Homosexual Marriage. Why is the Church picking this battleground ?
(01-02-2013, 10:55 AM)Pheo Wrote:
(01-02-2013, 06:53 AM)ggreg Wrote: That might be a factor I agree.  But why protest it at all?  Given how weak these Bishops have been over the last 40 years this would be a perfect thing to ignore.   All they would need to say would be that a Catholic cannot get married to a person of the same sex and leave it at that.

It feels like they are drawing a line in the sand with this issue and I am confused as to why they would.

It's the law of the land in Canada, and I don't remember our clergy putting up anywhere near this much of a fight.  I'm sure a few did, but there wasn't a peep from the pulpit - and I circulated between several different parishes at the time.

There was a Bishops' statement about it.  From the CCB, as I recall.

(01-02-2013, 10:55 AM)Pheo Wrote: Actually I attended the NO back then and one of the lectors at my home parish was a Liberal Party Member of Parliament who supported the legislation.  Our parish priest defended her up to the hilt.  Here's what he told Lifesitenews when a bishop in an entirely different province criticised her position:

Quote:“Aileen Carrol is a member in good standing of this parish,” Fr. McDevitt told LifeSiteNews.com in an interview.  ... “Quoting one reactionary bishop out in Calgary who wants to spew off about everything under the sun because he’s a short man who needs to get lots of press - that’s not the basis of how the church works in Canada.”

I honestly don't understand the change that has occurred since then and I didn't expect the leaders in the UK to be much more conservative than the ones here.

I used to support same-sex marriage back then.  Events have shown me how foolish this was.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Homosexual Marriage. Why is the Church picking this battleground ? - by JayneK - 01-02-2013, 11:40 AM