think deserves heaven or hell counts for nada.  His ways are not our ways.  The shooter could be in heaven (purgatory) while one or more of his victims could be in hell.  We just don't know, other than that each has been judged perfectly, and justice has been served - whatever that looks like in this case.