No More Communion in the Hand!
(02-10-2013, 06:02 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(02-10-2013, 09:46 AM)City Smurf Wrote: So... If a priest cracks a joke in his homily... He's denying the Real Presence of Our Lord and thus his Mass is invalid...

Okay... Then... Makes... Sense?

Boy, they'd have problems with some of the Masses I heard before the Council! :LOL: Fr O'Shea, a priest ordained on the Ould Sod in, I would guess the late 20s or early 30s, was famous for cracking jokes to emphasise points in his solidly orthodox sermons. :)

Or a certain Fr. Cizadlo that "thought" he was funny and would make us groan at his attempts at humor, but was also solidly orthodox. Right now I can see him clearly in his 1959 Bel Air station wagon that was sort of coppertone and cream. RIP, Padre.

tim
(02-10-2013, 03:45 PM)verenaerin Wrote: OK, thanks for taking the time to explain. It's like you are going down to your bunker till later, better times. While I don't agree with you, I certainly can understand the motives for your actions.

Like I said, I really appreciate your cordial response. :)

Thank you.  Please pray for me.

I had been to Mass at this independent chapel a couple of times before.  Today I met the priest after Mass.  It was a very pleasant experience.

I sincerely believe the Church is in a major crisis.  Please pray for me as I will for you and everyone else, both those who recognize and those who don't recognize, the situation we are in.
Quote:Yes, they received in the right hand, not the left. Today they tell us to make a cradle with our left hand to receive the Host. Another total about face.

If you're going to fixate about which hand He's in, note that if the host is "received" in the right hand, it must be picked up with the left hand.  And if the host is to be picked up with the right hand, it must be received in the left.  Fishing about with one's tongue, whilst this may have happened in ancients, would be unmitigated disaster, and all but comic, if anyone tried to reintroduce it today. 

I was taught as a little guy to make a throne for Christ with my hands.  Why would I make a throne, if I did not believe a King was coming to rest on them?
(02-10-2013, 10:04 PM)NihilNominis Wrote: Fishing about with one's tongue, whilst this may have happened in ancients, would be unmitigated disaster

This is how we are instructed to do it at my NO.  Father doesn’t care if it’s right hand over left or vice versa, so long as we make a Throne for Christ and raise it into our mouth without touching it with our fingers.  I am one of a handful however that receives on the tongue while kneeling.

I think the unmitigated disaster is CITH in general.  Folks jabbing their hands out as though they are entitled to something. When I meet Jesus I fully intend to beg for his mercy on my knees, not standing up like I am his peer with my hands out demanding my salvation that I erroneously think I am somehow entitled to because I am somehow special.  Communion is no different.  That is Jesus.  Get on your (the generic you) knees before the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords.  Every knee shall bow!
(02-10-2013, 10:37 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote: That is Jesus.  Get on your (the generic you) knees before the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords.  Every knee shall bow!

Amen, Brother! Amen!
(02-10-2013, 09:19 AM)OHCA Wrote:
(02-10-2013, 02:26 AM)charlesh Wrote: This is the surest sign that the priests at that church do not believe in transubstantiation. If they did, they would not have reacted with indifference. How do you know what people really believe? Ignore what they say; pay attention to what they do.

This is exactly right.  And if these priests don't believe in transubstantiation, that means their intent in concecration is lacking.  Right?  Which in turn means it really isn't the Real Presence, right?
no it still the real presence they just don't get it.

The general festive tone set by many priests in the novus ordo at least subtly indicates they don't believe in transubstantiation.  Today I am shaking the dust from my feet and going to Mass at an independent chapel I have visited a couple of times and I am praying for the resolve to not return to the diocesan TLM.
(02-10-2013, 12:38 PM)OHCA Wrote:
(02-10-2013, 11:00 AM)verenaerin Wrote: I am confused. How does what happened in the OP make you want to leave a diocesan TLM and go independent?

I'm not deciding based on this incident.  This incident merely coincides with my decision and is one more reason to doubt that some (I think many) priests even believe in the Real Presence.  But no--I am not so rash as to let this isolated incident play a major role in my decision.
This is not a new problem. They had it in Lanciano, where God worked a miracle of turning a host into flesh. 
(02-11-2013, 02:53 AM)Poche Wrote:
(02-10-2013, 12:38 PM)OHCA Wrote:
(02-10-2013, 11:00 AM)verenaerin Wrote: I am confused. How does what happened in the OP make you want to leave a diocesan TLM and go independent?

I'm not deciding based on this incident.  This incident merely coincides with my decision and is one more reason to doubt that some (I think many) priests even believe in the Real Presence.  But no--I am not so rash as to let this isolated incident play a major role in my decision.
This is not a new problem. They had it in Lanciano, where God worked a miracle of turning a host into flesh. 

I just googled Lanciano. I never heard of that before. Interesting.
I've been accepting Communion in the Mouth at the NO my family and I attend.  Of course, it helps when you have two toddlers holding your hands...  :)
(02-09-2013, 12:56 PM)NihilNominis Wrote: People found ways to steal and desecrate Hosts when distribution was on the tongue alone, often by drying out the mouth to prevent dissolution.  The problem here is not the mode of reception, but the piety and formation of the receiver.  I may be wrong, but weren't the hosts stolen from Brompton distributed on the tongue?

Your post has many excellent points which I'd like to comment on but I want to address this one first and separately.

People certainly did steal and desecrate the Host when receiving on the tongue was the only way to receive Communion.

Two or three years ago I read some fool's account of an evil "hobby" he had when he was growing up (well, at least growing older, i don't think he ever grew up) in the years before Vatican II.

After receiving Communion on the tongue, there being no other option then, he would quickly remove the Host from his mouth and pocket it.  He described his boyish glee in rushing from the sanctuary after Mass ended, when he would run to the bathroom, toss the Host in a toilet and use the Body of Our Lord for "target practice."

Reflect on that when you're tempted to think the world was perfect before Vatican II.

For a boy above the age of reason, as we know he had to be, to think such sacrilege was in any way humorous, is a sad reflection of what was happening in society before Vatican II.  Vatican II is not to blame for all our problems today, in the Church or in the secular world.

For an old man, and he had to be an old man now, to feel no shame over this disgusting act, but to enjoy telling his sick story, gloating over what he had done, is pathetic, shows how little his life has meant to him.  It is, of course, possible that his story was a lie from beginning to end, but that doesn't change the fact that he had and still has, if still living, a very sick sense of humour.  And we know from history that there have always been people who take pleasure in perverse actions.  Satan is always at work.