Daily vitamins?
(12-31-2012, 11:02 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(12-31-2012, 05:42 PM)Pheo Wrote: Doc Bombay is right.  For some reason some of those multi-vitamin tabs just don't digest - but gummies aren't the only other option haha.

I take a NOW Adam softgel (a multivitamin).  I take their Vitamin D softgels and Vitamin C capsules too.  Other than that I usually have some Green Vibrance every day as well.

One of the reviews for Green Vibrance says it has dangerously high levels of iron.  A couple of other reviews claim it tastes terrible.  What say you? Do you take it raw or mix it with something?

I'm not too sure about the iron claim.  Even if it does, it's non-heme iron and we just don't absorb it as well (which is why vegetarians often have issues with anemia).

As for the taste - it's no Milky Way bar, but I actually don't mind it at all.  I like green tea/matcha though, and it really just reminds me of a slightly stronger version of that.  Definitely a bit grassy, but I don't mind it just in water even.
(12-31-2012, 02:11 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(12-30-2012, 11:44 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(12-30-2012, 11:33 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote:
(12-30-2012, 08:30 PM)Heinrich Wrote: Victor Conte is the real deal. He knows his stuff. Good find. What does he say about the various supps on the market and using multivitamins?

I know that he sells his own supps, specifically one with Zinc. He focuses on nutrition for some. He did an interview with ex-Catholic Joe Rogan. It's on Youtube.

Joe Rogan, the guy from News Radio?  How does spending a few years on a second tier sitcom qualify one to talk about nutrition?

All sitcomes are second- (or third- or fourth-) tier entertainment. But as far as sitcoms go, I thought News Radio was one of the better ones (before Phil Hartman died, RIP).

I thought John whats his name, the Jewish guy, was a fine replacement.  Different style, but still funny.  Now that I think back on it, none of those characters were very likable.  I don't know how I watched it for as long as I did.  I must have been desperate for entertainment.  Although most of the 90s is a fog to me anyway, so....  ???
I don't take any daily vitamins.
(01-01-2013, 01:57 AM)Poche Wrote: I don't take any daily vitamins.

Grits provide all the vitamins you need.
(01-01-2013, 02:00 AM)DrBombay Wrote:
(01-01-2013, 01:57 AM)Poche Wrote: I don't take any daily vitamins.

Grits provide all the vitamins you need.
would to god that that were true.
:)
(12-31-2012, 01:55 PM)Guardian Wrote: Also protein.  I work out quite a bit and lots of guys I know swear up and down about different protein shakes.  I eat plenty of chicken, as well as some pork, and beef (mostly chicken though) during the week. Is adding in a protein supplement going to do much for me?

Protein is poorly understood by most.

Protein shakes are a money making scam. Adding a protein supplement is going to drain your wallet and fill your toilet with whatever your body cannot convert to a usable form. Protein can be used for energy as well.

Micromanaging macronutrients does not help, but it takes a lot of time and leads to nutritional hoodoo.

If you are not gaining weight or intending too, then you surely have no use for protein supplements. If you are intending to gain weight, then you may have a use, but only if you are essentially fasting otherwise.

All the people in the iron game do the supplement game, because that is what is being sold, but being exceptionally strong and healthy is not related to buying things in bottles (or any other container).
(01-01-2013, 04:45 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(12-31-2012, 01:55 PM)Guardian Wrote: Also protein.  I work out quite a bit and lots of guys I know swear up and down about different protein shakes.  I eat plenty of chicken, as well as some pork, and beef (mostly chicken though) during the week. Is adding in a protein supplement going to do much for me?

Protein is poorly understood by most.

Protein shakes are a money making scam. Adding a protein supplement is going to drain your wallet and fill your toilet with whatever your body cannot convert to a usable form. Protein can be used for energy as well.

Micromanaging macronutrients does not help, but it takes a lot of time and leads to nutritional hoodoo.

If you are not gaining weight or intending too, then you surely have no use for protein supplements. If you are intending to gain weight, then you may have a use, but only if you are essentially fasting otherwise.

All the people in the iron game do the supplement game, because that is what is being sold, but being exceptionally strong and healthy is not related to buying things in bottles (or any other container).

With my thirty years' experience in bodybuilding, power lifting, martial arts and other general fitness areas, I have to say I disagree with you based on this experience.

Here is a snip from an article written by Dr. Joseph Mercola, and medical and holistic practitioner:
5. Whey Protein Concentrate

Whey protein, a by-product of cheese production, was promoted for its health benefits as early as 420 B.C. As you age, your body gradually loses its ability to produce critical amino acids – the essential proteins you need for energy production, immune actions and protein buildup in your muscle. Therefore, the need to supplement with these amino acids increases with age, and increases even more in times of high physical stress, like after a workout, or when recovering from injury or illness.

Whey protein concentrate (not to be confused with the far inferior whey protein isolate) is an ideal choice as it's a rich source of highly bioavailable amino acids that many are unaware of. Whey protein has been linked to a variety of health benefits, including:

Read the rest at http://lewrockwell.com/mercola/mercola256.html

Alive Men's Energy http://www.naturesway.com/Products/Vitam...nergy.aspx

edit: also use 2 fish oils a day
(01-01-2013, 07:19 PM)Heinrich Wrote: With my thirty years' experience in bodybuilding, power lifting, martial arts and other general fitness areas, I have to say I disagree with you based on this experience.

I do not have thirty years, but I have the years of others to cite and my own experiences.

I will not fault others for using it (it won't hurt most of the time), but I do think the modern fitness arena is too controlled by those who have financial interest in selling things for profit, rather than getting results.

I do know that George Hackenschmidt, Arthur Saxon, and other greats in the physical arena did not use such things without detriment.

This would be interesting to discuss. I do not think I have discussed physical culture at all on this forum.
(12-30-2012, 04:41 PM)DrBombay Wrote: I had a doctor (who is also a priest) tell me once that most multivitamins do not break down once swallowed, they pass right through your system.  Because of this I take a chewable gummi vitamin.  Yes, it feels a bit childish, but at least it gets broken down. With vengeance.  :)

Probably more fun, too :)