Share your best recipe
Put that can of refried beans back on the shelf. Beans are easy, cheap and nutritious. This is one thing everyone will eat at our house.

Candyapples' Family Bean Recipe

1.25- 1.5 lbs pinto beans from bin or organic ones from a farmers market

1 lbs thick cut bacon

Salt

Optional oil or lard or butter

Steps

1.Triple rinse and sort beans letting soak for a few min ea rinse. Pick and funky beans out and rocks.

2. Put beans in a pot and add water about 3" above beans. Bring to a boil 10 min, cover and simmer 1 hour.
Next, stir beans add 1lb thick cut raw bacon to pot. Bring to boil 10 min. Cover with lid and simmer another 1 hour.

*Optional in Step 3: to add some corn oil here. About 3/4 c. My husband does but I don't find it necessary because of the full pound of bacon. If you need the beans less soupy at the end you can let it reduce by simmering with lid off or add a pinch of dissolved cornstarch; but its not necessary especially if you plan to refry them. Plus when you store the leftover beans they will absorb the liquid and be perfect. I don't mess with the cornstarch.

3. Stir, add optional oil, boil 10 min, put lid back on simmer 45-60 min.

4. Check for pinto bean tenderness. Skim off bacon.

5. Enjoy with salt and a tortilla with butter or refry.

To refry-
Add a cup of beans with the broth to a pan with a tablespoon of oil, lard or butter. Fry until consistency you like, mashing a couple with fork if necessary. Add some salt to taste. Don't over salt if your going to add cheddar cheese to them.

Great with crockpot shredded beef for tacos. Corn tortilla, beef, hot sauce, diced onion and cilantro. Side of refrained beans and cheese. Yum.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Ingredients

Roasted Chicken
2 cans Green enchilada sauce
Corn tortillas
2 cans Green Ortega chilies diced
16 oz sour cream
2 lbs cheddar cheese or 1 lb cheddar and  1 lb Colby or Monterey or pepper jack
Oil

Put sour cream on counter to let soften.
Pan fry about 20 corn tortillas in a tablespoon corn oil or light taste olive oil and pat off excess oil.
Get an assembly ready: casserole dish, bowl of enchilada sauce, bowl of shredded chicken, bowel of diced ortega chilies, bowl of shredded cheese, sour cream.
Put about a tablespoon or 2 of enchilada sauce in casserole dish.
Layer:
Dip corn tortilla in enchilada sauce, place first layer corn tortilla. Add shredded chicken. Add some diced ortegas- kinda like the amount of topping on a pizza. Stir sour cream to make it spreadable. Add layer of sour cream to casserole. Layer cheese.
Preheat oven 325.
Repeat layers until done.
Bake until melted cheese and bubbly.

You can tweak this to add what you like, olives, peppers, etc.
Childhood Favorite

Meatloaf

2 lbs  Hamburger  (I use 22 percent lean.)
4  Potatoes  cut up in small cubes
1  Onion chopped small bits or finely chopped
6  Carrots cut up in small cubes
1/2 box  Ritz crackers [2 or 3 rows of crackers]
2 or 3  Eggs
1  can  Tomato Sauce
1 Lg or 2 little cans  Tomato Paste for topping
4 Tbls  Worcestershire sauce
Salt & Pepper if you like, I don't until cooked or done.

Take the hamburger and put in a large bowl or a deep baking pan (mix in the same pan I bake it in, like a good sized ceramic roasting pan.) and mix in the potato's & carrot's and onion's. Then scramble the two eggs in a bowl and add the Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce and then mix it in with the hamburger. The hamburger will be moist which is good... then add the crushed up Ritz crackers (finely crushed is ok.) and form into a loaf or rounded in the roast pan. *optional* cover the top with tomato paste (you could use ketchup) and bake covered (I use tin foil) at 375 degrees for 1 to one and 1/2 hours, then cook uncovered another 20 to 30 minutes.  I suggest salting your slice before you eat.

Large batch for many

five pound bag of carrots (love the carrots), 4lbs of burger, 5lb bag of potato's, 2 lg onions, 2 lrg cans of tomato sauce, 6 to 8 eggs, About 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce, full box or more of Ritz, and 1 roast pan with one 8 X12 glass baking pan.
(01-02-2013, 11:53 AM)Tim Wrote: Braciole

This recipe has been adapted from a Sicilian one, and as Emeril says taken up a notch.

6 slices sirloin tip thin or other thin steak. Stay away from round steak it has no fat and is tasteless.

