The Creche at the Vatican
(12-28-2012, 02:17 PM)Tim Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 12:58 PM)three_emcees_and_onedeacon Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 12:08 PM)Tim Wrote: Where's the bagpipes ? And, they are an ancient traditional instrument in all of Europe even the Greeks.

tim

Shepherd on the right. Forgive my ignorance, I thought bagpipes were strictly Gaelic. Can't imagine the Greeks playing them, let alone shepherds from Bethlehem

thanks, i missed it by a wide mark

tim

No problem, bud. I just can't for the life of me imagine a chorus of angels chanting "Gloria" and ushering in the coming of mankind's savior being accompanied by bagpipes
(12-28-2012, 02:43 PM)three_emcees_and_onedeacon Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 02:17 PM)Tim Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 12:58 PM)three_emcees_and_onedeacon Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 12:08 PM)Tim Wrote: Where's the bagpipes ? And, they are an ancient traditional instrument in all of Europe even the Greeks.

tim

Shepherd on the right. Forgive my ignorance, I thought bagpipes were strictly Gaelic. Can't imagine the Greeks playing them, let alone shepherds from Bethlehem

thanks, i missed it by a wide mark

tim

No problem, bud. I just can't for the life of me imagine a chorus of angels chanting "Gloria" and ushering in the coming of mankind's savior being accompanied by bagpipes

Ne'er a more heavenly instrument than Pipes. Battle, mourning and joy, they speak to our bones.

Canticle of the Sun (written by St. Francis of Assisi) on pipes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canticle_of_the_Sun
(12-28-2012, 02:04 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 12:57 PM)Heinrich Wrote: Didn't Pope Benedict VXI say that there were no anigamals?

No, he never said that at all.

I read this a couple weeks ago":
"According to the pope's research, there is also no evidence in the Gospels that the cattle and other animals traditionally pictured gathered around the manger were actually present."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/22/world/euro...index.html
(12-28-2012, 05:06 PM)Heinrich Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 02:04 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 12:57 PM)Heinrich Wrote: Didn't Pope Benedict VXI say that there were no anigamals?

No, he never said that at all.

I read this a couple weeks ago":
"According to the pope's research, there is also no evidence in the Gospels that the cattle and other animals traditionally pictured gathered around the manger were actually present."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/22/world/euro...index.html

Have you read what HE said though? This is only what CNN says was written. It's an inference beyond what Pope Benedict XVI said.

The Pope is right, there is no evidence in the Gospels of noted presence of animals in any specific manner. However, tradition ( and common sense) would indicate their presence. After all, a manger is a feeding trough holding the bread of life-- neat!

That the Gospels don't note it is true. Only Matthew and Luke's Gospel shine light on the entire nativity; Luke's most of all, the first portion being likely dictated by Mary to Luke. Mark and John start beyond the Nativity.

I see. It is upsetting to think that the press, especially a mainstream organization such as CNN, would distort the truth.
(12-28-2012, 05:36 PM)Heinrich Wrote: I see. It is upsetting to think that the press, especially a mainstream organization such as CNN, would distort the truth.

Unconscionable, I know.

It's almost like they have an agenda.  LOL
(12-28-2012, 05:45 PM)SMKMI Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 05:36 PM)Heinrich Wrote: I see. It is upsetting to think that the press, especially a mainstream organization such as CNN, would distort the truth.

Unconscionable, I know.

Careful, you don't want to upset the conspiracy deniers in here.  Sneaky
(12-28-2012, 07:38 PM)TS Aquinas Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 05:45 PM)SMKMI Wrote:

Unconscionable, I know.

Careful, you don't want to upset the conspiracy deniers in here.  Sneaky

i am one of those conspiracy deniers. However, there is a difference between a proper conspiracy and what others call a conspiracy in some hushed, "they hear us!" tones. Conspiring to shift the direction of public opinion via the news is, by definition, a conspiracy-- I agree. But it's not a conspiracy like so many posit.
(12-28-2012, 11:46 AM)three_emcees_and_onedeacon Wrote: Which begs the question, why are there bagpipes?

Considering all the hot air that comes from the Vatican they seem quite appropriate!
Back to the bagpipes...they are a traditional Italian instrument..famous carol called "Carol of the Pipers" or something like that.  These nativity tend to show local folks; they are not historically authentic looking. BTW Polish folk music uses bagpipes, too.
Christina