Is that a Society priest in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
Interesting analysis.  I guess it's all armchair quarterbacking...for now.  Eventually, the proof will be in the pudding. Time will tell.  I'd say more, but I hit the cliche limit.
(02-16-2013, 03:08 PM)Allan Wrote:
(02-16-2013, 02:36 PM)GodFirst Wrote: Am I one of the only ones who is hopeful about the next pope? Who's with me?
Not I.  Only God knows if the abdication was pleasing or offensive.  The evidence thus far?  Lightning. Meteors raining down destruction. 

Let those who have eyes, etc.

Personally...I think this could be it. 
I disagree. We can know and, in fact, do know. Sin alone is offensive to God. It is clear what the Holy Father thinks he ought to do. How dare we conjecture that he is acting against his own conscience, i.e. sinning?
What you see as evidence, appears to me to be rather signs, and I interpret them differently. To me the lightning is a sign of God's judgment (which is not necessarily a bad thing). God judges even His elect too. And the meteor over Russia and also Cuba is perhaps a sign of warning for the Communists and of the necessary of her apostolic consecration to the Immaculate Heart of His Mother.
You know Russia isn't communist anymore, right?  (And it could possibly be argued it never really was either, but let that go for now.)

So the Holy Father, in your view, can only sin in the matter of his abdication if he acted against HIS own conscience?  Interesting conception of "sin"....

I would have thought the issue was whether or not he acted in accordance with (vs. contrary to) the will of God.  Did Cardinal Ratzinger say "Accepto" when he was asked if he accepted election as Pope? Or did he say "Pro tem Accepto"? Did he accept the entire cup set before him by his Father? Or put it back half consumed? Did he do his will or His will? 

These are the salient questions I think, and they have nothing to do with his conscience.

Personally, I think it was a betrayal and a bad choice.  But do I KNOW? No, I do not.  Almighty God knows. I suspect we may find our in due course.....
(02-16-2013, 11:55 AM)TS Aquinas Wrote:
(02-16-2013, 11:39 AM)DrBombay Wrote: Why would God punish the entire Church because he didn't like the actions of Benedict XVI?  ???

Wouldn't be the first time God punished His flock for the actions of the leader, remember David.

David is of the Old Covenant.

Jesus Christ brought the New Covenant.

(02-17-2013, 12:27 AM)Revixit Wrote:
(02-16-2013, 11:55 AM)TS Aquinas Wrote:
(02-16-2013, 11:39 AM)DrBombay Wrote: Why would God punish the entire Church because he didn't like the actions of Benedict XVI?  ???

Wouldn't be the first time God punished His flock for the actions of the leader, remember David.

David is of the Old Covenant.

Jesus Christ brought the New Covenant.

Ok?
(02-16-2013, 10:05 AM)Allan Wrote: To be clear...I can see this happening as a just punishment for abdicating the papacy and refusing the cup chosen for him by Our Lord.  Of course, I can only speculate as to whether it was the "right" decision, but The Lord KNOWS.  If it was the wrong move, His wrath is coming.

Personally, I think it was a very bad move.  It has devalued the papacy into just another job without any special sacred character. 

Hence the lightening?
What's with the title of this thread? Immature and suggestive...  This is a Catholic forum isn't it?
(02-16-2013, 08:27 PM)Allan Wrote: You know Russia isn't communist anymore, right?  (And it could possibly be argued it never really was either, but let that go for now.)

So the Holy Father, in your view, can only sin in the matter of his abdication if he acted against HIS own conscience?  Interesting conception of "sin"....

I would have thought the issue was whether or not he acted in accordance with (vs. contrary to) the will of God.  Did Cardinal Ratzinger say "Accepto" when he was asked if he accepted election as Pope? Or did he say "Pro tem Accepto"? Did he accept the entire cup set before him by his Father? Or put it back half consumed? Did he do his will or His will? 

These are the salient questions I think, and they have nothing to do with his conscience.

Personally, I think it was a betrayal and a bad choice.  But do I KNOW? No, I do not.  Almighty God knows. I suspect we may find our in due course.....
Russia is in fact still communist and most of the rest of the world is becoming so. "Capitalism" is just another term for communism, namely, wealth being concentrated in the hands of a few (evil) men.

Yes, Allan, that is the Catholic definition of sin, to go against your own conscience, whether informed or uninformed. God can show us His Will through our own conscience. The Pope has the right to resign from the Office as he holds it by his free will. Petrine Office is not a Sacrament. What cup are you speaking of? The chalice of suffering? I don't see how the Pope is not accepting his sufferings. I think he is accepting them all the more actually by expressing that they make him incapable of exercising the Supreme Office adequately. Is he somehow rejecting his sufferings? Can his will not be God's WIll?

They have everything to do with his conscience for only he has the responsiblilty and ability with God's help to determine his capability of exercising his Office.
The hatred of the Pope on here is demonic and diabolical. There is nothing wrong or evil about the Pope resigning. The man is blind in at least one eye and for all we know he is probably dying. I would rather have him resign then to be like Pope JPII who was making decrees after he had died. Get real people.

Oh, and by the way, I expect all you people who have a problem with the Pope's resignation to continue in your job if you ever become blind or get cancer or have some other illness that will result in your death within weeks or months.
(02-20-2013, 10:52 PM)Petertherock Wrote: The hatred of the Pope on here is demonic and diabolical. There is nothing wrong or evil about the Pope resigning. The man is blind in at least one eye and for all we know he is probably dying. I would rather have him resign then to be like Pope JPII who was making decrees after he had died. Get real people.

Oh, and by the way, I expect all you people who have a problem with the Pope's resignation to continue in your job if you ever become blind or get cancer or have some other illness that will result in your death within weeks or months.
The whole point is that the Papacy is not just a job.