Elephant ears and deep-fried Twinkies
Those are just two of the delicacies I passed up at the county fair yesterday. The same vendor also had deep-fried Milky Ways and Snickers.

I did indulge in a thoroughly messy gyro and some homemade ice cream. Luckily that was before I saw the CHOCOLATE DIPPED CHEESECAKE on a stick. If I ever try something that scrumptious sounding, I might never recover from gluttony.
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:Those are just two of the delicacies I passed up at the county fair yesterday. The same vendor also had deep-fried Milky Ways and Snickers.

I did indulge in a thoroughly messy gyro and some homemade ice cream. Luckily that was before I saw the CHOCOLATE DIPPED CHEESECAKE on a stick. If I ever try something that scrumptious sounding, I might never recover from gluttony.

Homemade ice cream! [Image: heartsmiley.gif] And, to use my husband's silly pronunciation which I've adopted, EFFENANT EARS!

Yummeroosky! Any dough that is fried and covered with sugar and cinnamon is FINE by me. Churros, those Italian rosettas or whatever they're called --  At my family's bakery, we used to make these things we called "fans" -- triangles of puff pastry dough baked with sugar and cinnamon on them. The sugar would carmelize in places and give a good little crunch -- mmmmm... How could you pass up an elephant ear? Is it a diet thing? A penance thing? Or are you just insane? (or a, b, AND c? LOL)

I'd posted a recipe for those Deep-Fried Twinkies before (I think it was the old forum). I've never eaten or made them, and think it'd take a lotta courage to do either, but I'll repost it here for anyone with guts and a sense of adventure. I've heard they are actually quite good!:

Deep-Fried Twinkies

For Twinkies:
6 Twinkies
Popsicle sticks
4 cups vegetable oil
Flour for dusting

For batter:
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon oil
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Chill or freeze Twinkies for several hours or overnight.

Heat 4 cups vegetable oil in deep fryer to about 375 degrees.
To make batter: Mix together milk, vinegar and oil. In another bowl, blend flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk wet ingredients into dry and continue mixing until smooth. Refrigerate while oil heats.

Push stick into Twinkie lengthwise, leaving about 2 inches to use as a handle, dust with flour and dip into the batter. Rotate Twinkie until batter covers entire cake. Place carefully in hot oil. The Twinkie will float, so hold it under with a utensil to ensure even browing. It should turn golden in 3 to 4 minutes. Depending on the size of your deep fryer, you might be able to fry only one at a time, two at the most.

Remove Twinkie to paper towel and let drain. Remove stick and allow Twinkie to sit for about 5 minutes before serving. Serve with berry sauce.
Makes 6.

Berry Sauce

1 10-ounce jar of seedless raspberry preserves
1 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries

In a saucepan, heat preserves over low heat until melted. Add 1 cup of fresh or frozen mixed berries. Heat until sauce just simmers. Cover; refrigerate until served. Makes 1 1/2 cups.

LOL Vox, I take it an Elephant ear is some kind of pastry??

I thought it was real elephant ear, roasted or fried or something!!! [Image: jestera.gif]

I was sitting here thinking "Man, wouldn't that be an expensive delicacy?"

DominusTecum Wrote:LOL Vox, I take it an Elephant ear is some kind of pastry??

I thought it was real elephant ear, roasted or fried or something!!! [Image: jestera.gif]

I was sitting here thinking "Man, wouldn't that be an expensive delicacy?" 

Ohhhh, my poor, poor, DEAR boy! You've never had an elephant ear??? I weep for you, Eric! Yes, it is a fried dough involving no wild beasties from Africa or India or any zoo! I found this picture through Google so you can see what one looks like:

[Image: mmm_greasy_elephant_ear.jpg]

And here's a recipe for you I found on the Net! You're at home, right? Ask your Mamma to whup some up for you! Eat them warm!

Elephant Ears

2 packages dry yeast

1/2 cup warm water

1/3 cup sugar

3/4 cup milk

2 eggs

4-1/4 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

Vegetable oil for frying

* Sprinkle yeast over warm water in small bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the sugar and stir until yeast is dissolved. Let stand undisturbed until bubbly, about 10 minutes.

* Combine remaining sugar, milk, eggs, 3 cups flour, salt and yeast mixture in large bowl. Beat with electric mixer at medium speed for 3 minutes. Beat in remaining flour. Dough will be soft. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

* Heat oil in an electric skillet to 375 degrees (make sure you maintain this temperature otherwise the ears will absorb too much oil and have an unpleasant taste).

* Grab a handful of dough, turn out on oiled surface and pat to a 6-inch circle. Fry until lightly browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels.

* Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve immediately. Makes 10 to 12 ears.

You will hate me for this, Eric!

Quote: How could you pass up an elephant ear?

I do like them, but as you can see from the pic that they are a bit daunting. It's not like they are Krispy Kremes of something!

Do you like funnel cakes, too? I have never tried one of those amazing looking creations.

[Image: funnelcake.jpg]
Oh my gosh! I would cheerfully throw myself in front of a bus for a funnel cake. [Image: gen053.gif] Those things are da bomb!
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote: 
I do like them, but as you can see from the pic that they are a bit daunting. It's not like they are Krispy Kremes of something!

Yes, they are large. If you're not a sow like me, it's definitely the kind of thing one must share. Perhaps with a family of 4 LOL

Quote:Do you like funnel cakes, too? I have never tried one of those amazing looking creations.

Funnel cakes are -- well, the thought brings tears of joy to my eyes. One must have some black coffee to go with, though (but that goes for anything sweet in my book!) [/QUOTE]
JLeigh Wrote:Oh my gosh! I would cheerfully throw myself in front of a bus for a funnel cake. [Image: gen053.gif] Those things are da bomb!

Just stay away from mine, girlie! LOL
If you live near a Portuguese bakery, you MUST try "Pastéis de Nata" (also known as Pastéis de Belém), or Portuguese custard tarts. Make sure they're fresh! They're soooooo good......I wish I could have a couple right now (you can't eat just one!).
[Image: picksxEkS.jpg]
It's when we have threads like this that I occasionally wish I lived someplace where they DO have these places. (sigh) As such, I'd have to drive an hour and a half into St. Louis to find anything approximating a Portuguese bakery... I'm sure it would be worth it, but it seems a little ...decadent... to drive all that way for a pastry!