Papal frontrunners
Would Cardinal Turkson be a good Pope towards tradition.  What do you think?

Also would Cardinals Ouellet or Burke be the best Pope for tradition?

Lets talk about the different frontrunners and their pros and cons. 
Turkson made comments seen as campaigning for the papacy which will all but assure that it's not him.
Yeah, I read that Telegraph article where Turkson talked.  He came off as not really someone I would trust in the office of pope if I were a cardinal.
Agreed. In the wake of the humble Benedict, no one's going to want a showman.
Cardinal Turkson, like most African prelates, supports some use of condoms.
What do you all think about Scola and Bagnasco?
What about Cardinal Arinze? He's very orthodox and despite being African he is against contraceptives.
(02-14-2013, 11:36 PM)mortify Wrote: What about Cardinal Arinze? He's very orthodox and despite being African he is against contraceptives.

He's 80 and won't be at the conclave. It's unlikely they will elect someone not at the conclave. Plus as Benedict is resigning because he is too old I doubt they will pick someone only 5 years younger. 
(02-14-2013, 04:28 PM)a83192 Wrote: Would Cardinal Turkson be a good Pope towards tradition.  What do you think?

Also would Cardinals Ouellet or Burke be the best Pope for tradition?

Lets talk about the different frontrunners and their pros and cons. 

Smile
The new pope will be a man of the Council.  Although it is unlikely he will have attended it, his seminary formation will have been imbued with its spirit from start to finish.  As such, hoping for a full-on restoration of anything is simply whistling past the graveyard.

Ranjith and Burke are our best hopes and even they will merely continue the "relatively more traditional than JPII" path of his predecessor. I also think they both have a slightly better than zero chance of getting elected.

Sorry, I know y'all are hoping for a trad-Mass saying, Russia-consecrating, modernist-anathematizing, liberal smiting fire breather, but such a man is not currently in the College.  Maybe someday, when the Council is nothing but a quaint note in the history books....