Is The Next Pope The Last?
Is the next Pope to be the last Pope? There are the 'Prophecies' of Malachy and his predictions about Peter The Roman as the last of the Popes. Many find him hard to believe and I am unsure about him as well, but there are a number of other prophecies about the last Pope and they are no more encouraging:

Many Past Saints Have Prophesied Invasion of Rome & Pope Fleeing to Shortly Die afterwards!

Sister Elena Aiello (20th Century, Italy)
Oh, what a horrible vision I see! A great revolution is going on in Rome! They are entering the Vatican. The Pope is all alone; he is praying. They are holding the Pope. They take him by force. They knock him down to the floor. They are tying him. Oh. God! Oh, God! They are kicking him. What a horrible scene! How dreadful!

Russia will march upon all the nations of Europe, particularly Italy, and will raise her flag over the dome of St. Peter´s. Italy will be severely tried by a great revolution, and Rome will be purified in blood for its many sins, especially those of impurity. The flock is about to be dispersed and the Pope will suffer greatly." (Albert J. Hebert, Prophecies! the Chastisement and Purification!, P.O. Box 309, Paulina, LA 70763)

The Ecstatic of Tours (19th Century)
Before the war breaks out again, food will be scarce and expensive. There will be little work for the workers, and fathers will hear their children crying for food. There will be earthquakes and signs in the sun. Toward the end, darkness will cover the earth. When everyone believes that peace is ensured, when everyone least expects it, the great happening will begin. Revolution will break out in Italy almost at the same time as in France. For some time the Church will be without a Pope.

Venerable Bartholomew Holzhauser (17th Century)
These are the evil times, a century full of dangers and calamities. Heresy is everywhere, and the followers of heresy are in power almost everywhere. but God will permit a great evil against His Church: Heretics and tyrants will come suddenly and unexpectedly; they will break into the Church. They will enter Italy and lay Rome waste; they will burn down churches and destroy everything.

John of the Cleft Rock (14th Century)
Towards the end of the world, tyrants and hostile mobs will rob the Church and the clergy of all their possessions and will afflict and martyr them. Those who heap the most abuse upon them will be held in high esteem.
At that time, the Pope with his cardinals will have to flee Rome in tragic circumstances to a place where they will be unknown. The Pope will die a cruel death in his exile. The sufferings of the Church will be much greater than at any previous time in her history. But God will raise a holy Pope, and the Angels will rejoice. Enlightened by God, this man will rebuild almost the whole world through his holiness. He will lead everyone to the true Faith. (Yves Dupont, Catholic Prophecy, Tan Books and Publishers, 1973)

Pope Pius IX (1878)
There will come a great wonder, which will fill the world with astonishment. This wonder will be preceded by the triumph of revolution. The church will suffer exceedingly. Her servants and her chieftain will be mocked, scourged, and martyred.

John of Vitiguerro (13th Century)
The pope will change his residence and the Church will not be defended for twenty-five months or more because, during all that time there will be no Pope in Rome... After many tribulations, a Pope shall be elected out of those who survived the persecutions.

Pius X
During an audience for the general chapter of the Franciscan order in 1909, the pontiff appeared to enter a trance. Those present remained motionless and silent. After a few moments, Pius opened his eyes, rose from his seat, and cried, "What I have seen is terrifying! Will I be the one, or will it be a successor? What is certain is that the Pope will leave Rome and, in leaving the Vatican, he will have to pass over the dead bodies of his priests!" He then cautioned the witnesses, "Do not tell anyone this while I am alive."
Just before his death, Pius had another vision. "I have seen one of my successors, of the same name, who was fleeing over the bodies of his brethren. He will take refuge in some hiding place; but after a brief respite, he will die a cruel death.This perversity is nothing less than the beginning of the last days of the world."
Just to add a quote from another thread that seems to support this thought:

By WhollyRomanCatholic:

Windswept House describes a satanic ritual - the enthronement of Lucifer - taking place at Saint-Paul's Chapel inside Vatican City, on June 29, 1963. The book gives a scary depiction of high ranking churchmen, cardinals, archbishops and prelatees of the Roman curia, taking oaths signed with their own blood, plotting to destroy the Church from within. It tells the story of an international organized attempt by these Vatican insiders and secular internationalists to force a pope of the Catholic Church to abdicate, so that a successor may be chosen that will fundamentally change orthodox faith and establish a New World Order.

The timing looks good for this to happen now. One must wonder...I do!
Quote: Just before his death, Pius had another vision. "I have seen one of my successors, of the same name, who was fleeing over the bodies of his brethren. He will take refuge in some hiding place; but after a brief respite, he will die a cruel death.This perversity is nothing less than the beginning of the last days of the world."

