Christmas dinners
What does everyone eat for the Christmas feast? We always have turkey and ham. I am sick of it? This year I would like to make something else. Preferably something traditionally German anybody have any ideas recipes?(doesn't have to be German of course)
Why not have potato salad and sushi?

Never understood the concept of a feast that didn't have any food you like.  Not a fan of turkey here.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
Chateaubriande roast if I can get it from the meat market at a reasonable price.  Easy to cook, delicious.

I will give the children topside as they are Philistines anyway.  Why waste fillet steak on them just so they can cover it in gravy.

Hate Turkey myself.
We usually have turkey but my dad doesn't like it, so sometimes my mom will make a rib or lamb roast. And a pasta in addition to potatoes because she's Italian and can't help it.
I'm Scandinavian and Swedish Meatballs were our usual Christmas meal.  Sigh, now I'm hungry.
My dad had a tradition of making prime rib every year. It was the best.
I'm going to make a boneless rib roast. Back in the day n middle age I'd make 10 lbs of egg pasta for Ravioli when the entire family would be there. I also could get my hands on a Sirloin Butt which is the biggest best Sirloin Roast. They range from 9 to 13 lbs, and are perfect sized my ravenous extended family.

I used to make a mixture of gorgonzola and Philadelphia cream cheese and pipe it into celery sticks, or just smear it on a good cracker. I love the Sicilian Big Green Olives made into schiacicatte (sp?) or the black wrinkled ones from Genova. I'd roll up Volpi Salame and Prosciutto  for the top of the crackers and cheese. I believe I liked the finger food more than the meal.

tim 
Christmas Eve is a big, big celebration for us and we do it Polish style. Which means meatless. So I will make mushroom soup. We will also have perogies made by the local Polish Catholic church, hot crab dip, chips and dip for the littles, and an assortment of cookies and pies. For Christmas dinner I am making individual beef wellingtons. Which are actually very easy to make, plus you make them ahead. roasted green beans, and mashed potatoes. Pretty simple for dinner. We always have a birthday cake and sing Happy Birthday to baby Jesus as well as make Him a place at the table.

I can't wait for Christmas. It is my favorite Holy Day. Everything seems so beautiful and loving. I think about those percious days when you first hold your newborn and marvel at the miracle of life. I think about the BVM holding her baby, and how He must have been the most beautiful baby in the history of the world.
My wife usually makes a wonderful Lasagna . But this year we will probably have a spiral ham.
(12-18-2012, 11:05 PM)verenaerin Wrote: Christmas Eve is a big, big celebration for us and we do it Polish style. Which means meatless. So I will make mushroom soup. We will also have perogies made by the local Polish Catholic church, hot crab dip, chips and dip for the littles, and an assortment of cookies and pies. For Christmas dinner I am making individual beef wellingtons. Which are actually very easy to make, plus you make them ahead. roasted green beans, and mashed potatoes. Pretty simple for dinner. We always have a birthday cake and sing Happy Birthday to baby Jesus as well as make Him a place at the table.

I can't wait for Christmas. It is my favorite Holy Day. Everything seems so beautiful and loving. I think about those percious days when you first hold your newborn and marvel at the miracle of life. I think about the BVM holding her baby, and how He must have been the most beautiful baby in the history of the world.

Sigh. I always love your posts, verenaerin.  :)
Anyway, my aunt is making Alaskan King Crab legs for herself, my uncle, and my grandma, and a prime rib to go with it so that I can eat something too. I was going to see if I could join my Catholic friend and her husband for dinner to spare my aunt the trouble (it's just the two of them, no children, so they usually go out) but they moved this week.

I really don't understand a non-religious observance of Christmas. My family isn't Christian in their beliefs, and my aunt always says how she never makes anything "too special" for Christmas, choosing instead to go all out for Thanksgiving, and yet they have king crab legs.  :shrug: