Homosexual Marriage. Why is the Church picking this battleground ?
(01-02-2013, 11:53 AM)Azurestone Wrote: Neither and this is a foolish comparison. The fight is over the protection of the most basic structure of a civilized society. This is more than about to girls getting tax benefits for doing scissors. Marriage is the foundation of the family from which children are born and raised. Homosexual  and philanthropist mock-marriages are both abominations to a cornerstone in the social structure. Falling for these cheap 'reductio ad nauseum' arguments only strengthen the continued breakdown of society.

In many European countries, there are more people living in sin outside of marriage today than in real (valid) marriages, (especially if we include divorced and remarried people without annulments).  Not taking divorce and remarriage into account a majority of births were outside marriage in Iceland (64.3%), Estonia (59.7%), Slovenia (56.8%), Bulgaria (56%), Norway (55%), Sweden (54.2%), and France (55%).

The cornerstone has eroded away.  Drawing the line in the sand now about homomarriage seems too little too late to me.  Society has already broken down.  Look around you.
(01-02-2013, 08:31 PM)ggreg Wrote:
(01-02-2013, 11:53 AM)Azurestone Wrote: Neither and this is a foolish comparison. The fight is over the protection of the most basic structure of a civilized society. This is more than about to girls getting tax benefits for doing scissors. Marriage is the foundation of the family from which children are born and raised. Homosexual  and philanthropist mock-marriages are both abominations to a cornerstone in the social structure. Falling for these cheap 'reductio ad nauseum' arguments only strengthen the continued breakdown of society.

In many European countries, there are more people living in sin outside of marriage today than in real (valid) marriages, (especially if we include divorced and remarried people without annulments).  Not taking divorce and remarriage into account a majority of births were outside marriage in Iceland (64.3%), Estonia (59.7%), Slovenia (56.8%), Bulgaria (56%), Norway (55%), Sweden (54.2%), and France (55%).

The cornerstone has eroded away.  Drawing the line in the sand now about homomarriage seems too little too late to me.  Society has already broken down.  Look around you.

I don't live in Europe. The world is not Europe.

Besides, Europe is already considered post-Christian. Western-cultural knowledge already recognizes that traditional Catholicism holds to traditional families. That battle has been fought for years, and is losing. What better way to fight for the same banner (traditional marriage), than to attack it on a different front (Gay Scissor Sex, GSS). GSS may not be big in the grand scheme of things, but it is a good way to reintroduce the same battle into the minds of the public and (hopefully) the faithful.
The Church is centrally run from Europe.  The response I am talking about,  from the Bishops, is in Europe.

I am sure Arabic Catholics take marriage far more seriously as do other places in the world as do parts of Asia and their children don't live together outside of marriage.

But Europe and the US are the prevailing secular cultures in the world today.  Where we go the rest of the world tends to follow.

(01-02-2013, 08:31 PM)ggreg Wrote: The cornerstone has eroded away.  Drawing the line in the sand now about homomarriage seems too little too late to me.  Society has already broken down.  Look around you.

That's how I see it.  If the reason is to help society it is too late.  However, the posts about same-sex marriage leading to persecution of the Church make sense.  It is worth opposing for that reason.
(01-02-2013, 11:05 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(01-02-2013, 08:31 PM)ggreg Wrote: The cornerstone has eroded away.  Drawing the line in the sand now about homomarriage seems too little too late to me.  Society has already broken down.  Look around you.

That's how I see it.  If the reason is to help society it is too late.  However, the posts about same-sex marriage leading to persecution of the Church make sense.  It is worth opposing for that reason.

It is way past too late to help society but we ought to fight this battle to keep the Church out of the catacombs. Even in saying that I think it is too late. Western culture has so eroded there is really no turning back. We must hold to our faith as this culture literally crumbles and descends into a really dark and barbaric age and hope that either Christ returns before it is over or that there will be enough serious Catholics left to build a new culture on the ruins of the old.
Its only too late when you give up.