In a Crisis, Humanists Seem Absent
(12-31-2012, 01:40 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Some secular people do care about others but if many of them really and truly looked to the logical conclusions of their philosophy of a meaningless random godless universe then why should they? There is no "reason" in an unintelligible ultimately random and meaningless universe for anything at all, much less altruism. It would have to be based on solely arbitrary pragmatic concerns or sheer sentimental emoting with the understanding that behind either "reason" stands nothing at all.

Yes, that is what I was getting at by saying they fall short in reason.  Here is a secular understanding of the basis of compassion that I found online: 
Quote:Empathy is neurologically hard wired into the brain at birth. But for a neurological system to survive the massive neuronal pruning that goes on very early in life, it needs to be exercised. Raise a child wrong, and they lose their humanity.

In essence, this means that when you encounter someone who has the worldview that empathy is weak, wishy-washy childish sentiment, you are literally talking to someone with brain damage.

(12-31-2012, 01:40 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: As for your friend, that is tragic and I will add her to my rosary intentions, most especially asking Our Lady of Sorrows and your friends Guardian Angel to bring her at some point in time back to that Faith. She may have given up on God but He will not give up on her.

Thank you very much.
(12-31-2012, 11:57 AM)Tim Wrote: I doubt they'll form some kind of a community ala secular church meeting hall or anything like that. Arthur Brooks has a website and wrote a book all about charity and it's demographics which goes right to this point. One fourth of self described liberals or democrats are also self described secularists, either atheists or similar. This slice of society gives zero, nothing, to the poor, hungry, homeless. They don't think it's their responsibility, they think that is the government's function.

tim 

The Unitarian church seems to be a home to a lot of people who identify as humanist or athiest.
Humanists care too much... but without giving a damn. They love humanity and hate actual people.
(12-31-2012, 10:15 PM)jake-the-rake Wrote: Humanists care too much... but without giving a damn. They love humanity and hate actual people.

'I love mankind. It's people I can't stand', Linus from Peanuts.
Salute jovan66102,

They obviously care a lot, just look at all the laws and surveillance, all the micro-management and thought control. Yet they obviously don't give a damn, just look at all the broken homes, abandoned children and substance abuse.

I guess the care coefficient remains the same, but is merely shifted from the real to the abstract.

“Aim at Heaven and you will get earth 'thrown in': aim at earth and you ..."