6 eggs hardboiled

1 cup Italian Bread crumbs

Italian Parsley chopped

3 cloves garlic or more pressed

Olive oil

1 lb. Crimini mushrooms or button or whichever look good, cleaned and sliced

Beef stock, in a box is okay

1 cup of drinkable white wine you have on hand, even dry vermouth

Pecorino Romano grated at least a cup

Adjust the cheese and as your family likes best, this recipe is flexible. Another adaption is to not use the beef stock but substitute canned diced tomatoes.

These can be served with mashed potatoes, polenta, or tagliatelle made with eggs, and buttered with Italian cheese.

Grate the hard boiled eggs in a mixing bowl, add the bread crumbs, add the pecorino romano, add the garlic, add olive oil and mix together with enough oil to be able to make patties or balls. Salt and pepper to taste. If the steaks are big adjust the filling by adding proprtional amounts of ingredients..

Layout the steak, salt and pepper to taste, place 1/6 of filling on steakand wrap it up, next tie it with butcher string both ways, repeat for all of steaks.
Heat Dutch Oven, add oil, and brown braciole on all sides, and remove. Then saute the mushrooms .

Put the braciole back in add the wine, and let it evaporate the alcohol for a minute, then add the beef stock, cover and simmer a half hour. Serve them with the mashed potatoes, or on a bed of polenta or over tagliatelle. If the gravy is too thin use cornstarch diluted in water to thicken, pour some over each braciole.

try 'em you'll like 'em

tim

I was waiting for TIm to come through.  :) :) :)  :cheers: :nonsum:
I have a couple of them up over at me blog.  http://veilnation.blogspot.com.au/search...%20Kitchen.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton

Peppermint Chocolate Milkshake:

Ingredients:

Peppermint icecream
Choc Syrup
Milk

Place 2 scoops of icecream in blender with milk, along with choc syrup. Blend. Pour. Savor getting fat.
Okay, now maybe this one will get Jake to add some of his brother's best.

Brasato al Barolo

This pot roast is classic from the Piedmont in Italy.

You'll need one of those nice old big oval dutch oven with a lid for this. This is my family's adaptation for this classic.

A bottle of Barolo is best, but I've used any good Italian Red Dry Tanic Wine, DOC prefered because California wine is very good but very different wine.

A nice piece of boneless Chuck about 5 lbs.

3 or 4 ribs on outer Celery diced coarsely to about 3/8 squares. This size is just a reference.

1 large white, red, or Vidalia cut about the same size.

2 carrots cut the same

2 leeks cut the same, clean well these are dirty

6 cloves of garlic

2 sprigs Rosemary

1 sprig thyme

1 sprig sage

1 qt. approx. beef stock or broth

Olive Oil, and butter for frying, and flour for dredging the meat, and salt an pepper for seasoning to taste. Remember salt free diets have been shown to be the cause of strokes and heart attacks. I'm not kidding, it produces too much renin in the kidneys.

Heat the Dutch Oven, and add Olive oil and butter to brown the meat.Dredge the Chuck Roast and season with salt and pepper. Brown the meat on all sides, then remove to a plate with lips for the juices to collect.

Add the celery, onions, leeks, carrots, and saute. Add Olive oil and butter if needed, this should release all the fond stuck to the pot, add the garlic and continue until the sofrito has yielded their flavor and are 2/3 done. Then place the roast on top, add 1/2 the Barolo or other wine, and the quart of beef stock.
Raise the heat and bring to  a rolling boil and reduce to simmer, cover and cook about 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours. Keep and eye on this you'll want to flip the roast to evenly cook the roast. You'll also have to keep an eye on the liquid, and may need to add more stock or water. This is the secret ingredient, the cook must drink the other half of the Barolo, because the worker deserves his pay. wink, wink, nod, nod.

When the meat is done, and it should be nearly falling apart, remove to a plate, tent it with tinfoil, and let it rest. Drain the cooking liquid through a sieve, and toss the vegetables,but keep the juices. Pour off into a seperator to use the fat.

This is my twist. I reconstitute dried Porcini mushrooms in some water for ten minutes until they are good. I then take them from the water and cut into pieces.
In the same dutch oven I put the fat from the roast, adding more if necessary, and saute the porcini mushrooms, then adding flour to make a roux for the juice as necessary, the pour over the juices, and make a sauce. Slice the meat and pour the sauce over it an serve.

This goes well with polenta with Parmiggiano, but it also goes well with mashed potatoes with green beans added to them, another possibility is tagliatelle, but served with butter and Parmiggiano or Pecorino Romano or Pecorino  Sardegne. I found this little video but they are serving them with Bolognese. That brings a tear to my eye as it was a childhood favorite, and that another story.

tim
Here's another you tube for tagliatelle;

tim