No More Communion in the Hand!

About once a week my sister goes to a daily mass with her children at Holy Trinity Catholic church in Utica, ny. The church is very old and very big and beautiful.

About a month ago her 6 year old daughter was under the pew and popped up and told her mom that Jesus was under the seat! Sure enough, someone had stuck a couple of hosts to the underside of the pew. My sister told the priest after mass and he told her he would take care of it.

A week later they go back and sit in there usual place. After mass she checked the pew and parts of the host are still stuck. My sister scraped off what she could with her pocket knife and took the particles to the priest who was in a hurry to leave. He told her she was wrong. That it wasn't the host. She said she was sure it was ,as she was talking to him he said just wash it down the sink and he left. After searching around she and another parishioner found the sink but it was locked with a cover. My sister was beside herself and didn't know what else to do. She consumed the particles!

A couple days ago they went to daily mass there and sat in a different section of the church. Her daughter looked under the pew and found more hosts. After mass her girls searched around and found three other areas where the Blessed Sacrament was stuck. Fortunately there was a different priest there who took the situation more seriously. He disposed of the hosts in the proper sink and used a cloth wet with holy water to remove the stuck on particles. She didn't have time to search the whole church that day. It's a very big church. I'll go with her sometime and we'll do a thorough check to make sure none were missed.

Because of terrible abuses like this happening in our churches; Isn't it time to put an end to communion in the hand? And how can we make this much needed change happen?
(02-07-2013, 06:24 PM)quo warranto Wrote: And how can we make this much needed change happen?

It's up to the USCCB. We can pray. And we can set an example by never receiving in the hand.
(02-07-2013, 06:51 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote: It's up to the USCCB. We can pray. And we can set an example by never receiving in the hand.

Catholic bishops don't have to wait for the USCCB. A Bishop can remove the indult for Communion in the Hand for his individual diocese. The Cardinal in Lima, Peru did that for his Archdiocese.

Write to your bishop about what happened and ask him to ban Communion in the Hand.

Try to get as many as Catholics as possible to abandon Communion in the Hand and receive only on the tongue. The following website is a great resource against Communion in the Hand. It has many articles, Church documents, quotes, and videos:

http://communion-in-the-hand.org/index.html

(02-07-2013, 07:10 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: Catholic bishops don't have to wait for the USCCB. A Bishop can remove the indult for Communion in the Hand for his individual diocese.

I didn't know that. Thanks.  And thank you for the website link, it looks like a good resource.
We can always go medieval and dispense with pews altogether.

Just kidding; my back and knees hurt just thinking about it. Well, I would probably do just fine after a little adjustment, but trying to keep my three year-old in place would be far more painful...
(02-07-2013, 08:18 PM)Antonius Josephus Wrote: We can always go medieval and dispense with pews altogether.

Just kidding; my back and knees hurt just thinking about it. Well, I would probably do just fine after a little adjustment, but trying to keep my three year-old in place would be far more painful...

Going back this far, wasn't communion of the faithful only administered well after Mass was over?
(02-07-2013, 07:10 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: Catholic bishops don't have to wait for the USCCB. A Bishop can remove the indult for Communion in the Hand for his individual diocese. The Cardinal in Lima, Peru did that for his Archdiocese.

Before you select your stationery, find out whether he prefers Cottonelle or Charmin because that's all he's going to do with your letter.  Incidents like this make me wonder whether these priests even believe in the Real Presence.
What a nightmare.  :pray2:
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(02-07-2013, 08:41 PM)OHCA Wrote: find out whether he prefers Cottonelle or Charmin

Tee-he-he

:LOL:

Bazinga  :groucho:
You might want to gather a few friends that are Catholic and knowing the time the serious priest is there, check the entire Church and show him what you've found. This is more than accidental. How could all of the different people stash Our Lord in the very place under the pew seat.

tim