Catholic periodicals
(01-14-2013, 10:35 PM)paul11b Wrote: Ok so I've kind of been researching since you guys have responded and I think I have it narrowed down to the Remnant and the New Oxford Review. Is there anyone who can kind of explain the pros and cons of each? I just don't want to spend money on something that I end up regretting. I did order the free copy of the Remnant that they offer on their website though! I'm looking forward to getting that.

The best parts for me of The New Oxford Review are the letters section, the editorial comments, and the book reviews.  Along with its usual articles and essays, NOR has ongoing series; the current series is classic works of literature reviewed in a Catholic context.  It provide free subscriptions to and advocacy through its letters section for prisoners who often have no access to Catholic materials or priests.

The only real criticism I've read about NOR is that it's lost a lot of its combativeness for which it was known during the 80 and 90s due to the retirement of its founding editor and his son taking over.  I only stated subscribing since the son took over as editor, so I cannot say, but to me it has never seemed lukewarm or willing to compromise.
The Remnant and CFN are a litte repetative after a while. Thing is, until the higher ups in The Church realize what they are repeating is right, it's really worth repeating. But not all things they have are repetative. Those guys ae the big guys for me. I'd subscribe to them, if I were you.