Paul VI's mom's masonic tomb
Mainline, recognized freemasonry is for men only.  As stated, there are some separate but related organizations in which women only, or women and men, may be members.  But blue lodge through Shriners, and both of the routes between them (York rite and Scottish rite) are for men only.  Period.
There are co-freemason groups which allow women members, but they aren't, I think, part of the mainstream FM groups. My husband's mother was, for awhile, a co-freemason. But most Theosophist leaders (men and women) in the old days were freemasons. Not so much anymore, thank goodness. Though most of my husband's immediate family (mother, stepfather, uncle, grandfather) were freemasons, he's never been interested in being one, fortunately.
(01-11-2013, 07:36 AM)Ambrose Bierce Wrote: FREEMASONS, n. An order with secret rites, grotesque ceremonies and fantastic costumes, which, originating in the reign of Charles II, among working artisans of London, has been joined successively by the dead of past centuries in unbroken retrogression until now it embraces all the generations of man on the hither side of Adam and is drumming up distinguished recruits among the pre-Creational inhabitants of Chaos and Formless Void. The order was founded at different times by Charlemagne, Julius Caesar, Cyrus, Solomon, Zoroaster, Confucious, Thothmes, and Buddha. Its emblems and symbols have been found in the Catacombs of Paris and Rome, on the stones of the Parthenon and the Chinese Great Wall, among the temples of Karnak and Palmyra and in the Egyptian Pyramids—always by a Freemason.

-- The Devil's Dictionary

Or, nowadays, members of the SSPX.
(01-11-2013, 04:43 AM)maso Wrote:
(01-10-2013, 10:56 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: Women cannot be Free Masons

You are wrong: There are specific masonic lodges reserved for women.

Since your username is two letters short of the real thing, I must give you the floor.  :grin:

But I disagree with you. Orthodox freemasonry prohibits women. Unless you are referencing modernist masons.
(01-11-2013, 10:37 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:
(01-11-2013, 04:43 AM)maso Wrote:
(01-10-2013, 10:56 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: Women cannot be Free Masons

You are wrong: There are specific masonic lodges reserved for women.

Since your username is two letters short of the real thing, I must give you the floor.  :grin:

But I disagree with you. Orthodox freemasonry prohibits women. Unless you are referencing modernist masons.

Which are the bigger threat: traditional Masons or Modernist Masons?
this thread is absurd.
(01-11-2013, 10:49 PM)DrBombay Wrote: this thread is absurd.
The entire thing?
(01-12-2013, 03:10 AM)Geremia Wrote:
The entire thing?
i'd say so, and that includes even this very reply and bombay saying it's absurd.

first time I've ever seen a dead pope's mother demonized
:shrug:

(01-12-2013, 03:10 AM)Geremia Wrote:
The entire thing?

Well, mostly the thread has been less absurd than the allegations in the original post.  This whole kerfluffle is a joke.