Detroit opportunity for a Trad parish
Voris attends a Detroit area TLM...
(01-09-2013, 01:53 PM)OldMan Wrote:
(01-09-2013, 12:56 PM)MaterLaeta Wrote: If you go to the blog Pertinacious Papist he lists all the diocesan approved TLM's every week.  St Josaphat's & Assumption are your best bets.  Assumption has a daily TLM.

There is no FSSP presence inthe state of Michigan.  I have checked repeatedly. 

The SSPX has a pretty good presence in Detroit, considering it was the first USA mission set up by Abp. Lefebvre.  They have a priory & a school.  Our chapel is served by that priory & Farther has a 4 to 5 hour drive to get here every weekend.

The SSPX has no presence in Detroit proper. They are in the suburbs and in farm country...

The church located in the western suburb of Livonia MI has only been occupied within the last four or five years. Previously their chapel was on a street that borders the city, but they were forced out because of urban blight and crime. The priest was even mugged on Holy Saturday. Detroit is a mess!
Multiple priests and laity were mugged and hurt actually and the school was broken into twice. Ironically by the time we moved to Livonia a church was robbed there for the first time. This whole area is falling apart. I don't even want to outside anymore. I wish I could move to Kansas or somewhere
(01-09-2013, 04:24 PM)GodFirst Wrote:
(01-09-2013, 01:53 PM)OldMan Wrote:
(01-09-2013, 12:56 PM)MaterLaeta Wrote: If you go to the blog Pertinacious Papist he lists all the diocesan approved TLM's every week.  St Josaphat's & Assumption are your best bets.  Assumption has a daily TLM.

There is no FSSP presence inthe state of Michigan.  I have checked repeatedly. 

The SSPX has a pretty good presence in Detroit, considering it was the first USA mission set up by Abp. Lefebvre.  They have a priory & a school.  Our chapel is served by that priory & Farther has a 4 to 5 hour drive to get here every weekend.

Perhaps you'll run into Dorothy and Toto too!
The SSPX has no presence in Detroit proper. They are in the suburbs and in farm country...

The church located in the western suburb of Livonia MI has only been occupied within the last four or five years. Previously their chapel was on a street that borders the city, but they were forced out because of urban blight and crime. The priest was even mugged on Holy Saturday. Detroit is a mess!
Multiple priests and laity were mugged and hurt actually and the school was broken into twice. Ironically by the time we moved to Livonia a church was robbed there for the first time. This whole area is falling apart. I don't even want to outside anymore. I wish I could move to Kansas or somewhere
(01-09-2013, 11:09 AM)St. Pius of Trent Wrote: Folks, what's the Traditionalist situation in Detroit? SSPX, FSSP, ICKSP, etc.? This beautiful church just became available for a great price.

http://angelqueen.org/2013/01/09/you-can...for-79000/
There's possibly a group of people who would want to do such a thing. The biggest problem is getting a priest though. The archdiocese chancellery is so anti-tradition that they've gotten Archbishop Vigneron to continue to not allow the Fraternity or Institute here at all. In fact the FSSP put one of their unwanted seminarians on us at St. Josaphat's.
Yes, the Detroit area in general is a mess and the closer you get to the city itself the worse it gets. It's like a huge run down dreary wasteland of abandoned indusrial parks and rotting vacant factories mixed with some of the worst poverty and destitution I've ever seen in any area of the US. So I hear even Assumption Grotto is in a pretty rough area. Livonia is getting bad now too? My aunt lives there and it was always an ugly mess of strip malls but I never sw it as dangerous but I guess the rot of the city and the bad economy is driving the crime to the suburbs now too.
(01-09-2013, 09:48 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Yes, the Detroit area in general is a mess and the closer you get to the city itself the worse it gets. It's like a huge run down dreary wasteland of abandoned indusrial parks and rotting vacant factories mixed with some of the worst poverty and destitution I've ever seen in any area of the US. So I hear even Assumption Grotto is in a pretty rough area. Livonia is getting bad now too? My aunt lives there and it was always an ugly mess of strip malls but I never sw it as dangerous but I guess the rot of the city and the bad economy is driving the crime to the suburbs now too.

The SSPX Chapel in Livonia is in a good neighborhood.  I think she was referring to its old location in Redford.
(01-09-2013, 10:18 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote:
(01-09-2013, 09:48 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Yes, the Detroit area in general is a mess and the closer you get to the city itself the worse it gets. It's like a huge run down dreary wasteland of abandoned indusrial parks and rotting vacant factories mixed with some of the worst poverty and destitution I've ever seen in any area of the US. So I hear even Assumption Grotto is in a pretty rough area. Livonia is getting bad now too? My aunt lives there and it was always an ugly mess of strip malls but I never sw it as dangerous but I guess the rot of the city and the bad economy is driving the crime to the suburbs now too.

The SSPX Chapel in Livonia is in a good neighborhood.  I think she was referring to its old location in Redford.
Oh no, I was talking about Livonia. And I'm a he not a she. Andre said a church was robbed in Livonia for the first time not that long after we moved in.
(01-10-2013, 12:57 AM)GodFirst Wrote:

Oh no, I was talking about Livonia. And I'm a he not a she. Andre said a church was robbed in Livonia for the first time not that long after we moved in.

I am sorry.  I dont know why I thought you are female.  Bad assumtpion on my part.  Mea culpa...

I am surprised to heard about the Livonia location.  I grew up in Livonia and I have been to that Chapel for Mass.  I dont consider that a "bad" neighborhood. 

Either way...I will include that Chapel and its members in my prayers.

:pray:
(01-10-2013, 01:51 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote:
(01-10-2013, 12:57 AM)GodFirst Wrote:

I am sorry.  I dont know why I thought you are female.  Bad assumtpion on my part.  Mea culpa...

I am surprised to heard about the Livonia location.  I grew up in Livonia and I have been to that Chapel for Mass.  I dont consider that a "bad" neighborhood. 

Either way...I will include that Chapel and its members in my prayers.

:pray:
I don't think it's a bad neighborhood but it's close to some like westland and it could go that way.