Praying in the presence of consecrated women?
We are friendly with the Mother of an order here, and my wife and I have been in the presence of her and others at the time when a prayer should be said.  This might be a Hail Mary for protection of some sort or the blessing of a meal.

I know that men have authority of prayer over lay women.  But what about consecrated women?  Is it appropriate to ask a Mother or a Sister to lead in praying over a meal, praying for safety, etc when a male is present, even a layman?  They are consecrated after all...so I'm not sure.

Well, according to the Second Vatican Council...

:eyeroll:
Hmm ... interesting question. Maybe just give her the option, or ask your priest.
In the order of grace I'd say she has the seniority but I'm not 100% sure
It has been my observation that Catholics pray grace over meals together.
Interesting question.

There have been several instances where, before meals, women just jump start the prayer of Blessing.

I have made more of an effort lately to lead that, even so far as to stop a woman and say, "I'm the man here, I'll lead" (note-- be prepared to defend the reason when you do this, as it can come off as chauvinistic, depending).

As for Consecrated women... I dunno.
(01-08-2013, 12:32 AM)Poche Wrote: It has been my observation that Catholics pray grace over meals together.

I agree.  As a family, we all say grace together :)
Check with Dom Williamson, he has great insight about this kind of subject.