No More Communion in the Hand!
(02-08-2013, 01:48 AM)JuniorCouncilor Wrote: No. The Eucharist has always been the focus of the liturgy.

As in, the administration of Holy Communion?  I don't think that's true.  The Sacrifice was the main focus.  The Consecration.  Holy Communion flows from that and logically completes it, but it isn't THE focus.  There were lots of Masses, even public ones, where no one went to communion.  There still are, though with daily communion it's more rare-- I'm thinking of the Christmas and Easter Masses, where if you've already received, you are not to receive again.
[/quote]
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
As a daily Mass attendee from 1949-1969, I can attest to the fact that the Sacrifice was the main focus..........that the God/man's [b]love for us is so great[/b], that He allowed Himself to be beaten, humiliated, crowned with thorns, stripped of His garments in front of His Mother & Apostles & finally murdered in a horrible, degrading  way. The Protestants, of course did not like His suffering discussed in their services. You will notice that, in their Churches there are no Crucifixes, no Corpus upon their crosses. One may see one of the risen Christ, but never as the suffering savior.

This very awareness of the high price He paid may have been what caused us to search our consciences for sins & offences & feel the need for confession before receiving. I'm not sure, but this I know........not everyone received the Eucharist at every Mass & the Churches were so packed that no one paid any attention to who received & who didn't.. After all, their reason for staying in the pew could have been that they accidentally broke their fast. NOONE took a chance of receiving unworthily & the state of another's soul was none of our business.

Today, sin has been so downplayed, the Body of Christ has become just another "everyday thing", that EXTRAordinary Eucharistic Ministers are commonplace, the NO Mass so boring &
banal,so "congregation oriented", that everyone receives the Eucharist without much thought to the state of their souls. After all, if they don't receive, their neighbors might think they have committed a mortal sin. I think that this is the reason for the hidden hosts. As long as one goes forward to receive, the "all-important congregation" might think that they have committed a mortal sin. Some go forward, though they have committed grievous acts against God & their fellow man, then hide the host. It's easy to do since they have received their Savior in their hand.
:pray:

Quote:With that most profound respect
which divine Faith inspires,
O my God and Saviour Jesus Christ,
true God and true man,
I adore Thee,
and with my whole heart I love Thee,
hidden in the most august Sacrament of the Altar,
in reparation of all the irreverences,
profanations, and sacrileges, that I,
to my shame, may have until now committed,
as also for all those
that have been committed against Thee,
or that may be ever committed for the time to come.
I offer to Thee,
therefore, O my God,
my humble adoration, not indeed,
such as Thou art worthy of,
nor such as I owe Thee,
but such, at least,
as I am capable of offerings;
and I wish that I could love Thee
with the most perfect love
of which rational creatures are capable.
In the meantime,
I desire to adore Thee now and always,
not only for those Catholics
who do not adore or love Thee,
but also so supply the defect,
and for the conversion of all heretics,
schismatics, lebertines,
atheists, blasphemers,
sorcerers, Mahomedans,
Jews, and idolaters.
Ah! yes, my Jesus,
mayest Thou be known,
adored, and loved by all
and may thanks be continually given to Thee
in the most holy and august Sacrament!
(02-08-2013, 11:37 AM)JoniCath Wrote:
(02-08-2013, 01:48 AM)JuniorCouncilor Wrote: No. The Eucharist has always been the focus of the liturgy.

As in, the administration of Holy Communion?  I don't think that's true.  The Sacrifice was the main focus.  The Consecration.  Holy Communion flows from that and logically completes it, but it isn't THE focus.  There were lots of Masses, even public ones, where no one went to communion.  There still are, though with daily communion it's more rare-- I'm thinking of the Christmas and Easter Masses, where if you've already received, you are not to receive again.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
As a daily Mass attendee from 1949-1969, I can attest to the fact that the Sacrifice was the main focus..........that the God/man's [b]love for us is so great[/b], that He allowed Himself to be beaten, humiliated, crowned with thorns, stripped of His garments in front of His Mother & Apostles & finally murdered in a horrible, degrading  way. The Protestants, of course did not like His suffering discussed in their services. You will notice that, in their Churches there are no Crucifixes, no Corpus upon their crosses. One may see one of the risen Christ, but never as the suffering savior.

This very awareness of the high price He paid may have been what caused us to search our consciences for sins & offences & feel the need for confession before receiving. I'm not sure, but this I know........not everyone received the Eucharist at every Mass & the Churches were so packed that no one paid any attention to who received & who didn't.. After all, their reason for staying in the pew could have been that they accidentally broke their fast. NOONE took a chance of receiving unworthily & the state of another's soul was none of our business.

