Christmas Creches
(12-23-2012, 02:46 PM)Allan Wrote: Liza, I liked your links.  Also your sig line motto is my motto too. 

Thank you Allan, God bless and happy Christmas :)
We have a small to medium indoor creche but I'd like to face it out our front window if my mother let's me. I like to keep it out until Febuary 2th but sometimes certain someones put it away before. I think it was out until Lent last year.
(12-23-2012, 06:16 PM)DustinsDad Wrote: Ours is modest and indoor nativity scene -re-grassed it this year. Only the ox and ass are there now. Mary and Joseph will show up tomorrow sometime. Jesus, the shepherds, sheep, and angel will show up after Midnight Mass. The magi will arrive on Jan 6th.

This is similar to how we do it.  The stable and animals get set up at the beginning of Advent (although we were late this year) and Mary and Joseph are place on display somewhere else in the room.  They move closer and closer to "Bethlehem" throughout December, arrive on the 24th and then Baby Jesus gets put in the manger on Christmas.  My children really liked this when they were small and now my grandchildren are getting into it.  I was very pleased to hear my 4 year old grandson saying "I can't wait for Christmas when Baby Jesus comes!"  instead of carrying on about Santa Claus or presents.

I decided to start a new family tradition this year for doing with the grandchildren.  I bought the Playmobil Nativity set for playing with at Granny's house during Advent and Christmas.  After Christmas Eve dinner, we used the Playmobil figures to act out the story as Grandpa read it aloud from a children's Bible.  And then it was time to open presents.
[Image: playmobil-4884-nativity-scene-9000040-0-...305000.jpg]
(12-25-2012, 08:05 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(12-23-2012, 06:16 PM)DustinsDad Wrote: Ours is modest and indoor nativity scene -re-grassed it this year. Only the ox and ass are there now. Mary and Joseph will show up tomorrow sometime. Jesus, the shepherds, sheep, and angel will show up after Midnight Mass. The magi will arrive on Jan 6th.

This is similar to how we do it.  The stable and animals get set up at the beginning of Advent (although we were late this year) and Mary and Joseph are place on display somewhere else in the room.  They move closer and closer to "Bethlehem" throughout December, arrive on the 24th and then Baby Jesus gets put in the manger on Christmas.  My children really liked this when they were small and now my grandchildren are getting into it.  I was very pleased to hear my 4 year old grandson saying "I can't wait for Christmas when Baby Jesus comes!"  instead of carrying on about Santa Claus or presents.

I decided to start a new family tradition this year for doing with the grandchildren.  I bought the Playmobil Nativity set for playing with at Granny's house during Advent and Christmas.  After Christmas Eve dinner, we used the Playmobil figures to act out the story as Grandpa read it aloud from a children's Bible.  And then it was time to open presents.
[Image: playmobil-4884-nativity-scene-9000040-0-...305000.jpg]

That is awesome Jane!
(12-23-2012, 07:11 PM)verenaerin Wrote: Also, at Mass we take a piece of straw from the Churches manger and bring it home to ours.

That sounds like a beautiful tradition!
[Image: aj.jpg] St. Arnold Janssen SVD, pray for us!
(12-26-2012, 10:02 AM)Decora lux Wrote:
(12-23-2012, 07:11 PM)verenaerin Wrote: Also, at Mass we take a piece of straw from the Churches manger and bring it home to ours.

St. Teilhard's Seminary - Final Exam:

Q. 23: A little girl reaches into the Parish's crèche to take a piece of straw.  When you, the Pastor, ask her what she's doing, she explains that it is her family tradition to take a piece of straw home and add it to her family's nativity scene.  You reply:

A) Get your own straw, you rotten little thief!
B) Now little girl, do you know what would happen if we just let everyone take a piece of straw?  You better get a note from the Chair of the Parish finance council; she runs things around here.
C) I really think it's best if religious things are kept inside the church, don't you?  Your so-called family crèche might offend others from different faith communities who, as we know, are all God's children and are following the path She has chosen for them.  Don't you think you're being a bit selfish, hmmmm?
D) Trick question - crèches are not authorized by any of the documents in Vatican 2.
(12-26-2012, 04:02 PM)Allan Wrote:
(12-26-2012, 10:02 AM)Decora lux Wrote:

St. Teilhard's Seminary - Final Exam:

Q. 23: A little girl reaches into the Parish's crèche to take a piece of straw.  When you, the Pastor, ask her what she's doing, she explains that it is her family tradition to take a piece of straw home and add it to her family's nativity scene.  You reply:

A) Get your own straw, you rotten little thief!
B) Now little girl, do you know what would happen if we just let everyone take a piece of straw?  You better get a note from the Chair of the Parish finance council; she runs things around here.
C) I really think it's best if religious things are kept inside the church, don't you?  Your so-called family crèche might offend others from different faith communities who, as we know, are all God's children and are following the path She has chosen for them.  Don't you think you're being a bit selfish, hmmmm?
D) Trick question - crèches are not authorized by any of the documents in Vatican 2.

:LOL:

We did this as kids. So I am not sure where it came from. I know we are not the only ones who do it.
Why do you all take it down on Epiphany? The three wise men should be placed into the scene on Epiphany, not before. Then it stays until Candlemas.
That is how I was taught by my grandfather and that is how it makes sense.
Here's a photo of my Christmas Creche. The table on which it is placed is normally in use as a house-altar, with a statue of the Sacred Heart, a statue of Our Lady and my "Missale Romanum"(1956) and "Diurnale Romanum"(1961). During the Christmas season I use it as a place to set up my Christmas Creche and tree.
[Image: HPIM2283%255B1%255D.JPG]
Please share your pictures!
[Image: aj.jpg] St. Arnold Janssen SVD, pray for us!