Diocese of Monterey, CA to Apologize to Mutsun Tribe at Mission S. Juan Bautista
These kinds of things can be a bit of a double-edged sword.  On the one hand, doing penance and making restitution and reparation on behalf of others' sins is a very Catholic thing to do.  On the other hand, one needs to avoid insuinating a kind of corporate guilt, where one person is considered guilty of the sins of another, merely by being a member of the same race or religion.
(12-18-2012, 12:13 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: This is also one of those traditionally-minded, "better than the old bishops" bishop appointed by Benedict XVI. 

:LOL:

Traditionally minded??  You obviously never met Bishop Garcia.  I have on several occasions and can tell you he is not as you described.  He has no problems with such things as altar girls, altars made of tine cans, and  liturgical dance at mass.  If you doubt, i'll share pics.  In this diocese have only one place to celebrate the TLM and its at a  cemetery.

(12-18-2012, 06:50 AM)PatrickG Wrote: Why ought the Most Holy Church apologise to a pack of unrepentant pagans for giving them the sole means by which their wretched souls (and my soul is no less wretched, no less a sinner) might spare themselves for agonies past all our understanding forever?

The merry Spirit of Vatican II and the happy gift of Conciliarism strikes again!

Because accorsing to Vatican II the Church is not needed. Everyone goes to heaven as long as you are nice, vote liberal and don't question anything regarding the holocaust.
(12-18-2012, 12:13 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: This is also one of those traditionally-minded, "better than the old bishops" bishop appointed by Benedict XVI. 

Look on the Bright side CC. He hasn't been caught covering for his homo clergy's molesting of altar boys. Yet. That was more a rule than an exception for JPII appointees.
(12-18-2012, 05:35 PM)The Dying Flutchman Wrote: Because accorsing to Vatican II the Church is not needed. Everyone goes to heaven as long as you are nice, vote liberal and don't question anything regarding the holocaust.

(12-18-2012, 05:37 PM)The Dying Flutchman Wrote: Look on the Bright side CC. He hasn't been caught covering for his homo clergy's molesting of altar boys. Yet. That was more a rule than an exception for JPII appointees.

Wow. You're just specializing in rash hyperbole today, aren't ya?
(12-18-2012, 03:20 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: If anyone would like to read about the Missions or Fr. Serra, I recommend Fr. Maynard Geoger, O.F.M.

Thank you for this.  I've been looking for a good source to clear up the confusion between the overzealous (likely for riches) conquistadors and the full-of-heavenly-zeal Franciscans who, at times, even had to protect their charges by moving some of their mission sites away from the soldiers, as I understand it.  There were no forced conversions (how could there truly be?), but the Indians, once converted, were expected to stay in community to protect them from backsliding. 
(12-18-2012, 05:34 PM)califman831 Wrote:

Traditionally minded??  You obviously never met Bishop Garcia.  I have on several occasions and can tell you he is not as you described.  He has no problems with such things as altar girls, altars made of tine cans, and  liturgical dance at mass.  If you doubt, i'll share pics.  In this diocese have only one place to celebrate the TLM and its at a  cemetery.

That was sarcasm, bro.