Where CAF Gets it Wrong
:pray:
(01-28-2013, 11:05 AM)SMKMI Wrote: I read this this morning in my random perusal of CAF, etc. and I was shocked and not shocked at all!

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?s=9c6b3be5d9ce555eb0f8d25dc720beb8&t=749115

Quote:Posted by: srdxfit
My Parish Priest removed our picture of Mary and the votive candles that were in place for prayer and veneration. I recently asked if he had ever considered giving a Primer in Marian Theology to our parish. He seemed almost insulted. he actually said that Mary was only an incubator!!!!! He firmly said that he was a "Priest of the Trinity ONLY" and that Jesus was the ONLY mediator. Period. End of discussion. I was shocked, especially since our Parish is in the heart of the California Missions! I don't understand how a Catholic priest can be ordained that has this view of the Mother of God! His position seems Protestant to me! Is his position heretical or is this a pastoral problem or both.

Concerned in California!

Quote:Posted by JReducation

That little bit that you shared is not heresy, but it's walking a very fine line.[?!?!?!] One would have to ask what dogmas about Mary he accepts. One does not have to accept that which is not dogmatic. But the dogma has to be accepted and taught.

Even more important that his statement about Mary is his statement about the ministerial priesthood. That one is very incomplete.

Are sure that you heard him correctly or that he's not going through something?

The parish priest in question, IF he actually said that and it's not some person just spouting off, IS saying heresy.

An "incubator"?

I can think of no charitable, devoted analogy which includes calling Our Lady an "incubator", much less "only".

It is in fact heresy because it's a reduction of the Immaculate Conception and worse it's blatant disrespect to Our Mother and is a violation of the 4th Commandment par excellence (if violating a Commandment can even have that froggy term applied to it!). Fine line my ass. NO ONE who says such a thing can possibly believe the defined Dogmas of Our Lady, unless that person were so poorly formed in the Faith that one must question everything about this priest's entire seminary formation and, gosh, his damn supposed catechesis as a kid.

It causes scandal, as seen in the OP.

The priest's actions are quasi-iconoclasm, and the path he took to rid the parish of the devotional station to Our Lady reads "Hell 666 miles".

JREducation's reply is not charity, it's stupidity run amok in the name of charity.

If a priest is "going through something" his first course of action is not to remove Our Lady in some degree, but to run to her, indeed, to seek her out in prayer.

If the priest wants to play the Protestant game, I think he should play the version of "WWJD?" and go look at a picture of mom. After all, she is the Immaculate Conception.

Incubator... crikey.
I was on CAF for a few years when came back to the Church, and lasted a short while after finding Tradition. EDucation is one of the names I remember as driving me nuts before I finally got out for good.

It wasn't a friendly departure - I left in disgust as modernism and blatantly modernist posters were protected and defended by the mods. That's a long story in itself - don't even want to go there.
Although I avoid the so-called traditional section of CAF, I do post in the non-Catholic religions section. I find that non-Catholics are more sincere than those Catholics in the traditional section who, though they have no love or affinity for the TLM, are still obsessed with correcting Traditional Catholics, and keeping them from showing how much they love the TLM. I don't get why they seem to devote much of their life in this pursuit.
(01-28-2013, 02:50 PM)DustinsDad Wrote:
(01-28-2013, 11:05 AM)SMKMI Wrote: I read this this morning in my random perusal of CAF, etc. and I was shocked and not shocked at all!

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?s=9c6b3be5d9ce555eb0f8d25dc720beb8&t=749115

Quote:Posted by: srdxfit
My Parish Priest removed our picture of Mary and the votive candles that were in place for prayer and veneration. I recently asked if he had ever considered giving a Primer in Marian Theology to our parish. He seemed almost insulted. he actually said that Mary was only an incubator!!!!! He firmly said that he was a "Priest of the Trinity ONLY" and that Jesus was the ONLY mediator. Period. End of discussion. I was shocked, especially since our Parish is in the heart of the California Missions! I don't understand how a Catholic priest can be ordained that has this view of the Mother of God! His position seems Protestant to me! Is his position heretical or is this a pastoral problem or both.

Concerned in California!

Quote:Posted by JReducation

That little bit that you shared is not heresy, but it's walking a very fine line.[?!?!?!] One would have to ask what dogmas about Mary he accepts. One does not have to accept that which is not dogmatic. But the dogma has to be accepted and taught.

Even more important that his statement about Mary is his statement about the ministerial priesthood. That one is very incomplete.

Are sure that you heard him correctly or that he's not going through something?

The parish priest in question, IF he actually said that and it's not some person just spouting off, IS saying heresy.

An "incubator"?

I can think of no charitable, devoted analogy which includes calling Our Lady an "incubator", much less "only".

It is in fact heresy because it's a reduction of the Immaculate Conception and worse it's blatant disrespect to Our Mother and is a violation of the 4th Commandment par excellence (if violating a Commandment can even have that froggy term applied to it!). Fine line my ass. NO ONE who says such a thing can possibly believe the defined Dogmas of Our Lady, unless that person were so poorly formed in the Faith that one must question everything about this priest's entire seminary formation and, gosh, his damn supposed catechesis as a kid.

It causes scandal, as seen in the OP.

The priest's actions are quasi-iconoclasm, and the path he took to rid the parish of the devotional station to Our Lady reads "Hell 666 miles".

JREducation's reply is not charity, it's stupidity run amok in the name of charity.

If a priest is "going through something" his first course of action is not to remove Our Lady in some degree, but to run to her, indeed, to seek her out in prayer.

If the priest wants to play the Protestant game, I think he should play the version of "WWJD?" and go look at a picture of mom. After all, she is the Immaculate Conception.

Incubator... crikey.
I was on CAF for a few years when came back to the Church, and lasted a short while after finding Tradition. EDucation is one of the names I remember as driving me nuts before I finally got out for good.

It wasn't a friendly departure - I left in disgust as modernism and blatantly modernist posters were protected and defended by the mods. That's a long story in itself - don't even want to go there.
Sounds familiar, Br Jr used to drive me nuts.
Brother JR drove me nuts, too!

I believe what he does is commonly referred to as verbal gymnastics.
(01-28-2013, 06:12 PM)The Curt Jester Wrote: Brother JR drove me nuts, too!

I believe what he does is commonly referred to as verbal gymnastics.

I think he drives everyone nuts unfortunately.
Quote:

"I think he drives everyone nuts, unfortunately."

Hey, at least we agree on something, TrentCath.  :grin:
(01-28-2013, 07:40 PM)Meg Wrote: Quote:

"I think he drives everyone nuts, unfortunately."

Hey, at least we agree on something, TrentCath.  :grin:

:LOL: :grin:
Have you seen this thread? http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=708888 what sentimental and worse untrue rubbish
It shows what you can get away with if you're nice about it.  :LOL: