Tradition and the Future
...and had there been no Vatican II, places like this with debate over these things would have never been.

tim
To see the zeal of the laity in the 50s, read about the address of Pope Pius XII to the pilgrims at Fatima. There were MILLIONS of them crowded before the basilica. They were standing there all night IN THE RAIN. I think it was in Fr. di Marchi's book where I read this, I'm not sure. I've heard Fulton Sheen mention all-night vigils in different places in Europe, which was common. There can be no doubt that the laity was zealous, and the only reason they all went astray is because they trusted their shepherds. The shepherds revolted, and the sheep, confused, scattered in all directions. The uber-obedient followed along and learned a new religion. The street-wise faithful headed for the hills, perhaps losing the faith for a while until they found some traditional oasis and rediscovered home. Anybody, like Tim, who actually has memories of pre-Vatican-2 times is lucky to have seen it with their own eyes.
Wasn't it Pope Leo XIII after the vision that paraphrased Scripture with when the Shepherd is struck the sheep scatter. Prophetic !

tim
I wonder if Father Joseph Kramer and Father Paul Kramer that sometimes has articles in the Fatima Crusader are related?
(02-19-2013, 02:53 PM)charlesh Wrote: To see the zeal of the laity in the 50s, read about the address of Pope Pius XII to the pilgrims at Fatima. There were MILLIONS of them crowded before the basilica. They were standing there all night IN THE RAIN. I think it was in Fr. di Marchi's book where I read this, I'm not sure. I've heard Fulton Sheen mention all-night vigils in different places in Europe, which was common. There can be no doubt that the laity was zealous, and the only reason they all went astray is because they trusted their shepherds. The shepherds revolted, and the sheep, confused, scattered in all directions. The uber-obedient followed along and learned a new religion. The street-wise faithful headed for the hills, perhaps losing the faith for a while until they found some traditional oasis and rediscovered home. Anybody, like Tim, who actually has memories of pre-Vatican-2 times is lucky to have seen it with their own eyes.

Yeah I remember when I was a kid in the 1950's and early 60s there would be Rosary rallies at the Memorial Center, which holds about 4 or 5,000.  On Sunday nights the TV would always be dialed into the Fulton Sheen Show.