If this prophecy is true, and the next pope takes the name Pius III, wow. Hunker down.
This is from an email I just received and the author seems to support this view:

Papal Prophecy of St. Malachy Says There Will be Just One More Pope After Benedict

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/20116

Pope Benedict XVI announced Monday morning that he would be stepping down as the head of the Catholic Church, making him the first Pope to step down rather than die in the position in more than 600 years. A new pope will be selected by the end of March. There will undoubtedly be much speculation about who will take over the reigns of the Catholic Church, but one thing that we can look to for some guidance about who might be the the next pope are the infamous papal prophecies of St. Malachy. St. Malachy, the first Irish saint, had a vision of the next 112 popes. We've had 111 since, and are on the verge of seeing No. 112, which Malachy says will be the final pope before the end of the world as we know it.

In 1139, Malachy was Archibishop and traveled to Rome from ireland to give an account of his affairs. While in Rome, Malachy received a vision about the future which included the name of every pope, 112 in total, from his time until the end of time. We currently are at the end of the second to last prophecy, with Benedict XVI at the helm.

St. Malachy had written about the 112th pope:

"In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will reign Peter the Roman, who will feed his flock amid many tribulations, after which the seven-hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people. The End."

St. Malachy prophesized that the final pope would be "Peter the Roman", which is interesting because no pope to date has chosen the name of Peter out of respect for Peter the Apostle. There has also been speculation that the final pope would be black. Even more curiously, there is a black cardinal in Ghana, Peter Turkson, who is believed to be a frontrunner and whose name has come up in previous discussions of papal appointment.

Cardinal Turkson has said in the past that "if God would wish to see a black man also as pope, thanks be to God." Catholic Church chronicler Rocco Palmo has called Turkson the lone Scripture scholar in the Pope's "Senate", and believes that his status as a potential "papabile" has been elevated due to his 2009 appointment as spokesman for the Second Synod for Africa.

Outside of the Church, there are also many who believe that Turkson is the favorite to take over as pontiff. Even the London bookmakers believe he's the top choice. Odds comparison site Oddschecker.com lists Turkson at best price odds of 4/1, and as short as 2/1 with some firms. Francis Arinze, the Nigerian Cardinal, is also a huge favorite with the bookies.

There are some who insist that Malachy did not say that the last pope he mentioned would be the 112th pope, insisting that he was merely the last, and theorizing that there could be more popes to come between Benedict and "Peter the Roman". However, this is not a belief that everyone subscribes to and many believe that "Peter the Roman" will be both the 112th and last pope of the Catholic Church.

Malachy's prophecies are taken very seriously as they've been uncannily accurate to date. Will the Catholic Church get its first black pope? Will "Peter the Roman" lead us into the End Times? These questions are set to be answered by Easter, which comes this year at the end of March when the papal conclave announces their decision.

Pope Benedict XVI announced his decision to step down due to health concerns just days ahead of the start of the Lenten season. He is due to step down officially on February 28. The announcement surprised even his inner circle, who were said to be unaware that he was planning to step down.

The College of Cardinals is charged with electing the new pope, who according to Pope John Paul II's apostolic constitution, must be cardinals under the age of 80. Pope Benedict XVI established current procedures, which were amended by a motu proprio dated June 11, 2007. A two-third majority vote is required to elect the new pope.

I'm betting most Popes don't fit the VAGUE descriptions of St. Malachy's prophecy.
(02-11-2013, 11:07 AM)LoneWolfRadTrad Wrote: I'm betting most Popes don't fit the VAGUE descriptions of St. Malachy's prophecy.

If Turkson becomes pope, I'm going to tell St Malachy you said that.

:grin:
(02-11-2013, 10:08 AM)Zedta Wrote: Is the next Pope to be the last Pope? There are the 'Prophecies' of Malachy and his predictions about Peter The Roman as the last of the Popes.

No.

Even if one credits the Prophecies of St. Malachy, they merely state that Peter the Roman will be the last pope.  They do not say that Peter the Roman will immediately follow Gloria Olivae.
Those "prophecies" should not be taken as gospel.  

Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are to be taken as Gospel.

Gospel of St. Mark, Chapter 13:

[31] Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my word shall not pass away. [32] But of that day or hour no man knoweth, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father. [Mark 13:32] [Latin] [33] Take ye heed, watch and pray. For ye know not when the time is. [34] Even as a man who going into a far country, left his house; and gave authority to his servants over every work, and commanded the porter to watch. [35] Watch ye therefore, (for you know not when the lord of the house cometh: at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning,)

([32] Nor the Son: Not that the Son of God is absolutely ignorant of the day of judgment, but that he knoweth it not, as our teacher; that is, he knoweth it not so as to teach it to us, as not being expedient.  In other words, the Son of God knew, but it was not expedient to teach it to the disciples.)

[36] Lest coming on a sudden, he find you sleeping. [37] And what I say to you, I say to all: Watch.

(02-11-2013, 10:34 AM)DustinsDad Wrote:
Quote: Just before his death, Pius had another vision. "I have seen one of my successors, of the same name, who was fleeing over the bodies of his brethren. He will take refuge in some hiding place; but after a brief respite, he will die a cruel death.This perversity is nothing less than the beginning of the last days of the world."

If this prophecy is true, and the next pope takes the name Pius III, wow. Hunker down.
They have th same name! Josef and Giuseppe are both forms of Joseph!!!
Peter the Roman= One of the Cardinals stationed in the Vatican?