College of Cardinals
(02-11-2013, 08:27 AM)mcwhite Wrote: +Ranjith... please.

The Holy Ghost is of course in charge. I am in a state of shock and unexpected grief.

Cardinal Ranjith would be excellent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Ranjith
Quote:Archbishop Ranjith was appointed Secretary of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments on 10 December 2005. He has described the liturgical reforms inspired by the Second Vatican Council as "a mixed bag of results." While praising the use of vernacular languages, he also criticized the "quasi total abandonment" of Latin and the "acceptance of all kinds of 'novelties' resulting from a secularizing and humanistic theological and liturgical mindset overtaking the West." He has also lamented the "banalization and obscuring of the mystical and sacred aspects of the liturgy in many areas of the Church in the name of a so-called Konzilsgeist (spirit of the Council)."

Ranjith opposes the reception of Communion in the hand and standing, once saying, "I think it is high time to...abandon the current practice that was not called for by Sacrosanctum Concilium, nor by Fathers, but was only accepted after its illegitimate introduction in some countries."[1] A staunch supporter of the Tridentine Mass, Ranjith once said that bishops who opposed Summorum Pontificum were allowing themselves to be "used as instruments of the devil," accusing them of "disobedience...and even rebellion against the Pope."[2] He once said, "I'm not a fan of the Lefebvrians...but what they sometimes say about the liturgy they say for good reason."[3]

Archbishop Ranjith is fluent in ten languages; Italian, German, French, Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Spanish, English, Sinhala and Tamil. His ability to converse and understand the problems of the Catholic Church spread throughout the world and his commitment and dedication in the execution of the enormous responsibilities of the Universal Church on his shoulders has made him one of the most influential voices in the Vatican.

Looks like he even speaks in tongues for the charismatics.  :grin:

And he supported Bishop Athanasius Schneider's book Dominus est.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athanasius_Schneider
Quote:Bishop Schneider is well known for his defense of the traditional form of receiving Holy Communion (kneeling, on the tongue) in Catholic liturgy.[3] This is the theme of his book Dominus est,[4] published in Italian, and since translated into English, German, Estonian, Lithuanian, Polish and Hungarian. The book itself contains a foreword written by Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith, then the Secretary of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, the current Archbishop of Colombo and Metropolitan head of the church in Sri Lanka.
The liberal faction of the Cardinalate is weakened compared to the last Conclave. With Cardinal Martini no longer with them, and Cardinals Mahony and Danneels being involved in abuse scandals (remember Cardinal Danneels open pushing for his election before the last Conclave?), and other nearing or over retirement age. The only addition to that faction during the pontificate of Benedict XVI was the Cardinal of Manila.

There is a small faction with Traditional sympathies (Burke, Ranjith, Bagnasco,...) which did not exist in the last conclave, but does not have much influence. The only one with a chance in that group IMO is Cardinal Bagnasco, who is possibly the least Trad of them. Cardinal Ranjith will not have a snowman's chance in Hell, for which I partly blame the SSPX for loudly proclaiming what he had told them in confidence.

Other than that, I can't see much change compared to the last Conclave. The result will most likely be a "moderate" which will have the media cry bloody murder ("ultra conservative") and leave us Trads disappointed. I had really hoped Benedict would stay with us for a long time, even if I often did not agree with his decisions or could not understand his actions.