The Creche at the Vatican
(12-30-2012, 06:46 AM)Scotus Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 02:43 PM)three_emcees_and_onedeacon Wrote: No problem, bud. I just can't for the life of me imagine a chorus of angels chanting "Gloria" and ushering in the coming of mankind's savior being accompanied by bagpipes

Hmmph, sounds anti-Scottish to me.

I can't help the Irish in me, lad
(12-30-2012, 07:33 PM)three_emcees_and_onedeacon Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 02:43 PM)three_emcees_and_onedeacon Wrote: No problem, bud. I just can't for the life of me imagine a chorus of angels chanting "Gloria" and ushering in the coming of mankind's savior being accompanied by bagpipes

I can't help the Irish in me, lad

Irish pipes are more melodious. Scottish pipes are hugely droning; it's why Mel Gibson resorted to Irish pipes in Braveheart... he wanted a semblance of music.  LOL

I learned this from the special features/director commentary.
(12-30-2012, 08:29 PM)SMKMI Wrote: Irish pipes are more melodious. Scottish pipes are hugely droning; it's why Mel Gibson resorted to Irish pipes in Braveheart... he wanted a semblance of music.  LOL

Barbarians! There is a great difference between the military pipes which are the ones everyone knows and the Scottish small pipes:

For a full explanation see:

quote: "Published on Dec 24, 2012
The Nativity set at St. Peter's Square is a bit different this year. Whereas in past years it was characterized by nearly a dozen large-sized sculptures, this time around there are over 100 smaller figurines depicting the Nativity scene. All the characters are depicted within a small town resembling Matera, in Southern Italy."
(12-30-2012, 05:36 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(12-30-2012, 03:58 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 05:06 PM)Heinrich Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 02:04 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 12:57 PM)Heinrich Wrote: Didn't Pope Benedict VXI say that there were no anigamals?

No, he never said that at all.

I read this a couple weeks ago":
"According to the pope's research, there is also no evidence in the Gospels that the cattle and other animals traditionally pictured gathered around the manger were actually present."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/22/world/euro...index.html

Last I checked, the Catholic Church is not a Church of Sola Scriptura.

Not only that, but the OLD Testament supports it.

Not to mention common sense.  Some people seem to be saying something akin to, "Well, the New Testament says Jesus was born in a school, but there's no reason to believe that there were students or teachers present.  That's just an artist's opinion."

Hey just because the English outlawed the bagpipes 260 years ago it doesn't mean there aren't angels playing the bagpipes in the heavenly court.  With Queen Victoria's phony romancing of the Highlands they had to import pipers back from Nova Scotia cause there weren't any left in the British Isles.

Here's a wee piper playing Ave Maria.

The Arab Catholic scout pipe and drum band video that I posted on the previous page is part of an annual traditional Christmas celebration for them.  With more Israeli settlements going up hopefully the tradition will be able to be continued next year.

"Dozens of scout troupes of boys and girls from across the West Bank drumming and playing the bagpipes marched into Manger Square, where an enormous Christmas tree decorated with hundreds of red baubles stood behind a Nativity scene."
http://www.yourmiddleeast.com/news/thous...tmas_11863
(01-01-2013, 12:54 AM)mikemac Wrote: Hey just because the English outlawed the bagpipes 260 years ago it doesn't mean there aren't angels playing the bagpipes in the heavenly court.  With Queen Victoria's phony romancing of the Highlands they had to import pipers back from Nova Scotia cause there weren't any left in the British Isles.

I'm afraid to say that the Canadian pipe bands regularly trounce the Scottish bands at competitions.  Blush
(01-01-2013, 07:45 AM)Scotus Wrote:
(01-01-2013, 12:54 AM)mikemac Wrote: Hey just because the English outlawed the bagpipes 260 years ago it doesn't mean there aren't angels playing the bagpipes in the heavenly court.  With Queen Victoria's phony romancing of the Highlands they had to import pipers back from Nova Scotia cause there weren't any left in the British Isles.

I'm afraid to say that the Canadian pipe bands regularly trounce the Scottish bands at competitions.   Blush

Yeah no doubt Scotus.  The Canadian Highland Fling dancers too I believe.  I use to bus the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment pipe band to some of their competitions and tattoos.  There's lots of competition around here.  One time coming home from a competition they asked me if I had a request, so I said the Glengarry March and they started right into it.
(01-01-2013, 07:45 AM)Scotus Wrote:

I'm afraid to say that the Canadian pipe bands regularly trounce the Scottish bands at competitions.   Blush
I know how you feel Scotus. Every year at the Highland Games here in Maine, the adult American bands get their backsides kicked by seventh and eighth grade bands from Nova Scotia. They pipe
better and march straighter. Blush