Scholarly Popes?
Who were the most scholarly popes?

Benedict XIV, who in 1757 removed books supporting heliocentrism from the Index, was, according to John S. Daly, a "scholar-pope." The Catholic Encyclopedia's author of the "Benedict XIV" entry says he has "the distinction of being perhaps the greatest scholar among the popes."
The current Pope is pretty scholarly. Supposedly Leo XIII penned his own encyclicals in his beautiful Latin. Benedict XIV was definitely scholarly.
John XXI. He was the only physician pope and Portuguese pope. He was well educated in many fields. Sadly, he only reigned 8 months when the roof of his apartment collapsed on him and he died a few days later. One of the many good pontiffs that passed away before they could proclaim anything.
(01-01-2013, 07:44 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: Leo XIII
I heard Leo XIII took classes in scholastic Thomism while he was Pope, behind a screen because it wasn't considered proper for a reigning pope to take classes. I forget what famous Thomist was teaching the classes…
Pope Innocent III was, I believe, the first university trained pope.  He had degrees in both canon law and theology.

Pope Sylvester II has been called the "scientist pope" because of his interest in mathematics and natural philosophy.  He was so clever that he was accused by his enemies of being a sorcerer...  :grin:
From all that I've read about him, Eugenio Pacelli (Pope Pius XII) was almost always the smartest guy in the room.

[Image: PopePiusXII.jpg]
Pope St. Gregory the Great was a scholarly Pope and a Doctor of the Church.

Well if we are just talking scholarly here Pope Benedict XVI (especially as Cardinal) is very scholarly. i disagree with 99.99999% of what he has wrote, but he has done a lot.