Daily vitamins?
But, back to vitamins.

I have started to take a multivitamin because I think my work schedule (third shift) and general avoidance of the sun  and the stress of resuming exercise may cause any weakness in my diet to become a problem. My diet is sufficient, however, I cannot know the mineral content of the vegetables I eat (that can vary a lot) and if there are deficiencies, I do not want to be adversely affected by it.

I am using this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GAOGLM/

They have ones with iron and smaller tablet versions too.

Remember, if one is supplementing, one should consider the supplement to be food as well. So pay attention to what is inside it.
Are you competing in Olympic style and/or power lifting competitions now, Rosarium?

And what is a German diet?
(01-12-2013, 10:05 PM)Heinrich Wrote: Are you competing in Olympic style and/or power lifting competitions now, Rosarium?
I do not compete or partake in any sport.

I do however work to make the best use of my body and maintain what has been given to me.

I figured that failing to exercise was as much as a choice as exercising (in this case, practicing strength) given my current situation.

I do not think I would be particularly competitive in those sports (I have long limbs and long torso and a light frame), however, I think I could do well deadlifting, although, I do not have access to heavy barbells at this time.

I liked pulling from the floor, but I also liked overhead lifts. The most I ever lifted with one arm was 100 lbs though (in a bent press years ago). I think I could do my bodyweight like that given enough practice, but I could never be a proper strongman. I do not train for that, but for general strength and physical ability.

Quote:And what is a German diet?

He ate what most Germans ate in the late 19th century. The point is that diet sufficient for living well is good enough for athletes too.

You guys have recommended so many different vitamins I'm not sure which one to buy.  The cheapest one I suppose.

On the other hand, maybe I'll just stick with my gummy vitamins.  Since I'm a child who needs to "grow up" they probably are the best for me anyway.  Q.E.D.
Don't you want to chug back a mix with the mystery green powder of green-ness that I mentioned?  Liquid grass.  Delicious.

I have noticed one side effect though - I really like the taste of greens now and I'm starting to crave them.  I'm making lots of green smoothies these days.  I feel like such a hippie.
(01-12-2013, 10:43 PM)Pheo Wrote: I have noticed one side effect though - I really like the taste of greens now and I'm starting to crave them.  I'm making lots of green smoothies these days.  I feel like such a hippie.

The multivitamin I take is a vegan multivitamin and it has all sorts of claims on it (Non-GMO, organic, etc). I do not fall for that kind of thinking, and I was taking it because I wanted a multivitamin consistent with how I eat and that was accurately labelled. Since it was certified by people who are extremely ideological and borderline terrorists, I figured that I could trust it (ie, if they were lying, they would not get away with it).

I will eat some GMO corn to make up for the hippy vibe.
(01-01-2013, 07:19 PM)Heinrich Wrote:
(01-01-2013, 04:45 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(12-31-2012, 01:55 PM)Guardian Wrote: Also protein.  I work out quite a bit and lots of guys I know swear up and down about different protein shakes.  I eat plenty of chicken, as well as some pork, and beef (mostly chicken though) during the week. Is adding in a protein supplement going to do much for me?

Protein is poorly understood by most.

Protein shakes are a money making scam. Adding a protein supplement is going to drain your wallet and fill your toilet with whatever your body cannot convert to a usable form. Protein can be used for energy as well.

Micromanaging macronutrients does not help, but it takes a lot of time and leads to nutritional hoodoo.

If you are not gaining weight or intending too, then you surely have no use for protein supplements. If you are intending to gain weight, then you may have a use, but only if you are essentially fasting otherwise.

All the people in the iron game do the supplement game, because that is what is being sold, but being exceptionally strong and healthy is not related to buying things in bottles (or any other container).

With my thirty years' experience in bodybuilding, power lifting, martial arts and other general fitness areas, I have to say I disagree with you based on this experience.

Here is a snip from an article written by Dr. Joseph Mercola, and medical and holistic practitioner:
5. Whey Protein Concentrate

Whey protein, a by-product of cheese production, was promoted for its health benefits as early as 420 B.C. As you age, your body gradually loses its ability to produce critical amino acids – the essential proteins you need for energy production, immune actions and protein buildup in your muscle. Therefore, the need to supplement with these amino acids increases with age, and increases even more in times of high physical stress, like after a workout, or when recovering from injury or illness.

Whey protein concentrate (not to be confused with the far inferior whey protein isolate) is an ideal choice as it's a rich source of highly bioavailable amino acids that many are unaware of. Whey protein has been linked to a variety of health benefits, including:

Read the rest at http://lewrockwell.com/mercola/mercola256.html

Heinrich, is there a particular brand of whey protein you would recommend? I'm coming close to the end of a chemotherapy treatment and by the grace of God, my prognosis looks excellent. However, I have lost a considerable amount of muscle and strength because of it. I intend to begin a weight/strength training program as soon as I can to restore (and exceed) by former muscle mass and any help would be appreciated, pal!
(01-12-2013, 10:57 PM)Rosarium Wrote: I will eat some GMO corn to make up for the hippy vibe.

Nooooooo - not BT corn!

Funny you mention it, but I don't think I've knowingly eaten a GMO for a few months now.  It's not easy, but it's doable.  It's not because I'm particularly concerned that they'll do anything to me health-wise, but I find Monsanto to be a particularly objectionable beast of a company.  Patenting life, bringing farmers to court for pollen having been blown on the wind, seemingly trying to eliminate genetic diversity in plants, etc.

Not that the hippie companies will have stellar track records either, but there you have it.
(01-12-2013, 11:25 PM)Pheo Wrote:
(01-12-2013, 10:57 PM)Rosarium Wrote: I will eat some GMO corn to make up for the hippy vibe.

Nooooooo - not BT corn!

Funny you mention it, but I don't think I've knowingly eaten a GMO for a few months now.  It's not easy, but it's doable.  It's not because I'm particularly concerned that they'll do anything to me health-wise, but I find Monsanto to be a particularly objectionable beast of a company.  Patenting life, bringing farmers to court for pollen having been blown on the wind, seemingly trying to eliminate genetic diversity in plants, etc.

Not that the hippie companies will have stellar track records either, but there you have it.

GMO crops are a good thing.

The legal issues are found elsewhere too.

You use all sorts of products which are from those who patent ideas, steal, and cheat their way to riches. They even made a number "illegal".

Eating the GMO corn as I type this. :)
(01-12-2013, 11:01 PM)Joshua Wrote: Heinrich, is there a particular brand of whey protein you would recommend? I'm coming close to the end of a chemotherapy treatment and by the grace of God, my prognosis looks excellent. However, I have lost a considerable amount of muscle and strength because of it. I intend to begin a weight/strength training program as soon as I can to restore (and exceed) by former muscle mass and any help would be appreciated, pal!

Oh, boy. I mentioned a few pages back that I use the generic version from Natural Grocers. But to be honest, my gunslinger Brother, I just do not feel comfortable giving advice in this situation. While I did to the OP, I assumed he was in the normal ranges of health(as I am). I was recommending on my years of personal experience, not as a nutritionist or health professional. Please be assured of my prayers.

This is for Ros:

Vegan elite athlete: