What do you personally prefer: low mass or sung mass?
(01-03-2013, 11:34 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: I'll say my preference is for a Solemn Mass with well-sung chant with the whole congregation singing the Common, without overbearing organ, without polyphonic hymns, with some appropriate processional and recessional on the organ.

Good comment.  (That's why they call you magister!)
(01-03-2013, 11:34 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: It is perhaps worthy of note that not every Solemn or Sung Mass is the same.

So those who prefer the more silent, meditative environment of a Low Mass, might be struck that a monastic Solemn Mass or Abbatial Mass would be surprisingly akin to this same sentiment. You would hear well-sung Gregorian Chant, and responses, but without all the crooning that sometimes is the hallmark of parish singing. There would be no over-the-top organ or orchestral interludes or sing-songy hymns. Just the simple meditative and beautiful chant to hear, and the graceful actions of the ministers to witness.

I'll say my preference is for a Solemn Mass with well-sung chant with the whole congregation singing the Common, without overbearing organ, without polyphonic hymns, with some appropriate processional and recessional on the organ. Appreciating the silence of a Low Mass, I've found such a Solemn Mass is even more focusing for concentrating on the liturgy. What bothers me is when the Sung or Solemn Masses turn into a non-congregational singing with sappy organ music and those same old hymns that should have stayed where they originated, in the theatre.

MagisterMusicae!

Fisheaters has missed you.
(01-03-2013, 01:29 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(01-03-2013, 11:34 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: It is perhaps worthy of note that not every Solemn or Sung Mass is the same.

So those who prefer the more silent, meditative environment of a Low Mass, might be struck that a monastic Solemn Mass or Abbatial Mass would be surprisingly akin to this same sentiment. You would hear well-sung Gregorian Chant, and responses, but without all the crooning that sometimes is the hallmark of parish singing. There would be no over-the-top organ or orchestral interludes or sing-songy hymns. Just the simple meditative and beautiful chant to hear, and the graceful actions of the ministers to witness.

I'll say my preference is for a Solemn Mass with well-sung chant with the whole congregation singing the Common, without overbearing organ, without polyphonic hymns, with some appropriate processional and recessional on the organ. Appreciating the silence of a Low Mass, I've found such a Solemn Mass is even more focusing for concentrating on the liturgy. What bothers me is when the Sung or Solemn Masses turn into a non-congregational singing with sappy organ music and those same old hymns that should have stayed where they originated, in the theatre.

MagisterMusicae!

Fisheaters has missed you.

I am not around for long ... back to the grind, you know ... but lurk occasionally when able ... this post was just too much to pass by.