St Malachy
Too soon?
And here we go again with this stupid prophecy.
If it's ever going to be true, now's the time. I'm ambivalent - but every catholic loves a good mystery.
Yeah, it's so silly Cardinal Spellman hired a boat and filled it with sheep and sailed up and down the Tiber before the Conclave.

tim
I bet the next pope will be Peter Turkson - so there :P
(02-11-2013, 09:52 AM)Tim Wrote: Yeah, it's so silly Cardinal Spellman hired a boat and filled it with sheep and sailed up and down the Tiber before the Conclave.

But . . . that is silly.
I'm new to this site and have never heard of this until today. My husband said when he was in Rome the church St. Paul outside the walls; Has pictures of all the Popes and when he was there, there were only two slots left open. He was there when JP2 was Pope. Do you think this was designed like that because of St. Malachy? I saw this on wiki about the next and final Pope in the prophecy:112 Peter the Roman, who will nourish the sheep in many tribulations; when they are finished, the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the dreadful judge will judge his people. The end.

I think St. Malachy's prophecy can only be true if some Popes, both pre- and post- conciliar, turn out to be false, but there's no way of determining that unless you're in Heaven. 

My general approach to St. Malachy's VAGUE prophecy is generally... disregard.

Unless he had ***other*** prophecies that came true?
I have been told about this prophesy since I was a kid and always thought it must be true because St Malachy was a Saint.

Is that an overly simplistic view?  ???

Can anyone explain why others are calling this a "silly" prophesy? 
(02-11-2013, 11:44 AM)CatholicMatthew Wrote: I have been told about this prophesy since I was a kid and always thought it must be true because St Malachy was a Saint.

Is that an overly simplistic view?   ???

Can anyone explain why others are calling this a "silly" prophesy? 

Because it required a great deal of faith.

But the Church doesn't officially endorse (or deny) it either way, so don't let it bother you :)

Personally, I think the huge reaction people are having to what St Malachy supposedly said ("OMG PETRUS ROMANUS NEXT!") all over Facebook and the blogosphere says a lot about our current period in history and people's gnawing hunger for something - anything - to return the spiritual to their lives. Even if it is a mouldy old prophecy.