What do you personally prefer: low mass or sung mass?
Every person seems to have their own opinion on the issue so I am interested in what everyone's preference.

Personally, I think the liturgy is meant to be celebrated with as much solemnity as possible. If we look at the history of the liturgy we see that solemn mass (that is with deacon and sub deacon) is actually the "ordinary form." However, I have found that the type of mass that I have enjoyed the most (and in which I was most spiritually focused etc. ) has been the Missa Cantata in the less solemn form. That is a sung mass, but without incense, and only two servers (so no MC or torchbearers.) I like that it is sung, but there are not a dozen people crowding the altar which I often find distracting.
I miss those Missa Cantata, 'Sung Low Mass' (wait, do those exist?) with two servers and no choir, all sung by congregation. It was so long ago, I might even be imagining it. But I think I remember serving them.

Now we have the silent Low Mass, and sung High Mass, never anything in-between. But still incredible.

The beauty is, there are so many variations on the same mass, for many different situations/feasts, all with their own beauty. It's a shame that the TLM is still kept from so many faithful, when it has such potential to deepen faith and sacredness.
Low mass, it's easier to concentrate and seems more 'personal'
A Sung High Mass for Sunday Masses. A Low Mass for weekdays and Saturdays.
3 MC's and 1 deacon, I know they existed long ago. When I was returning I stumbled on EWTN Mass and they were singing the Gloria, and from deep in my memory I sang with them remembering it from another epoch.

tim
(01-02-2013, 06:22 PM)Tim Wrote: 3 MC's and 1 deacon, I know they existed long ago. When I was returning I stumbled on EWTN Mass and they were singing the Gloria, and from deep in my memory I sang with them remembering it from another epoch.

tim

I think the Gloria is my favorite part of a sung Mass. I was so happy when advent was over this year because it meant the gloria was back.
High Mass.  And I'm glad to know I share that preference with the Church herself!

As a member of the schola, I'm very grateful to be able to chant the Mass with my brothers.  Ideally, I read and pray the propers beforehand so that I can better pray as I chant.  That is an amazing bonus.
(01-02-2013, 06:22 PM)Tim Wrote: 3 MC's and 1 deacon, I know they existed long ago. When I was returning I stumbled on EWTN Mass and they were singing the Gloria, and from deep in my memory I sang with them remembering it from another epoch.

tim

Good to know. And I'm sure that's exactly the participation St. Pius X had in mind... I wonder what happened to that version of the low mass, and why it's not more common. You don't *need* a professional choir.

I can hardly imagine, tim, what it must have been like growing up with TLM being just 'going to mass", and a (traditional) parish every few blocks. You were very lucky.
Low.  I like the quiet and the fewer people.
High Mass, preferably a Solemn High Mass. I went to one at St. Mary's in Norwalk, CT at the end of November and it's the Mass I'd take a non Catholic or non Traditionalist friend or relative to to make an impression on them.

I'd go to a Low Mass once a month if I had my way.