Breakaway nuns join Catholic Church
Quote:TWELVE Church of England nuns were “welcomed home” yesterday when they formally converted to Catholicism.

The nuns from Wantage’s Community of St Mary the Virgin were received into full communion at The Oxford Oratory.

They are the first in Oxfordshire and the second in the country to leave the Anglican Church under an initiative set up by the Pope.

The oratory’s Daniel Seward began the service by saying: “My dear Mother, my dear Sisters, welcome home!”

He said: “This is not a betrayal of what has come before, but it is the fulfilment of those vows you have already made and the fruition of the love and service of those generations of sisters who have gone before you.”

The nuns will be given a new home after leaving the Challow Road community, where 16 remain.

It is the first time county nuns have left to join the Pope’s Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham, set up in 2011.

The Wantage convent was founded through the Oxford Movement of the mid 19th century. It hit headlines last year when a care assistant won an unfair dismissal case amid allegations of abuse and bullying, though the ordinariate said the change was not related to the case.

In an earlier statement, Mother Winsome, the Superior of the Community, said: “We believe the Holy Father’s offer is a prophetic gesture which brings to a happy conclusion the prayers of generations of Anglicans and Catholics who have sought a way forward for Christian unity.”

Source
Nuns on the run!  :nun: :nun: :nun: :nun: :nun: :nun: :nun: :nun: :nun:
The Church of England's days are numbered. The various continuing Anglican bodies may continue for some time (those that do not join the ordinariate) but I can't see the CoE surviving for another fifty years. I do not see who it can appeal to anymore. The leadership tries so hard to be relevant, but it is all pretty aimless. Speaking of which, has anyone ever looked at a list of Anglican "saints?" A very strange group.
I think the Church of England will probably still be there to some extent, but probably as more of a relic held up by the Africans.
At best they will become like some of the other national churches in Northern Europe (Church of Finland/ Sweden etc. ) that exist for weddings and funerals.
(01-02-2013, 05:27 PM)DoktorDespot Wrote: At best they will become like some of the other national churches in Northern Europe (Church of Finland/ Sweden etc. ) that exist for weddings and funerals.

All propped up by "old money" as the Episcopalian Church in America currently is.
The episcopal church is even farther along its path of decline. While CoE tries to get woman bishops approved the Episcopal Church USA already has a woman bishop as its head.