Priest caught selling meth
(01-18-2013, 06:59 PM)Allan Wrote: Not to get on topic or anything, but if anyone bothers to read the actual article, you'd see the priest was put on sabbatical in Julu 2011 and his faculties were suspended last May.  Calling him a "priest" at the time of his arrest is technically correct, given our advanced understanding about the permanent ontological effects of the Sacrament of Holy Orders - but in media, common parlance this is like saying a teacher who hasn't taught anything in over a year, and lost their teacher's license almost a year ago, is a "teacher arrested for meth dealing".

Typical media anti-Catholic bias.  Just wanted to put "priest", "meth" and "arrested" in the same headline....

Very good, Allen.  :)
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(01-18-2013, 12:29 AM)Walty Wrote: Just be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water, Doc.  Bad apples are not traddom.

I don't know if pseudo-Bombay is bad or good, or what the intent was in appropriating my name.  Meh, it's not like I've got a copyright claim on the name Dr. Bombay.  It's the internet.  We shouldn't take it too seriously.

There will be no baby throwing, unless he starts extorting money out of folks.  Then I, of course, will demand a cut.  It's only fair since I did build the brand after all.
(01-17-2013, 10:57 PM)DrBombay Wrote: I can't read these stories anymore.  I don't see how you guys can.  Not saying you're doing something bad, but at some point it stops helping me grow spiritually.  I mean, yes, reading about priests misusing funds, committing deviant sex acts and getting arrested is uplifting, but it wears on me after awhile.

Presumably the Msgr didn't speak enough Latin.  That must be it.

If you didn't like Velveeta I'd really be starting to worry about you, doctor.  If cross-dressing priests doesn't warm one's heart, I don't know what will.
This priest was Bishop Egan's secretary way back when.  We all wondered when he was given the choice position of being pastor of the cathedral.  I had big problems with him when he would write reviews of Broadway shows for the diocesan paper.  We're not talking Mary Poppins here...he would give glowing reviews to plays like "Chicago" saying it was "Broadway at its gritty best."  I don't have a problem with someone going to see such shows, if they can handle it..but writing a review praising it for the Catholic paper?

Bishop Lori, now of Baltimore, must've have known something about this guy, too.

Christina
(01-19-2013, 11:21 AM)introibo Wrote: This priest was Bishop Egan's secretary way back when.  We all wondered when he was given the choice position of being pastor of the cathedral.  I had big problems with him when he would write reviews of Broadway shows for the diocesan paper.  We're not talking Mary Poppins here...he would give glowing reviews to plays like "Chicago" saying it was "Broadway at its gritty best."  I don't have a problem with someone going to see such shows, if they can handle it..but writing a review praising it for the Catholic paper?

Bishop Lori, now of Baltimore, must've have known something about this guy, too.

Christina

There was a priest who was persecuted by the late Michael Jude Faye in this diocese who years ago complained about "rectory parties."

Funny how Egan always had the time to persecute good priests no matter where he went yet couldn't figure out what was going on under his nose for years. This is the same Egan who took back his apology to victims of clerical abuse and their families, remember. The behavior patterns all line up.
(01-17-2013, 04:43 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: I miss the good ol' days when clergymen only sold indulgences and church offices.
You are old.
(01-18-2013, 08:01 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(01-18-2013, 12:29 AM)Walty Wrote: Just be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water, Doc.  Bad apples are not traddom.

I don't know if pseudo-Bombay is bad or good, or what the intent was in appropriating my name.  Meh, it's not like I've got a copyright claim on the name Dr. Bombay.  It's the internet.  We shouldn't take it too seriously.

There will be no baby throwing, unless he starts extorting money out of folks.  Then I, of course, will demand a cut.  It's only fair since I did build the brand after all.

You have a case in court if he uses the  :bronxcheer: