Opinions on new Reuters article on Pope Benedict
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/1...ZI20130215

Can the Pope really be to blamed for not using his vatican muscles regarding child abuse back when he was a cardinal? Opinions please!
People will accuse and sue for anything but there is no basis for this.  When he was Cardinal he was known for being the main force working to stop cover-ups of child abusers. It's like blaming the fire fighters for your house burning down because they were around when it happened.
I do not believe anything the media says about politics, why would I believe what the media says about the Church?
Upon further investigation I discovered that the International Tribunal into Crimes of Church and State is the one pushing this rumour. The ITCCS is a website ran by one man. I don't know if this has been discussed on here or not yet.

I tend to be ignorant when it comes to politics and sex scandals, as it is all upsetting to me. So, I don't really know Benedict's history as a Cardinal being involved in any of the cover ups/revealing cover ups. Anyone care to shed some light on this for me? I'd like to be well armed for the next person that confronts me with this.

Thanks!
(02-17-2013, 05:03 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/1...ZI20130215

Can the Pope really be to blamed for not using his vatican muscles regarding child abuse back when he was a cardinal? Opinions please!

Thanks for the link.
http://www.holysoulshermitage.com Father Beyers is a hermit that prays and offers Mass (The TLM only) for all priests but besides that his site has some good stuff on the sex scandals in general and how in a lot of cases priests are falsely accused. That being said there are evil priests but there are also many good ones, some who are falsley accused. Reuters, like any other MSM outlet, seeks to tarnish the image of the Church any way it can.
What more could have have done?  He was the man who was most responsible for trying to help the situation.  It was because of him that so much bureaucratic red tape was done away with.  And he was repeatedly opposed in his endeavors to bring abusers to justice.  Look at the whole bother with the Maciel affair.  And he did all of this when the majority of abuse cases weren't even his concern since the CDF wasn't given competence in them the early 2000s.
(02-17-2013, 05:53 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: Upon further investigation I discovered that the International Tribunal into Crimes of Church and State is the one pushing this rumour. The ITCCS is a website ran by one man. I don't know if this has been discussed on here or not yet.

I tend to be ignorant when it comes to politics and sex scandals, as it is all upsetting to me. So, I don't really know Benedict's history as a Cardinal being involved in any of the cover ups/revealing cover ups. Anyone care to shed some light on this for me? I'd like to be well armed for the next person that confronts me with this.

Thanks!

Kevin Annett of the ITCCS has been debunct as a fraud in this thread MorganHiver.
http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...080.0.html

The article in the opening post says "In 2010, for example, Benedict was named as a defendant in a law suit alleging that he failed to take action as a cardinal in 1995 when he was allegedly told about a priest who had abused boys at a U.S. school for the deaf decades earlier."  That was about Rembert Weakland the former Archbishop of Milwaukee's coverup which Pope Benedict, as the Pope or Cardinal Ratzinger could not have prevented.  Weakland was pretty sleazy, he eventually came out as a homosexual himself.

JayneK is right when she says "People will accuse and sue for anything but there is no basis for this.  When he was Cardinal he was known for being the main force working to stop cover-ups of child abusers. It's like blaming the fire fighters for your house burning down because they were around when it happened."
In my opinion Cardinal Ratzinger appeared to be the only one taking the sex excuse scandal seriously.  The big culprit with regards to deriliction of duty was Pope JP II.  As soon as he was gone, Pope Benedict went after the homo leader of the legion.

As far as the question of the OP, this article is complete BS.  No country is going to try to go after the Pope, even a former Pope.  Not yet anyway.  That would be an act of war.  And getting down to it, the Pope didn't break any laws.  I can see some bishops (rightly) being jailed, but that is as high as it goes.

The people mentioned in the article are Dawkins and Hitchens.  They carry no authority.  I'm calling for the arrest of Netenyahu.  Does anyone take me seriously?