Legion of Christ and regnum Christie
(01-01-2013, 03:18 AM)Steven Wrote: My experience with the Legionaries of Christ has been excellent.  I made a retreat at their seminary in Cheshire, CT, and had blessed time.  It was a very holy and Catholic environment, and all of the clergy were wonderful.  On one of the days, the Mass I assisted at was even ad orientem and in Latin.

They can get nothing but a solid recommendation from me!
That is why Pope John Paul II had a difficult time believing all the other stuff about Fr. Maciel
(01-01-2013, 03:18 AM)Steven Wrote: My experience with the Legionaries of Christ has been excellent.  I made a retreat at their seminary in Cheshire, CT, and had blessed time.  It was a very holy and Catholic environment, and all of the clergy were wonderful.  On one of the days, the Mass I assisted at was even ad orientem and in Latin.

They can get nothing but a solid recommendation from me!

This is my experience too.  I have done excellent retreats with them and they do reverent Masses.
That's the problem today, like Gorgonzola, in the cheese are blue veins of mould, and many find that tasty.You have them doing all manner of good and then there are these cancerous parts.  The ugliest part is it's the founder.

tim
(01-01-2013, 01:06 AM)Poche Wrote: In all fairness to John Paul II, he came from an environment where the powers that be were always trying to compromise and destroy those priests who were successful. Fr maciel always denied the accusations and it is possible that the pope at that time was decieved.     

That is true. Nevertheless, it was highly imprudent to dismiss all accusations as politically motivated and not request a proper investigation.
(01-01-2013, 12:49 AM)DrBombay Wrote: Your foot is blessed? Only one?  Huh?

And what has Opus Dei to do with Legion?

Simply that both groups are dying out. Thats all.
Do you have to be a jack ass about everything? I know you're the self proclaimed "quintessential heckler" but shouldn't you just go make balloon animals in a circus or become a stand up comedian? Some people have serious questions.
(01-01-2013, 07:42 AM)Scotus Wrote:
(01-01-2013, 01:06 AM)Poche Wrote: In all fairness to John Paul II, he came from an environment where the powers that be were always trying to compromise and destroy those priests who were successful. Fr maciel always denied the accusations and it is possible that the pope at that time was decieved.     

That excuse doesn't cut it anymore. Over his abysmal Pontificate he had 25 accusations brought to him about Pervert Marciel. He did nothing. When Ratzinger tried to open an investigation in the late 90's JPII had it stopped. It wasn't until JPII went away and Benedict came in that anything was done. JPII is as culpable as Marciel.
(01-01-2013, 09:41 AM)The Dying Flutchman Wrote:
(01-01-2013, 12:49 AM)DrBombay Wrote: Your foot is blessed? Only one?  Huh?

And what has Opus Dei to do with Legion?

Simply that both groups are dying out. Thats all.
Do you have to be a jack ass about everything? I know you're the self proclaimed "quintessential heckler" but shouldn't you just go make balloon animals in a circus or become a stand up comedian? Some people have serious questions.

Well, I don't have to be a jack ass about everything, no.  But when someone insinuates a link between two organizations, one of which is founded by a pederast and the other founded by a canonized saint, I feel it's my duty. Your question wasn't really serious, now was it?  No, of course it wasn't.

Don't be a douche and I won't be a jack ass.  That's the lesson of all this, son.  Tip o' the hat

I grieve for the poor R.C. women. 

What hell they have been put through.

May the good Lord have mercy on them. I pray for them and hope the split was not too painful. Perhaps the women will lead to tradition. We can only hope.
If you think Opus Dei is dying out, you are living in a dream world.
(01-01-2013, 11:02 PM)maldon Wrote: If you think Opus Dei is dying out, you are living in a dream world.
The Opus Dei Priests are doing fine. In fact they have increased over the past few years, but the lay group has dropped.