January 1 is holy day of obligation
The Archdiocese of San Fransisco, which had regularly had dispensed Catholics from the obligation of attending mass on January 1 when it occurred on any day besides Sunday, has announced that the day is once more a holy day of obligation in the archdiocese.
:) :) :)

http://www.catholic-sf.org/ns.php?newsid=22&id=60874
Good news, but not enough, unfortunately. Restoring the bare minimums of Catholicism does not undo all of what was done to doctrine, discipline, and liturgy in the 1960s.

For a stark contrast, merely look at the pre-conciliar Cathedral (on Van Ness St., which burned down in 1962):

[Image: 6a00d83451c62a69e2017c31b91d77970b-800wi]

Compare this to what was built in the wake of the Council:

[Image: 18816-san-francisco-523-st-marys-church.jpg]

Look at the absolutely pathetic Catholicity of the grammar and high schools of the Archdiocese, under which I was formed, and compare them to what students learned in 1955, for example.

It's black and white.
You are absolutly right to be upset. However, I think that what is taught in those schools is more important than the archetecture of the building.
:) :) :)
Restoration takes more time than destruction.
Feast of the Circumcision obligatory in city that will vote to ban routine circumcision. Ironic?
(12-21-2012, 06:01 AM)Poche Wrote: You are absolutly right to be upset. However, I think that what is taught in those schools is more important than the archetecture of the building.

I know what is taught in the schools. I attended them for 13 years.
(12-21-2012, 03:47 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote:
(12-21-2012, 06:01 AM)Poche Wrote: You are absolutly right to be upset. However, I think that what is taught in those schools is more important than the archetecture of the building.

Yep, and my sis is considering plunking down beau coup change to send my nephew to St. Ignatius Coll. Prep.  I was going to get her a copy of Malachi Martin's The Jesuits for Christmas, but that probably won't dissuade her.
(12-21-2012, 06:36 PM)Ambrosiano Wrote:

Yep, and my sis is considering plunking down beau coup change to send my nephew to St. Ignatius Coll. Prep.  I was going to get her a copy of Malachi Martin's The Jesuits for Christmas, but that probably won't dissuade her.

SI!!??

Oh snap.

I'm a rabbit, I'm a rabbit, I'm a rabbit til I die. But I'd rather be a rabbit than a cherry from SI!
(12-21-2012, 06:38 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote:
(12-21-2012, 06:36 PM)Ambrosiano Wrote:

SI!!??

Oh snap.

I'm a rabbit, I'm a rabbit, I'm a rabbit til I die. But I'd rather be a rabbit than a cherry from SI!

Oh, so YOU'RE the one who hanged the cat from our goalpost that year! :hmmm: