Detroit opportunity for a Trad parish
Folks, what's the Traditionalist situation in Detroit? SSPX, FSSP, ICKSP, etc.? This beautiful church just became available for a great price.

http://angelqueen.org/2013/01/09/you-can...for-79000/
Reverse Homesteading ! Back to the cities and re-build the Parish ghettos.

tim
I am from the Detroit area and my extended family is still there.  The Detroit Catholic community appears to be in crisis, as is the whole city in general.  There are a lot of opinions as to what is wrong, how it got that way, and how to fix it.  Fact of the matter is that it is a complicated situation without easy answers.

I know that many NO Parishes are being combined in various ways, but I am not certain of the particular details.  The Catholic school down the street from my Grandmother recently closed its doors due to lack of enrollment.  The situation has affected and distressed many people in the area.  They need our prayers.

When in the Detroit area I prefer the SSPX St. Anne's Church in Livonia.

I think (I do not know for sure) that the Assumption Grotto Catholic Church and the St. Josaphat Catholic Church in Detroit still offer the TLM.

I do not know if the FSSP has a presence in the Detroit area.
I have never been inside of St. Stanislaus (being inside a once-Catholic Church that is now owned by Baptists gives me the creeps) but the outside is in rough shape. There are windows busted out, other windows were removed to prevent vadalism I think, and for some reason the bell towers have a gutted-look to them. Then, when you go behind the church and look at the former rectory, the place is trashed. It's one of those buildings that is a stereotypical "Detroit" house.
The area surrounding St. Stanislaus as well as St. Hyacinth down there is, in my opinion, the scariest area of Detroit I have been in and I have been around it all to visit Detroit's Catholic churches.

With that said, it would be great if it could be bought and fixed up for the Traditional Mass. After all, that is what it was built for; it wasn't built for the Novus Ordo nor for the Baptists. St. Stanislaus was one of over 30 churches in the Archdiocese of Detroit closed in 1989, and in my opinion it was the most beautiful of all the churches that were lost that year.If it was bought and fixed up, it would be great if the renovation could stay as faithful to the original architecture as possible. I would love to be able to visit and see what it looked like when it closed in 1989. It would actually be better than in 1989, because the original OP is suggesting it be bought by a traditional community, so the view of the high altar wouldn't even be obstructed by the Novus Ordo altar in that case!

A picture of the outside can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60124357@N0...7400619574

A good picture of the inside after the Baptists changed it can be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/por_las_ven...192286649/

A dark, obscure picture of the inside after it closed but before the Baptists changed it can be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdaley752/356557062/

If anyone has a copy of the 2001 book "Make Straight the Path" by the Archdiocese of Detroit on its parishes you can find a very nice (if small) picture of the interior while the church was still open around page 30 or so. However, what looks to be ax excellent high altar is blocked from good view in the picture by the Novus Ordo one.
If you go to the blog Pertinacious Papist he lists all the diocesan approved TLM's every week.  St Josaphat's & Assumption are your best bets.  Assumption has a daily TLM.

There is no FSSP presence inthe state of Michigan.  I have checked repeatedly. 

The SSPX has a pretty good presence in Detroit, considering it was the first USA mission set up by Abp. Lefebvre.  They have a priory & a school.  Our chapel is served by that priory & Farther has a 4 to 5 hour drive to get here every weekend.
(01-09-2013, 12:56 PM)MaterLaeta Wrote: If you go to the blog Pertinacious Papist he lists all the diocesan approved TLM's every week.  St Josaphat's & Assumption are your best bets.  Assumption has a daily TLM.

The SSPX has a pretty good presence in Detroit, considering it was the first USA mission set up by Abp. Lefebvre.  They have a priory & a school.  Our chapel is served by that priory & Farther has a 4 to 5 hour drive to get here every weekend.

What Chapel do you attend?
(01-09-2013, 01:04 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote:
(01-09-2013, 12:56 PM)MaterLaeta Wrote: If you go to the blog Pertinacious Papist he lists all the diocesan approved TLM's every week.  St Josaphat's & Assumption are your best bets.  Assumption has a daily TLM.

What Chapel do you attend?

St Margaret Mary in Allendale, Michigan.  And only for First Fridays.
I have traveled through Detroit several times. I know that this parish does well and that they have a thriving school.

http://www.stjosephschurch.net/

The SSPX has no presence in Detroit proper. They are in the suburbs and in farm country...

The church located in the western suburb of Livonia MI has only been occupied within the last four or five years. Previously their chapel was on a street that borders the city, but they were forced out because of urban blight and crime. The priest was even mugged on Holy Saturday. Detroit is a mess!
I guess I usually count Detroit and its outlying suburbs as one big area.

I have never actually been there.

My bad. 

I DO know from watching the news that Detroit is one big screw up.  Can we vote to cut Detroit off fromthe rest of the state of Michigan?  They are our biggest tax drain.  LOL