Pursuit of Holiness on the Internet
For what it's worth I find myself having to keep going over the basics. Confession, Mass, rosaries, prayer life, novenas, some type of reading from the bible or Saints or catechism, watching Catholic programming or listening to radio shows, helping others like my Dad relearn some basics of Catholic faith and try to use logic to help him see the truth even if he doesn't want to live that way because its too hard and always show him the opportunity we have as Catholics to choose to live it, etc. I am not a cloistered nun so the path to holiness will be different. I am a young mother who grew up in NO church at limited times- sacraments and Easter/Christmas. The basics, trying to figure out what traditions to pass to my family to make the faith alive and real to them. I enjoy learning above actual readiness or reality to put some things into action.

My goal this year is to make the total consecration to Jesus through Mary.

My constant spiritual and holiness struggle is with Mass attendance due to the tlm being a drive for me, not wanting to attend the NO, and the tlm by SSPX is closer but I am still soul searching that option. So when attendance is down so is Confession and the guilt gets me down so prayer life reduces and that's when I try to see a movie like The Messenger: Story of Joan of Arc, or for some reason I dream about going to confession or praying, or my Dad asks a religious question, or I say a simple prayer Blessed Mother Mary, help me to get back on track or for some reason I think about St. Terese. Oh and I ask my guardian Angel for help and all these things sparks me to get with the program. But it takes time and I have to check my free will often. Basically it comes down to I you don't want to attend Mass at xyz then get ur butt to the one you will attend.

I am a practicing Catholic that needs practice :)
I find that fisheaters encourages me towards holiness.  I think it's just natural that sometimes "encouragement" bears a striking resemblance to "contrariness".
(01-18-2013, 02:44 PM)Servus Immaculatae Wrote:
(01-18-2013, 01:18 PM)Tim Wrote: I blame the writers ! I mean we have those that write on perfecting ways of praying the rosary. What gets lost is it is better to say a sloppy mind wandering rosary than to not. It appears in Tradom the perfect is the enemy of the good. Being a less than liberally educated guy, I have different troubles. My Latin is like first year HS'er. So meditation during the Office ain't happening, and that's what the Office should be prayer not navel gazing. I have a time keeping to understanding what I'm reciting. This is a blessing par excellance directly from God Almighty. The thing is God is listening and if you ask He sends the Holy Ghost, and that doesn't mean we become like the notion of holiness we have in our mind, but what He sees best for us. It's in the doing.

The other writers which spin too much are hagiographers. Do you believe all the saints went around in some state of semi-ecstasy with eyes pointed up ward, mumbling stuff , toes never touching earth? No, they had to work ! When St. Francis finally got to the HOLY Land he explained to the Crusaders laying siege what they were doing wrong, and if they used his approach they'd kill more Mohammedans. That's before he challenged the Imans to walk through a fire. None would take the challenge and the Sultan was very impressed but didn't convert. Not exactly as he is protrayed ? Hmm ?

The last thing is we especially here on the net can not tell who is holy. I'm sure there are folks here that according to their state in life are doing way good. To sum it's in the doing, and the Holy Ghost will work to make you holy right where you are. Last is do not let the perfect prevent you from starting the good.

So much for tim's evangelization,

tim

Oh, and Mother Angelica said she thought these writers got long sentences in Purgatory for making it too hard.

Tim, I think you misinterpreted my reference to the Seraphic Father.

First, the quote that I used is from St Bonaventure, Doctor of the Universal Church, when the Franciscan General Chapter ordered him to write an authoritative biography on St Francis. Not some modern "author" who is telling us our prayer has to be perfect, and if it's not we should just give up or anything like that. I highly doubt Mother Angelica was referring to St Bonaventure's seminal work when she made that comment.

Second, I was trying to use it to make the same point you are: that holiness can only come as a gift from God, through perseverance in prayer and devotion. What I was saying is that I don't know how that could possibly be "taught" or "shared" on an internet forum, but I agree we should strive to make our online conversation lead us towards a life of prayer as much as possible.

My fault. I wasn't launching on what you had written at all. My mind flies, when I get on a subject. Sorry for appearing to take your comment on, I didn't launch fom there.The St. Francis remark just came to my mind while writing and I inserted that story as I thought it would help make the point I was writing.

I'm sorry,
tim
(01-18-2013, 11:49 AM)JayneK Wrote: I cannot claim to be a holy person...

That's because holiness is inversely related to post count.  :)
(01-18-2013, 04:53 PM)The Curt Jester Wrote:
(01-18-2013, 11:49 AM)JayneK Wrote: I cannot claim to be a holy person...

That's because holiness is inversely related to post count.   :)

Well, that is the conclusion people would come to if they looked at me.  :)
(01-18-2013, 12:22 PM)iona_scribe Wrote: Maybe we'd benefit from a "Spiritual Life & Devotions" subsection? Sometimes I have questions about prayer, but it's not specifically about the Office, and it seems out of place among the more general topics in the "Apologetics and Questions about Traditional Catholicism" section.

That is an intriguing thought.  I wonder if it would make a difference.
(01-18-2013, 06:01 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(01-18-2013, 12:22 PM)iona_scribe Wrote: Maybe we'd benefit from a "Spiritual Life & Devotions" subsection? Sometimes I have questions about prayer, but it's not specifically about the Office, and it seems out of place among the more general topics in the "Apologetics and Questions about Traditional Catholicism" section.

Segregating the pursuit of holiness and living virtuously from the "rest" of something is a mistake. This should pervade everything.

(01-18-2013, 06:07 PM)Rosarium Wrote:

Segregating the pursuit of holiness and living virtuously from the "rest" of something is a mistake. This should pervade everything.

I thought of that after I posted; that is certainly a danger. You're right that ideally we should all just take responsibility for increasing the quality of threads and leaven the entire forum.

My concern is that helpful threads about the spiritual life tend to get drowned out by pants wars and such because they have nowhere to be collected and visible.  These things should be at the forefront of our thoughts and conversations as Catholics, but so often they feel like extras or things we take for granted.  But others have said that this is the nature of a forum, so it may be that there's nothing to do except on a personal level.
(01-18-2013, 06:07 PM)Rosarium Wrote:

Of course living with holiness and virtue shouldn't be segregated.  But there can be separate places  (books, forums) for learning these things and focusing directly on them.  God's grace can then help one can apply what is learned throughout life.  Maybe a special forum like this would improve the quality of fisheaters as a whole.
(01-19-2013, 12:04 AM)Doce Me Wrote: Of course living with holiness and virtue shouldn't be segregated.  But there can be separate places  (books, forums) for learning these things and focusing directly on them.  God's grace can then help one can apply what is learned throughout life.  Maybe a special forum like this would improve the quality of fisheaters as a whole.

It wouldn't get any posts. I'd bet money if I were a betting man.

We had something similar before.