What can I bring to be blessed
I am planning on making a special trip into Houston to get holy water and the like.  I don't trust my local priests to use the proper old form, so I'm going to the nearest FSSP chapel.  I'm certain the holy water will be there for me to get (although I will of course call ahead to make sure), but can I get blessed salt? What about oil? Candles of course.  Should I bring my own salt? Should I bring my own oil?  I'm asking here among friends because I'm such a Catholic NOOB I'm afraid of embarrassing myself by pestering the good Father with stupid questions.  I know he won't roll his eyes or any thing, but I'm still terribly self conscious about these sorts of things, and I don't want to be presumptuous or ask for things that are a priest's domain.
The only thing I would ask about is the blessed salt- I'm not sure about that one.  If you have medals, rosaries, crucifixes, and pictures - bring them along, too. 
Yes; salt and oil. Just put them in nice-ish containers.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Call the priest ahead of time and make an appointment.

Tell him what blessings you'll be requesting.

I'd take a box and put in canisters of salt, bottles of olive oil, etc.

You can have all those things blessed. Bring enough so you won't run out for awhile, if the trip's a bit much for you. Nothing wrong with bringing several canisters of salt, etc.

You can read the Roman Ritual online in English translation to get an idea of what you can and will be asking for. There are all sorts of blessings.

If you can, I'd suggest buying some bulk medals of St. Benedict and having these blessed too. Very helpful. Very inexpensive.

Asking for a lot of blessings you need to pray for God's help to receive them in preparation and for your journey, et all, as there will likely be some spiritual resistance. Add some extra prayers to your daily spiritual protection prayers and pray especially for the safe journey beyond the usual prayers for safe journies.
Thank you Shin and Jacafamala.  I intend to make many many rosaries (I do it as a business too) and have them blessed, as well as the medals and crucifixes that I and my family wear.  I will look into buying several St. Benedict metals too.  Thank you, that is a wonderful idea.
I may feel silly bringing a couple of canisters and a big bottle of HEB extra virgin olive oil, but I feel the need. :)  Do you think requesting a gallon of holy water a bit excessive?  :LOL:
I have smaller prettier containers at home, but I do intend to bring the bulk bottles for efficiency.
That's great news, knittycat!  :)

A priest can bless holy books too - Bibles or any Catholic books.  He can bless vehicles and even bicycles too - any form of transportation.  And of course he'd probably be happy to give you his priestly blessing, for which reception you'd be on your knees, just like at Mass.
(02-11-2013, 04:58 PM)knittycat Wrote: Thank you Shin and Jacafamala.  I intend to make many many rosaries (I do it as a business too) and have them blessed, as well as the medals and crucifixes that I and my family wear.  I will look into buying several St. Benedict metals too.  Thank you, that is a wonderful idea.
I may feel silly bringing a couple of canisters and a big bottle of HEB extra virgin olive oil, but I feel the need. :)  Do you think requesting a gallon of holy water a bit excessive?   :LOL:
I have smaller prettier containers at home, but I do intend to bring the bulk bottles for efficiency.

Respectfully, I think you should get something intended for the sole purpose of housing the blessed salt and oil. Doesn't have to be your granmama's good crystal, just a container without labels. b
Blessed things are holy things and should be set apart as such.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Oh good.  The idea of bringing the salt and oil to him in their original containers felt very strange, and I did not intend to do so.  I'm going to decant them into different bottles.  Big ones, but different than the ones I purchaced them in.  I'm glad to know I wasn't just being weird about it.
Have a great trip. Hope to hear about it afterwards.  :)
(02-11-2013, 05:04 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Respectfully, I think you should get something intended for the sole purpose of housing the blessed salt and oil. Doesn't have to be your granmama's good crystal, just a container without labels. b
Blessed things are holy things and should be set apart as such.

:grin:

Have a safe trip!  :)