What do you personally prefer: low mass or sung mass?
Missa Solemnis is definitely my preference. I really enjoy the alignments of the Sacred Ministers during the Orations and the Gospel blessing, procession, and chanting.
(01-02-2013, 06:31 PM)DoktorDespot Wrote:
(01-02-2013, 06:22 PM)Tim Wrote: 3 MC's and 1 deacon, I know they existed long ago. When I was returning I stumbled on EWTN Mass and they were singing the Gloria, and from deep in my memory I sang with them remembering it from another epoch.

tim

I think the Gloria is my favorite part of a sung Mass. I was so happy when advent was over this year because it meant the gloria was back.
Me too! There is one priest in particular at our church who intones the Gloria in the most sublime manner.
[Image: qrcode.png?w=500]
Considering the parish atmosphere, I prefer the Sung Mass (or greater) on Sundays and Holy Days, and the Low Mass on other days. This actually accords most with the ancient development. The Sung Mass is the central Eucharist celebrated with the entire congregation. The Low Mass developed from the Mass in homes, and the private Mass. Now obviously if I am visiting a monastery, I feel cheated if the conventual Mass is a Low Mass.
Lone-serving a Religious's Low Mass at a side altar in a beautiful Gothic monastery.
(01-02-2013, 06:11 PM)TrentCath Wrote: Low mass, it's easier to concentrate and seems more 'personal'

I agree with this, but I like Sung High Masses on Holy days.
Any Mass that I don't have to bring the kids. Grin
(01-02-2013, 08:09 PM)The Dying Flutchman Wrote:
(01-02-2013, 06:11 PM)TrentCath Wrote: Low mass, it's easier to concentrate and seems more 'personal'

I agree with this, but I like Sung High Masses on Holy days.

This!
Low Mass, short homily.

(Our young children seem to prefer that)...

If without kids, High Mass.
High mass or missa cantata.

The low mass only came into existence because not all praishes had the faculty or means to perform high mass.

Mass is not a private devotion, so the idea of low mass being more "personal" is kind of against the spirit of the mass.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(01-02-2013, 08:44 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: High mass or missa cantata.

The low mass only came into existence because not all praishes had the faculty or means to perform high mass.

Mass is not a private devotion, so the idea of low mass being more "personal" is kind of against the spirit of the mass.

Exactly.  However, to be fair, the OP did ask about people's preferences.

There is no such thing as a low Mass in the Eastern Church.  Nevertheless, in practice, the Divine Liturgy can be somewhat scaled down, also because of lack of resources.  In any case, it is always sung.