Christmas dinners
(12-18-2012, 08:22 PM)The Dying Flutchman Wrote: What does everyone eat for the Christmas feast? We always have turkey and ham. I am sick of it? This year I would like to make something else. Preferably something traditionally German anybody have any ideas recipes?(doesn't have to be German of course)

Well, for more years than I can count, my Italian family has had lasagna for dinner.  However, Fonterault and I  are having a pork roast of some sort this year as having four kids can really cut into your meal prep time...  :grin:
My (Lutheran) family has Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve, and blood-sausages, pork roast and sauerkraut are traditional for them.
Iolanthe is home and making tirimisu.

:) :) :) :) :)

I always say it's not Christmas without grits.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

:) :) :)
(12-25-2012, 01:20 AM)piabee Wrote: Iolanthe is home and making tirimisu.

What is that?
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(12-25-2012, 01:20 AM)piabee Wrote: Iolanthe is home and making tirimisu.

Can I come?  :)  :)  :)

Mitt, it's an Italian desert. Cake and cocoa, custard and booze. I believe the Italians invented custards which travelled to France and England, and returned as triffle, which Italians re-interpreted as Zuppa Inglese.

tim
Veal was excellent. Will definitely buy that again.

Almost like a different meat to beef.
Tamales are the tradition here.
(12-23-2012, 07:37 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Frozen pizza.  My tastes are simple.

Hmmm ... this is exactly what I had. My tastes aren't all that simple, and very different from those of the good doctor (I wouldn't touch Velveeta with rubber gloves on, and Snickers rules!), but I live alone, and I'm lazy. A small frozen pizza was my lunch, and I'm having frozen fish for dinner.

I was unaware of the Christmas Eve abstinence tradition, but I inadvertantly observed that anyway. I went to a movie yesterday and had a big bag of popcorn, and I wasn't hungry enough to eat a meal at all when I got home, although I did have some ice cream later in the evening. I know, not a very nutritious day. I did have a bowl of cereal with milk in the morning -- my only "normal" meal of the day, and probably the healthiest.