Today, sin has been so downplayed, the Body of Christ has become just another "everyday thing", that EXTRAordinary Eucharistic Ministers are commonplace, the NO Mass so boring &
banal,so "congregation oriented", that everyone receives the Eucharist without much thought to the state of their souls. After all, if they don't receive, their neighbors might think they have committed a mortal sin. I think that this is the reason for the hidden hosts. As long as one goes forward to receive, the "all-important congregation" might think that they have committed a mortal sin. Some go forward, though they[b] have committed grievous acts against God & their fellow man, then hide the host. It's easy to do since they have received their Savior in their hand. [/b]
[/quote]
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sorry, the sentence I've emboldened should have read: As long as one goes forward to receive, the
"all important congregation" will assume that they are in a state of grace.
(02-07-2013, 06:24 PM)quo warranto Wrote: About once a week my sister goes to a daily mass with her children at Holy Trinity Catholic church in Utica, ny. The church is very old and very big and beautiful.

About a month ago her 6 year old daughter was under the pew and popped up and told her mom that Jesus was under the seat! Sure enough, someone had stuck a couple of hosts to the underside of the pew. My sister told the priest after mass and he told her he would take care of it.

A week later they go back and sit in there usual place. After mass she checked the pew and parts of the host are still stuck. My sister scraped off what she could with her pocket knife and took the particles to the priest who was in a hurry to leave. He told her she was wrong. That it wasn't the host. She said she was sure it was ,as she was talking to him he said just wash it down the sink and he left. After searching around she and another parishioner found the sink but it was locked with a cover. My sister was beside herself and didn't know what else to do. She consumed the particles!

A couple days ago they went to daily mass there and sat in a different section of the church. Her daughter looked under the pew and found more hosts. After mass her girls searched around and found three other areas where the Blessed Sacrament was stuck. Fortunately there was a different priest there who took the situation more seriously. He disposed of the hosts in the proper sink and used a cloth wet with holy water to remove the stuck on particles. She didn't have time to search the whole church that day. It's a very big church. I'll go with her sometime and we'll do a thorough check to make sure none were missed.

Because of terrible abuses like this happening in our churches; Isn't it time to put an end to communion in the hand? And how can we make this much needed change happen?

Me-thinks this is a troll.  It is too unbelievable.  ???
(02-08-2013, 09:06 AM)Tim Wrote: Communion of the People is not part of the TLM, it is seperate. St. PopePius X started the frequent Communion and lower the age of First Communion. HK can give the history of this.  I don't think it was a good idea all the way round. Just my opinion but familiarity breeds contempt or stuff like this.

tim

Didn't Trent encourage frequent reception of the sacrament to counteract the rarity of Communion in Protestant churches?
(02-08-2013, 05:16 PM)onosurf Wrote: Me-thinks this is a troll.  It is too unbelievable.   ???

I don't think so; that's just your inner paranoia trying to claw its way out . . .  :smokin:
The thought did cross my mind as well, but then considered the subject. What would be the purpose of going on a trad forum to get them to talk about CITH? It's de facto we would be against it, and have practical solutions to it. You don't even have to be trad to be against CITH, so it wouldn't make us look like raging zealot's. When I read the description of what was happening, I was utterly horrified and maybe just don't want something so awful to be true but...Virgil is probably right.
Quote: After all, if they don't receive, their neighbors might think they have committed a mortal sin. I think that this is the reason for the hidden hosts.

Sticking a Host under a pew like a wad of gum so no one will think you didn't receive because of mortal sin is like murdering your wife because everyone will think you cheated on her if she divorces you.
Are you serious?!  ??? I wish this wasn't true but it's happening. I hope and pray we won't find more when we go back but the apathy my sister received from that priest makes me believe otherwise.

I was shocked at first as well but doesn't it make sense? These are the fruits of  receiving in the hand; abuse.
(02-08-2013, 05:09 PM)JoniCath Wrote:
JuniorCouncilor Wrote:
Azurestone Wrote:No. The Eucharist has always been the focus of the liturgy.

banal,so "congregation oriented", that everyone receives the Eucharist without much thought to the state of their souls. After all, if they don't receive, their neighbors might think they have committed a mortal sin. I think that this is the reason for the hidden hosts. As long as one goes forward to receive, the "all-important congregation" might think that they have committed a mortal sin. Some go forward, though they[b] have committed grievous acts against God & their fellow man, then hide the host. It's easy to do since they have received their Savior in their hand. [/b]
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sorry, the sentence I've emboldened should have read: As long as one goes forward to receive, the
"all important congregation" will assume that they are in a state of grace.

[/quote]

This is a great post; thanks very much for making it.  I especially like your last point.

One thing bothered me, though-- the formatting made it look like I was the one who said "Communion was always the highlight of Mass"-- I was not the one who said that; rather, I responded to it.  Otherwise, as I said, great post.