What non-Roman rite liturgies have you been to?
I have been to the Ukranian Catholic Mass, in Ukranian or Slavonic I could not tell, and it was beautiful.

I went to the Ruthenian Byzantine Mass and it was chaos and nuts. [priest switching back and forth from Spanish to English, kids running around, ugly building, unorthodox sermon]
(01-07-2013, 02:17 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: Would like to see: Syro-Malabar, Syro-Malankara, Ge'ez, Coptic, Melkite

I'll bet you can find every one of those in New York. 
(01-09-2013, 12:42 PM)spasiisochrani Wrote:
(01-07-2013, 02:17 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: Would like to see: Syro-Malabar, Syro-Malankara, Ge'ez, Coptic, Melkite

I'll bet you can find every one of those in New York. 

Yep! I just haven't gone yet. Syro-Malabar for sure (I think in the Bronx?) there is a tiny parish or mission. Syro-Malankara I'd have to leave NYC but there's a place in the greater area. There's a Ge'ez mission but I don't know how often they meet or when. Coptic parish in Brooklyn, Melkites are in Brooklyn. If I really had the time and motivation, I'm sure I could do the whole circuit.
(01-09-2013, 11:04 AM)Old Salt Wrote: I went to the Ruthenian Byzantine Mass and it was chaos and nuts. [priest switching back and forth from Spanish to English, kids running around, ugly building, unorthodox sermon]

Sad! My old Ruthenian Parish was a beautiful little frame Church with a gold coloured dome built in the back parking lot of a much larger Slavic (Slovak or Slovene? I don't remember) Western Rite Church. The interior was beautiful as well. Our pastor was a bi-ritual Irishman who had asked and received from Rome faculties to celebrate the Eastern DL when, as he put it, the Latin Rite Mass was 'raped'. He resided in the Cathedral rectory and celebrated the NO in Latin on days when he didn't offer the DL. His sermons were solid as well. The only drawback was that he couldn't sing very well. Of course, I was spoiled as an Orthodox, because my pastor was a trained Church singer and we had an award winning choir under his direction.
(01-09-2013, 05:07 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(01-09-2013, 11:04 AM)Old Salt Wrote: I went to the Ruthenian Byzantine Mass and it was chaos and nuts. [priest switching back and forth from Spanish to English, kids running around, ugly building, unorthodox sermon]

Sad! My old Ruthenian Parish was a beautiful little frame Church with a gold coloured dome built in the back parking lot of a much larger Slavic (Slovak or Slovene? I don't remember) Western Rite Church. The interior was beautiful as well. Our pastor was a bi-ritual Irishman who had asked and received from Rome faculties to celebrate the Eastern DL when, as he put it, the Latin Rite Mass was 'raped'. He resided in the Cathedral rectory and celebrated the NO in Latin on days when he didn't offer the DL. His sermons were solid as well. The only drawback was that he couldn't sing very well. Of course, I was spoiled as an Orthodox, because my pastor was a trained Church singer and we had an award winning choir under his direction.
Its great to hear that!
But my only local experience with the Eastern Catholic Rite, as been really bad.
I wish I could have gone there full time because it was only 55 miles away.
When I lived in Canonsburg, PA, it was snowing really badly one Sunday, and the nearest church to my house was Ukrainian rite. I could follow along OK, because I speak a little Russian and the words are similar.
(01-09-2013, 05:07 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: The interior was beautiful as well. Our pastor was a bi-ritual Irishman who had asked and received from Rome faculties to celebrate the Eastern DL when, as he put it, the Latin Rite Mass was 'raped'.

Very Interesting. A bi-ritual Irishman. Can we really disagree with his opinion? Sadly not.
If ever I were a priest (God forbid, you say.) I would love to be OSBM Divine Liturgy in vernacular (English and Ukrainian) with permission to celebrate Slavonic, and to be bi-ritual Tridentine Mass.
(01-10-2013, 10:46 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: If ever I were a priest (God forbid, you say.) I would love to be OSBM Divine.

But you'd have to move out to Mundare! Well, at least the sausage is good! :LOL:
(01-11-2013, 12:41 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(01-10-2013, 10:46 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: If ever I were a priest (God forbid, you say.) I would love to be OSBM Divine.

But you'd have to move out to Mundare! Well, at least the sausage is good! :LOL:

Or as Father Daniel Wach, Fr Seraphim and others have called it, MUNDANE.  :grin:
(01-11-2013, 10:34 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:
(01-11-2013, 12:41 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:

Or as Father Daniel Wach, Fr Seraphim and others have called it, MUNDANE.  :grin:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: But I like it! It's a nice little town!