"Goodbye, Catholic Moment"
(02-19-2013, 08:23 PM)OldMan Wrote: Once in the early 1990's, as an observer at a NO ecumenical Vesper service, I heard Richard Neuhaus preach. While I will admit he was a powerful speaker he did say that he "never stopped being a Lutheran." Quite astounding in my estimation.

That is very strange.  I don't suppose he explained what he meant?
(02-21-2013, 11:26 AM)Revixit Wrote:
(02-19-2013, 08:23 PM)OldMan Wrote: Once in the early 1990's, as an observer at a NO ecumenical Vesper service, I heard Richard Neuhaus preach. While I will admit he was a powerful speaker he did say that he "never stopped being a Lutheran." Quite astounding in my estimation.

That is very strange.  I don't suppose he explained what he meant?

I can explain a bit. Fr. Neuhaus was the Lutheran representative on the agreement which was reached with the Catholic Church. Luther was off on  a tangent, but his Lutheran idea on justification was Catholic and the problem was semantical. It took a long time for us to get through to them we were both saying the same thing. I had a buddy who was Lutheran and we'd go around and around on this. He didn't understand the Catholic Epistles like James, "faith without works is dead".  The thought we were semi-pelegian, and were saved by works. Where they say "works" come from loving God. So Fr. Neuhaus interpreted Catholic into Lutheran after he learned to speak Catholic. So he felt on this point we had been saying the same thing using different languages. This is fro reading him in First Things and seeing him on EWTN.

tim